Belgian Tripel Tripel Twins: Rochefort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1762 (Rochefort)
Yeast Starter
2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days at 68-75f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
22 days @ 60f
This stuff is just about ready to drink - I've had a couple test bottles already, and, well, all I can say is wow. This yeast is truly something to behold!

Code:
Tripel Twins - Rochefort

A ProMash Brewing Session - Recipe Details Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

18-C  Belgian Strong Ale, Belgian Tripel

Min OG:  1.075   Max OG:  1.085
Min IBU:    25   Max IBU:    38
Min Clr:     5   Max Clr:     6  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal):         5.25    Wort Size (Gal):    5.25
Total Grain (Lbs):       14.63
Anticipated OG:          1.082    Plato:             19.87
Anticipated SRM:           5.8
Anticipated IBU:          37.1
Brewhouse Efficiency:       78 %
Wort Boil Time:             90    Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate:      15.00    Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size:    6.77    Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity:      1.064    SG          15.64  Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used:   Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Tinseth
Tinseth Concentration Factor: 1.30

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 23.9     3.50 lbs. Gleneagle's Maris Otter Pale  Great Britain  1.038      5
 49.6     7.25 lbs. Pilsener Malt(2-Row)          Continental Eu 1.035      1
 10.3     1.50 lbs. Candi Sugar (clear)           Generic        1.046      1
  6.8     1.00 lbs. Flaked Soft White Wheat       America        1.034      2
  6.8     1.00 lbs. Munich Malt(light)            America        1.033     10
  2.6     0.38 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt                      1.033      2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  0.50 oz.    Hallertauer                       Whole    4.00   6.2  90 min.
  1.50 oz.    Goldings - E.K.                   Whole    6.00  26.3  60 min.
  0.25 oz.    Hallertauer                       Whole    4.00   2.2  30 min.
  0.50 oz.    Saazer                            Whole    3.30   2.4  15 min.

Extras

Amount      Name                           Type      Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2.00 Tsp    Irish Moss                     Fining    15 Min.(boil) 
  1.00 Tbsp   pH Stabilizer                  Other     60 Min.(mash) 

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:           
Profile known for: 

Calcium(Ca):           0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg):         0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na):            0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4):          0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl):          0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3):     0.0 ppm

pH: 0.00

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step

Grain Lbs:   13.13
Water Qts:   16.41 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal:    4.10 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25 - Before Additional Infusions

Acid Rest Temp :               0  Time:   0
Protein Rest Temp :            0  Time:   0
Intermediate Rest Temp :     133  Time:  20
Saccharification Rest Temp : 149  Time:  70
Mash-out Rest Temp :         158  Time:  20
Sparge Temp :                170  Time:  10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 5.15 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I am going to bump this recipe thread up with the hopes that someone sees it and can help me out. I would really like to give this a shot, as something I can brew at the end of this month and have it ready to give as a part of a gift pack at Christmas. Hopefully the timing on it would be right.

Can someone give me a step-by-step on the "Mash Type: Multi Step" procedure. I am new to AG, and my experience is to mash in with the given quantity of water at the given temp, drain, and then batch sparge, with quantities and temps as given by Beersmith. Is the procedure for this recipe different?

This will be my first attempt at a big beer.

Thanks!

I am surely not the expert on multi step mashing but I would assume setting up the mash schedule in beersmith just like any other recipe and that would tell you what temp your strike water would need to be for each step.

This sounds good too, I want to brew a high ABV and let it age a while. I will probably need to buy another carboy as my finance has dedicated my only carboy to full time apfelwine production :)

So, is the difference between step mashing and what I have been doing is that, instead of adding all of the mash water at the same time, I add it in parts over time at various temps?

yes, the water in all those steps = your preboil volume

I can't figure out how to get all of this into Beersmith, as there seems to be no "Multistep" option. I can choose to a regular infusion and add steps, but it wants me to list a water quantity with each step, and I don't see that info in the recipe.

I am thinking I may be in over my head here. :confused:

Okay, edited to add the following:

I figured out how to add the steps to Beersmith using the "double infusion" option, but it is giving me numbers that seem a bit confusing to me. The total volume of the steps is something around 8 gallons, which does not match the numbers in the recipe. Also, it tells me to sparge with a volume of zero.

I think that perhaps I need to find a recipe with a simpler procedure before I try to tackle this.

Personally, my feeling on the matter is that if you want to step-mash, the easiest way to do it would be to go my route and mash in your kettle with direct-fired heat. It requires a lot more attention during the mash because the thermal loss is great...but it's much easier than trying to figure out multiple infusions IMHO. My method is 133f for 30 mins, then sacch rest at 149-155f for 60 mins, then 158 for 20 mins or until an iodine test reads negative, then mashout at 167.

You don't absolutely need to do a step mash for this, but I like the results myself.

I brewed this about three weeks ago, and I've been out of town for a while so I'll only just be moving it to its secondary fermenter today. This was my first AG and I've got good feelings about the end result :rockin: I'll let you know in a couple weeks what the verdict is.

what a glorious beer! i've never brewed anything with step. However, I'm putting this in the recipe bank.

Looks pretty sweet I ran across this one researching a Tripel recipe.

With the 1# of Wheat in there, does it still come out fairly clear? I'm not expecting crystal clear since I'm going to bottle condition my tripel but I don't want it to look like a Hefe either.

I just brewed a very slightly modified version of this today. The hydrometer sample tasted wonderful. I forgot to take a look at what kind of efficiency the OP got, and adjust accordingly, but I ended up around 1.071. I gave it a long thin mash, so I expect it to finish pretty dry. There were a few modifications, but it shouldn't be too different.

7.75lb Belgian pale and 3lb Marris Otter instead of 7.5lb and 3.25lb respectively. I also used a little extra Hallertauer at the first addition instead of 1.5oz EKG. The EKG I got were a little stonger than called for, but not enough to completely reduce it to 1oz.

All in all, I think it should be a good one. This is my second tripel this week. The other is loosely based on La Fin du Monde.

Wow, after only a week, it's dropped from 1.060 to about 1.010. It was likely a little carbonated, so maybe a little higher. I added the candi sugar today. It should be 1.073 overall OG. There was such a thick sticky krausen head in the fermenter, this is going to be good I think.

Evan, at what age do you think this beer will reach maturity? Not saying I have a problem with aging beers. just curious. I will be brewing this or something similar soon. thanks for the information!

Evan, What was your experience with fusels and this yeast? I've had and heard differing results with this one. Anyone else have any potent alcohol tastes with the ferm temps in the lower 70's?

Brewed this earlier in the month, and it just hit final gravity in primary. The hydro sample tasted damn amazing, and I'm racking it to secondary with oak cubes soaked in red wine. I'm really excited for this beer.

Back