Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Partial - Tripel IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #11
unforgiven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

So I'm very excited to brew this. I bought all the supplies and substituted sterlings for simcoe. However I just realized this recipe is for 3 gallons and not 5, which makes sense because I was wondering why its so low on fermentables. Can anyone tell me what extra would be needed to make this a 5 gallon batch? This would only be my 6th batch of homebrew and while my learning curve is steep and I could take a few guesses as far was what to do, I want to be sure. Thanks in advanced to any advice given!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

unforgiven - just multiply all ingredients by 1.67. Keep the times the same.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
unforgiven
Recipes 

So I went ahead and just brewed the 3g batch and put it in a 5g BB. I added about a pound of honey and topped off with extra cold water to make it about 3.5g and an OG of 1.076. However its about 18 hours after pitching (WLY500 no straight from vial) and there is no fermentation activity. However what is more troublesome is that the wort has separated into 3 layers. There is about 5 inches of green cloudy stuff on the bottom, and amber color in the middle, and lighter color on top. Help! What is happening with my beer!

I would also like to add that this is my 6th batch of beer and i have never seen this type of separation or lag in ferment activity.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:09 AM   #14
BenS
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That would most likely be trub on the bottom, regular wort in the middle, and I would guess the yeast reproducing themselves in the top layer.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #15
csamson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Any good hints on this recipe? I am on my 5th AG brew and have a good strain of wlp500 going. I want to brew a few more Belgians to keep the yeast going. But can't keep doing the sweet Belgian beers. I want to do something a little different now. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamson View Post
Any good hints on this recipe? I am on my 5th AG brew and have a good strain of wlp500 going. I want to brew a few more Belgians to keep the yeast going. But can't keep doing the sweet Belgian beers. I want to do something a little different now. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
This is still one of my most brewed recipes. Since I posted this, I've dropped the DME and correspondingly upped the base malts, simply to save $$$ as DME has gotten so expensive. I've also played with a variety of hops; last brew using Chinook for bittering and Cascade for flavor / aroma / dry-hopping. It came out quite well but whatever hops you use, keep the IBUs sane - 60 to 80 - or you'll bury the Belgian character.

Overall, this is a really easy and forgiving brew. If you like the commercial Belgian IPA examples like Le Freak, Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen, or Raging Bitch, I think you'll really dig this.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #17
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
This is still one of my most brewed recipes. Since I posted this, I've dropped the DME and correspondingly upped the base malts, simply to save $$$ as DME has gotten so expensive. I've also played with a variety of hops; last brew using Chinook for bittering and Cascade for flavor / aroma / dry-hopping. It came out quite well but whatever hops you use, keep the IBUs sane - 60 to 80 - or you'll bury the Belgian character.

Overall, this is a really easy and forgiving brew. If you like the commercial Belgian IPA examples like Le Freak, Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen, or Raging Bitch, I think you'll really dig this.
What did your final base malt amounts end up at? I am looking to brew a 5 gallon batch of this, all-grain at 70% efficiency.

Also, I haven't delved into the world of yeast harvesting so what commercially available yeast would you suggest for this batch?

Thanks!
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Rye IPA, Watermelon Wheat, Simple Saison
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: HopHands Clone, Passion Fruit IPA, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 05-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #18
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post
What did your final base malt amounts end up at? I am looking to brew a 5 gallon batch of this, all-grain at 70% efficiency.

Also, I haven't delved into the world of yeast harvesting so what commercially available yeast would you suggest for this batch?
for a 3.5 gal batch, 70% efficiency...
4lb pils
3.5 lb 2-row
1.5 lb sugar

Definitely want Chimay - WLP500 / Wyeast 1214

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
xxHelderxx
Recipes 

Jkarp- what kind of bitterness are you getting from this hop combo? I know these are both "softer" kind of hops, as opposed to a C hop like Cascade or Columbus. If it's anything like La Chouffe then I imagine it's pretty amazing.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The original recipe is just a bit milder than Houblon Chouffe. Dry-hop with Cascade and I'd say it's pretty darn close.

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Quick Reply