Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > AG - Water Into Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 AM   #81
lordmorphous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just bought the ingredients for this and will be brewing as soon as I get the maple syrup...going to Aldi tomorrow. This will be the first beer I have dry hopped and from reading the thread understand that it is to be done in secondary for anywhere from 1-3 weeks. Should I add the hops during the last 2-3 weeks before bottling, or add the hops in the beginning of secondary and rack a third time to get the beer off the hops?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #82
golfduke
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed this 2 weeks ago yesterday, and checked gravity today- 1.012. I couldn't believe it attenuated that fast. I admit, this was the most violent fermentation I've ever had, but still! I checked it with 2 hydrometers just to make sure, haha.

Anyway, I dryhopped today, and took a sip of the sample. WOW. It is definitely alcoholic right now. A noticeable touch of maple... not bitter at all yet, but I believe a lot of it is masked in the alcoholic finish...

Question- What are peoples thoughts about doing secondary/aging in a keg? I don't want to tie up a carboy for extended lengths of time if I don't have to...

Old 05-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #83
lordmorphous
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this up last week and fly sparged for the first time. I don't think I have a good grasp on the whole fly sparging thing and ended up with 9.5 gallons in the boil kettle at 1.051. Boiled it for for almost 3 hours and ended up filling my carboy to the neck with 1.081 wort. I should have probably boiled another .5 to 1 gallon out of it since I had a 2L starter going for it. Fermentation kicked off within a couple hours and is just now starting to slow down. I plan on racking it to secondary in a couple more days. I'll let it go in secondary for a couple weeks, then dry hop for a couple weeks, then bottle and age. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try one. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #84
LoloMT7
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1248 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorphous View Post
Brewed this up last week and fly sparged for the first time. I don't think I have a good grasp on the whole fly sparging thing and ended up with 9.5 gallons in the boil kettle at 1.051. Boiled it for for almost 3 hours and ended up filling my carboy to the neck with 1.081 wort. I should have probably boiled another .5 to 1 gallon out of it since I had a 2L starter going for it. Fermentation kicked off within a couple hours and is just now starting to slow down. I plan on racking it to secondary in a couple more days. I'll let it go in secondary for a couple weeks, then dry hop for a couple weeks, then bottle and age. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try one. Thanks for the recipe.
I got horrible efficiency when I brewed this also. It was still good beer a rye ale :-)

"Here's to you and here's to me and if we should ever disagree f* you and here's to me." My good Friend pasted away in 2004. In memory of Nick M.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:08 AM   #85
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Ok so I read through all the posts and from what I'm getting from all of this is something like this...... Primary 1 month or so..... secondary 3 months or so then tertiary to dry hop 2-3 weeks... Am I to assume at that point everyone is bottling then bottle conditioning for another few months upwards of a year from brewing the beer ? I have brewed many a beer but never a barleywine and I really don't know the carboy scheduling. For some reason I feel like it should be more like Primary 1 -1.5 weeks than secondary as it will still be putting off a co2 blanket thn age for 4 months then tertiary etc....... any advice on this my brewing knowledge somewhat is contradicting what I see happening and that may very well just be because I've never brewed a beer this big before. any advice is greatly appreciated !!!!

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 06-24-2013, 01:03 PM   #86
DuffBeerMN
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I've been sitting on this for almost 9 months now, and have tried a bottle conditioned one ever since month 6. It definitely needs to sit, the amount of hops and rye seems to really put some harsh bitterness/spiciness in the beer that seems to mellow over time. I've given some sips to a BMC crowd and they really liked it after 8 months and I anticipate it only getting better. I am going to let the rest sit until winter and see where it is then.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #87
Drackean
Recipes 

FWIW, over here it is common practice to boil maple syrup to 238F when it is used for cooking : it is said to reach it's full maple flavor at this point. That is what I done with mine before pouring it in my kettle at flame out.

The batch has been racked on a Nottingham cake at 1098 last week and is still bubbling by now. It has gotten fairly warm (70-72) at the peak of fermentation, despite the use of a swamp cooler.

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #88
DuffBeerMN
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

After about a year and 2 months, its like someone flipped a switch on this brew. All the flavors and harshness has mellowed and blended into a nice rich and very flavorful barelywine. It seemingly took forever, but be patient with this one and stick with a long secondary/bottle condition and you'll be rewarded the longer this sits.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #89
Urkelbot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I brewed 2.5 gallons 1 year ago. I've been drinking 1 a month since last December. Its gotten really good and the last couple of bottles I could taste a slight hint of maple which wasn't there before. I still have about 10 left but will probably brew this again.

Quick Reply