1845 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat Brewmeister

Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002
Yeast Starter
1 L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 at 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
25 at 64F
Tasting Notes
Sherry, raisin, caramel, malty, low hop flavor and aroma, low bitterness
10.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
1.00 lbs. Aromatic Malt
0.75 lbs. Amber Malt
0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L
0.25 lbs. Crystal 40L
0.25 lbs. Crystal 60L
0.25 lbs. Crystal 80L
0.50 lbs. Special B Malt

2.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.2%AA 90 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.2%AA 20 min.

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.15
Saccharification Rest Temp : 156F
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %

Yeast: WLP002

This was my first attempt to clone Fuller's 1845. The original has a bit more bitterness and is a bit lighter in color, but this is a decent approximation. After aging just over 2 years, it received a runner up BOS out of 135 entries in our club competition. Judges' notes included: Sherry aroma, dark fruit esters, no hop aroma; sweet malty caramel, raisin-like rich flavors, molasses flavors throughout, low biterness; heavy body, very smooth.

Only negative comment was that it could use more alcohol warmth. It is at the low end of the style guidelines for OG (to match Fuller's 1845), and if I were to brew this again, I would bump up the base malt by 2 to 3 pounds. The hops were a bit low as well and since the beer benefits from aging, it could stand a 40% increase in hops in addition to a 15 to 20% hop bump to balance the additional base malt (putting it closer to the center of the style guidelines for IBUs).

View attachment 1845 Clone.xml

Back