Belgian Tripel Victor's Prize Belgian Triple / IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 3711
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Hot for a while, but after a few months it smoothed out and was sublime
It's a Houblon Chouffe Belgian IPA clone. Maybe not much of a clone, but good. It has the hops to put it in Belgian Specialty, but it drinks somewhere between a triple and golden strong.

2012-02-11-at-191937-59681.jpg

Style: Belgian Specialty Ale

--- GRAINS -----------------------------------------------
24 lbs 2 Row - Malteurop (1.7 SRM) Grain 1 88.9 %

--- MASH ---
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccrification - Add 21.60 qt of water at 161.2 F 144.0 F 20 min
Saccrification - Add 19.20 qt of water at 170.6 F 155.0 F 60 min

--- SPARGE PROCESS ---

--- BOIL PROCESS ---
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.069 SG Est OG: 1.082 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 2 11.1 %
70.87 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 48.5 IBUs
14.17 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 7.5 IBUs
70.87 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 5.9 IBUs
50g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dryhop

--- FERMENTATION ---

I'd recommend fermenting this below 70 for the first week, then bring to room temp.
Give the Wyeast 3711 at least 3 weeks to finish.

--- NOTES ---
I'd use pilsner malt if I made this again. Not sure why I brewed this with 2-row.

full

Last edited:
Any concerns leaving it in primary for a few months at that ABV and low attenuation? I'd prefer to primary only, and dry hop in the keg or just before kegging in primary. Also, how many days was the dry hop?

Any concerns leaving it in primary for a few months at that ABV and low attenuation? I'd prefer to primary only, and dry hop in the keg or just before kegging in primary. Also, how many days was the dry hop?

No. In fact you probably should. It's a fairly high-alcohol beer. You want it to finish dry, and you want it on the yeast for a long time to clean up the some unsavory intermediate products of fermentation that will be created.

When I made this, it tasted "hot" at first, but got a LOT better after a couple of months. I think it took that time for the yeast to finish converting fusels that were created. That's my guess, anyway.

I wouldn't dryhop in the keg. It's not an american IPA. It's not meant to be really hoppy. At least that's not what I was shooting for. I was dryhopping just to take the sweetness out of the aroma and to increase the perceived dryness of the beer.

Dryhopping might be great, too. Go for it and let me know how that turned out.

Coincidentally, I just sent this recipe to my brother in California. He was brewing Sunday. I don't know if he made it or not.

Ok thanks I've added this to my long list, hope to brew it this year maybe late summer so it's ready in time for winter.

How much time did you dry hop for though? It's not clear in the recipe.

Ok thanks I've added this to my long list, hope to brew it this year maybe late summer so it's ready in time for winter.

How much time did you dry hop for though? It's not clear in the recipe.

My notes say 10 days, but that was because the gravity kept dropping after I dryhopped, so I had to wait. I wouldn't leave it in there longer than 4 or 5 days.

Back