Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Strong Ale > AG - Water Into Barleywine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #11
e lo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewpastor et al., I've got a couple more newb type questions for you, if you don't mind.

1) You talk of the boil duration as though it's a plastic thing, and Ryanh1801, your post certainly seems to bear that out. How do you decide when you've boiled enough? When you hit a target gravity? When you've boiled down to a target volume? If the latter, do you calculate your target volume to hit a specific ... um ... specific gravity based on a gravity reading of your pre-boil wort? Sorry ... I guess this really isn't a question pertaining to this particular brew, but it's something I've been wondering about, and I'm a bit druck (just came from my weekly meeting of Ann Arbor's Thursday Bourbon Club,) so I figured I might as well ask. I've only done one all grain brew so far, and I'm excited to learn more about the process.

2) More specific to this brew: I'm thinking of doing a house/session ale first (probably something very similar to EdWort's Haus Pale), using either WLP001 or Safale US-05, and then pitching the Water-into-Barleywine onto the yeast cake from that. I have the capacity to make a starter up to about 1/2 gallon on my homemade stirplate, but it sure seems to me that moderately overpitching on a 5 gallon cake would be the way to go. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I boiled down to volume, and ended up getting better efficiency than planed. Thing is to get all of the sugars out of the grain you need to sparge with lots of water. I think I had around 13-14 gallons pre-boil and in all reality I needed to sparge more. You can see where you are at pre boil by taking a sample and cooling it, then enter the numbers into Beersmith. I think pitching this on a yeast cake is a good idea, I had a huge starter for this beer.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #13
e lo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

13 - 14 gallons? You scaled this up to a 10 gallon batch, right?

Sorry, I know it's a dumb question. Just want to make sure I'm not missing the boat.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 AM   #14
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e lo
13 - 14 gallons? You scaled this up to a 10 gallon batch, right?

Sorry, I know it's a dumb question. Just want to make sure I'm not missing the boat.
Nope, 5 gallons. With that much grains you need about 10 gallons of sparge water.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #15
mrb

Recipes 

I know there is a simple answer to this, but......

Can this be made with extract? I haven't yet stepped up to
up to the "full grain plate" so to speak. Although, I am in
desperate need for a Barley Wine recipe.

Have A Day,

Mr. B

Primary:Empty Today Full Tomorrow
Secondary One: Old Rasputan Clone
Secondary Two: Empty
Conditioning: nothing yet
Drinking:Wheat Ale, Brown, Imperial Honey IPA, A couple of HB IPAs, a whole lot of Stone, Sam Adams Winter Pack, and plenty of BevMos 22oz stock beers

Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #16
Legitikick
Recipes 

Can anyone shed some light on this question above? I'm wondering the same.

Drinking: Brown Ale
Secondary: Twisted Orca Belgian Ale (and fermenting again, grrrr)
Primary: Honey Steamer Ale

Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 AM   #17
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Extract? no not really. This is a HUGE beer and extract just isn't going to make anything that tastes good.

As for the rediculously long boil times, a fan aimed at the top of the kettle does wonders for reducing boil-down time. i find that my propane regulator needs to be turned WAY up to keep a boil going and a gallon can be boiled off in a matter of minutes. I haven't found the balls to step up to a barley wine yet.... but soon.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 03-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
TheBCrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
Extract? no not really. This is a HUGE beer and extract just isn't going to make anything that tastes good.

I would have to disagree, I have made great tasting barley wines with extract, partial mash and all-grain recipes. For a very simple 5 gallon extract version try 12 lbs pale liquid malt extract with 6 oz. galena hops. 90 minute boil with 4 oz at 60 minutes remaining, 1 oz at 15 minutes and 1 oz at 5 minutes. Pitch your favorite American Ale yeast, primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 6-8 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
I haven't found the balls to step up to a barley wine yet.... but soon.
I don't think its appropriate to comment on something that you yourself have never done - all it does is discourage other people from trying something new or different which may very well work for them. After all, that's what homebrewing is all about - trying things out for yourself and pushing the envelope.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:19 AM   #19
pdxhophead
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBCrew

I would have to disagree, I have made great tasting barley wines with extract, partial mash and all-grain recipes. For a very simple 5 gallon extract version try 12 lbs pale liquid malt extract with 6 oz. galena hops. 90 minute boil with 4 oz at 60 minutes remaining, 1 oz at 15 minutes and 1 oz at 5 minutes. Pitch your favorite American Ale yeast, primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 6-8 weeks.

I don't think its appropriate to comment on something that you yourself have never done - all it does is discourage other people from trying something new or different which may very well work for them. After all, that's what homebrewing is all about - trying things out for yourself and pushing the envelope.

I have to agree, I'm drinking my extract barley wine right now and (not to sound conceited) I'm loving it. I think it's one of the best beers I've ever had. Even before I started brewing I was a bit of a beer snob so this isn't coming form a swill drinker either, I know good beer. Not to mention it's only my second batch of beer and it hasn't even aged yet. To be honest I'm liking it so much that I doubt that I'm going to have any left to age. Sorry I don't mean to be a braggart I just wanted to reiterate that there are a lot of great extract barley wines out there, I'm drinking the proof as I type.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemingway

Check out my brew blog Red Kettle Brewery

Primary:Empty
Secondary:EmptyDrinking: Empty
Planning:

Last edited by pdxhophead; 03-22-2008 at 01:21 AM.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

fair enough. my extract beers are fine... but i wouldn't call any of them great. Some of the AG beers I've done I would call great. I'm all for pushing the envelope with different ideas. So if barleywine is what you want and you only have the equipment for extract, go for it.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Quick Reply