Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Partial - Tripel IPA

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #11
unforgiven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6
Default


So I'm very excited to brew this. I bought all the supplies and substituted sterlings for simcoe. However I just realized this recipe is for 3 gallons and not 5, which makes sense because I was wondering why its so low on fermentables. Can anyone tell me what extra would be needed to make this a 5 gallon batch? This would only be my 6th batch of homebrew and while my learning curve is steep and I could take a few guesses as far was what to do, I want to be sure. Thanks in advanced to any advice given!

__________________
unforgiven is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,105
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default


unforgiven - just multiply all ingredients by 1.67. Keep the times the same.

__________________
jkarp is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
unforgiven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6
Default


So I went ahead and just brewed the 3g batch and put it in a 5g BB. I added about a pound of honey and topped off with extra cold water to make it about 3.5g and an OG of 1.076. However its about 18 hours after pitching (WLY500 no straight from vial) and there is no fermentation activity. However what is more troublesome is that the wort has separated into 3 layers. There is about 5 inches of green cloudy stuff on the bottom, and amber color in the middle, and lighter color on top. Help! What is happening with my beer!

I would also like to add that this is my 6th batch of beer and i have never seen this type of separation or lag in ferment activity.

__________________
unforgiven is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2010, 03:09 AM   #14
BenS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 833
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


That would most likely be trub on the bottom, regular wort in the middle, and I would guess the yeast reproducing themselves in the top layer.

__________________
BenS is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #15
csamson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Omaha
Posts: 68
Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Default


Any good hints on this recipe? I am on my 5th AG brew and have a good strain of wlp500 going. I want to brew a few more Belgians to keep the yeast going. But can't keep doing the sweet Belgian beers. I want to do something a little different now. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

__________________
csamson is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,105
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by csamson View Post
Any good hints on this recipe? I am on my 5th AG brew and have a good strain of wlp500 going. I want to brew a few more Belgians to keep the yeast going. But can't keep doing the sweet Belgian beers. I want to do something a little different now. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
This is still one of my most brewed recipes. Since I posted this, I've dropped the DME and correspondingly upped the base malts, simply to save $$$ as DME has gotten so expensive. I've also played with a variety of hops; last brew using Chinook for bittering and Cascade for flavor / aroma / dry-hopping. It came out quite well but whatever hops you use, keep the IBUs sane - 60 to 80 - or you'll bury the Belgian character.

Overall, this is a really easy and forgiving brew. If you like the commercial Belgian IPA examples like Le Freak, Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen, or Raging Bitch, I think you'll really dig this.
__________________
jkarp is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #17
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
kingmatt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Souderton
Posts: 700
Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
This is still one of my most brewed recipes. Since I posted this, I've dropped the DME and correspondingly upped the base malts, simply to save $$$ as DME has gotten so expensive. I've also played with a variety of hops; last brew using Chinook for bittering and Cascade for flavor / aroma / dry-hopping. It came out quite well but whatever hops you use, keep the IBUs sane - 60 to 80 - or you'll bury the Belgian character.

Overall, this is a really easy and forgiving brew. If you like the commercial Belgian IPA examples like Le Freak, Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen, or Raging Bitch, I think you'll really dig this.
What did your final base malt amounts end up at? I am looking to brew a 5 gallon batch of this, all-grain at 70% efficiency.

Also, I haven't delved into the world of yeast harvesting so what commercially available yeast would you suggest for this batch?

Thanks!
__________________
Primary 1: Rye IPA
Primary 2: Air
Secondary 1: Blueberry pinot noir
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Rye IPA, Watermelon Wheat, Simple Saison
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: HopHands Clone, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-
kingmatt is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #18
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,105
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post
What did your final base malt amounts end up at? I am looking to brew a 5 gallon batch of this, all-grain at 70% efficiency.

Also, I haven't delved into the world of yeast harvesting so what commercially available yeast would you suggest for this batch?
for a 3.5 gal batch, 70% efficiency...
4lb pils
3.5 lb 2-row
1.5 lb sugar

Definitely want Chimay - WLP500 / Wyeast 1214
__________________

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

jkarp is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
xxHelderxx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 102
Default


Jkarp- what kind of bitterness are you getting from this hop combo? I know these are both "softer" kind of hops, as opposed to a C hop like Cascade or Columbus. If it's anything like La Chouffe then I imagine it's pretty amazing.

__________________
xxHelderxx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jkarp's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,105
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default


The original recipe is just a bit milder than Houblon Chouffe. Dry-hop with Cascade and I'd say it's pretty darn close.

__________________

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

jkarp is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What makes a "tripel" a tripel? andre the giant General Beer Discussion 17 11-05-2013 12:58 AM
Un Tripel Ó Flannagáin Belgian and French Ale 6 02-25-2012 08:09 PM
tripel? impulserush Extract Brewing 4 11-08-2008 12:44 AM
My Second Tripel Poobah58 Recipes/Ingredients 0 02-16-2008 08:38 PM
Want to try a Tripel MuddyWaters Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 03-02-2006 12:46 PM