Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Rochefort 8 clone (as close as you can get)!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 03:06 AM   #51
DannPM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm635
How long did everyone's attempt at this beer take to carbonate? I bottled about 3 months ago and popped a bottle tonight for the first time. The aroma and flavor are quite nice but it is very flat.

Am I jumping the gun here or is this batch ruined. Count me nervous....
Mine was two weeks. What temp are you storing them at to carb?

Time to have some fun

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 04:32 PM   #52
jmm635
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannPM View Post
Mine was two weeks. What temp are you storing them at to carb?
About 70-75 degrees in my basement. Same as all my other beers.

I had a blow-off the first day in the primary. Did I possibly lose too much yeast? My FG was still pretty close.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #53
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Mine started showing signs of reasonable carbonation at 3 weeks which was a surprise given the strength of this beer. It was probably 6 weeks before mine showed full carbonation.

If it was just one bottle, then I'd say you need another one or two more data points from other bottles in the batch. Even if they are not well carbed I wouldn't say it's ruined. There are ways to recover.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #54
MagicLarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hex23 your right on. 5-6 weeks is pretty much when this beer starts to show proper carbonation.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #55
berck
Recipes 

Default My attempt.. Banana Rocket Fuel!

So, mine's been sitting in bottles for 6 months, now, and I'm still not at all pleased. At this point it's carbonated enough to drink, but not enough to form a real head. It took about 3 months to get to that point.

This was actually my first all-grain beer, which was probably a bit of a reach for me. At the time I brewed it, there was no D2 syrup available anywhere, so I used the soft brown candi sugar. Looks like the D2 is available again, now.

Mine wound up around 1.090 (I think I used slightly more sugar and slightly more grain on purpose as I was actually hoping for something closer to a Rochefort 10).

I fermented it in my apartment which I don't really heat during the winter, ambient temps around 60. The fermentation was the most explosive I've ever seen. I had a blow-off tube fitted, but even that kept getting clogged with yeast. The lid blew off the bucket once. Fermentation temps got until the 73 degree range, despite the cold apartment. Almost right off the bat, the banana odors were so strong, my wife asked if I were baking banana nut bread!

I'd read about this yeast giving off banana notes. These were not notes, but entire banana symphonies.

About a month after bottling it, it tasted like banana-flavored rocket fuel, and was still flat.

Now, 6 months later, it takes like mellow banana-flavored rocket fuel. It's still too harsh, and out of about 25 batches of beer I've brewed, it's the only one I won't serve to guests.

Rochefort is my favorite beer in the world, and since others have had luck with this, I'm going to keep trying.

Since I've been brewing all summer in my un-air conditioned apartment, I've had good luck cooling fermentation temps by keeping the fermenter in a large cooler filled with water, and I add ice as necessary to keep the fermenter temp where I want it. Next time I brew the Rochefort, I plan to do the following:

1) Maintain the temperature at or below 65F.
2) Add more yeast when bottling. I know some of you guys have had luck without doing so, but I haven't.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #56
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Sorry to hear of your disappointment. This recipe can really make a great beer. It's good to hear you want to try again.

Couple of thoughts/questions:

I would definitely expect a higher OG like 1.090 to take longer to carb. Not sure about 6 months though.

The amount of banana ester makes me wonder about your starter. Is it possible you underpitched? How big of a starter did you make? I would say given that gravity I would expect it to be around 3L (assuming one activator pack). The temp played a role for sure, but I accidentally let mine get to 78F during the first 48 hours and I have very minimal banana flavor.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #57
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I brewed this recipe this past weekend. Used Carafa I instead, but reduced the amount. Made a 2L starter earlier in the week and this thing took off in like 4 hours max.

Bought a corker and Belgian bottles. Gonna try to carb high.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #58
MagicLarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Make some labels if you have time, would be a nice touch for the holiday season!

Old 08-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #59
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicLarry View Post
Make some labels if you have time, would be a nice touch for the holiday season!
That's the plan! Trying to learn a label program right now. After primary, I'm going to bottle condition this until the holidays and give them as gifts.

Did a test run with a Black IPA:

Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 AM   #60
MagicLarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Gimp is great, and free. Give it a try, you can produce some really nice labels with it.

Quick Reply