Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Rochefort 8 clone (as close as you can get)!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 02:26 AM   #11
MagicLarry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagherman View Post
I've never used corn. What does it add to the beer?
It's actually pretty neutral (depending on amount). I really only use it in cream ales and some times pilsners. I'm assuming Holtrop used it in his recipe to reduce a little bit of the maltiness, and up the ABV without having to sacrifice color (darker) by adding more grain. The first time I saw the recipe I wondered why flaked corn (doesn't seem to fit in a dark Belgian Ale), but I just went with it. I really don't know if it would make a difference with or without. If left out, you might lose a bit of sweetness, but I've never brewed the recipe without it and always had a great result.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
MagicLarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronnyjenkins View Post
I made an extract version batch, converted from this recipe.
Transferred to secondary Sunday, so I'll keep ya updated as well.

Made my own roasty tasting Belgian Candy.
However, I decreased the Carafa. Mine is a nice clear, but decently dark color.

I haven't even tasted Rochefort 8, but figured if it was an award winning recipe how could you go wrong??
So how did it turn out?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 PM   #13
MagicLarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I'm happy to say that this beer won 1st place at a local comp this weekend in its respective category. It was bottled May 14th, so a little over 5 months conditioning. Going to put most away until next fall/winter and taste then. For those of you who like a dark Belgian strong ale please give this one a try. Thank you Mr. Holtrop!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
tronnyjenkins
Recipes 

Mine turned out pretty well. I named it "Green Cap".
Since I have now gone all grain, I would like to try it again in the future, as it didn't taste very much like Rochefort.

I'd say it is my favorite out of all 5 extracts I attempted though.

Tronny

Old 11-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

How long for this brew does it need to age before it starts to actually taste like a Rochefort? Trying to figure out my patience.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #16
MagicLarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's decent after 2 months in the bottle, but if you can wait for it to hit the 5 month mark it starts to get really good. This recipe is a prime example of how bottle conditioning will affect the beers flavor in a positive way.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #17
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Apparently I can not be patient enough. I forgot the fermentation schedule, saw that the brew was at the SG reading I was expecting as a FG (1.014, bit drier), and thought it was 2 weeks (not 3) in the primary. So I racked at what I thought was 2 weeks, but actually it was 1 week! I guess I will just let the brew sit in the secondary for 4 weeks then, to make up for it.

Already tasting good though, despite a bit of a banana flavor that I was hoping to avoid. I guess even temperature control doesn't stop the yeast always from doing that. That paired with that I had to go with WLP500 as my LHBS doesn't carry the recipe's yeast nor WLP540.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:58 AM   #18
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I happen to have tried my first bottle of this recipe. It's only three weeks post bottling, but I just couldn't stay patient! I have to say that even this early it's almost spot-on. I did deviate a little from the recipe. I used 1 lb of D2 Dark Candy Syrup and 0.5 lbs of Dark Belgian Rock Candy. I've read about others using the Holtropp recipe doing similar. I just did a 5 week primary and did not add yeast at bottling time (I tried harvesting some from a Rochefort 10 bottle and failed). I also got a slight touch of banana flavor, but that is likely due to poor temperature control in the first 18 hours. I made a very large starter and fermentation took off in under 2 hours and made lots of blowoff. The temp reached 77 externally, then I placed in a swamp cooler to get external temp down to 68. I'll try to do a better job of temp control next time.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. I love Rochefort and this is an excellent recipe.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #19
MagicLarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex23 View Post
I happen to have tried my first bottle of this recipe. It's only three weeks post bottling, but I just couldn't stay patient! I have to say that even this early it's almost spot-on. I did deviate a little from the recipe. I used 1 lb of D2 Dark Candy Syrup and 0.5 lbs of Dark Belgian Rock Candy. I've read about others using the Holtropp recipe doing similar. I just did a 5 week primary and did not add yeast at bottling time (I tried harvesting some from a Rochefort 10 bottle and failed). I also got a slight touch of banana flavor, but that is likely due to poor temperature control in the first 18 hours. I made a very large starter and fermentation took off in under 2 hours and made lots of blowoff. The temp reached 77 externally, then I placed in a swamp cooler to get external temp down to 68. I'll try to do a better job of temp control next time.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. I love Rochefort and this is an excellent recipe.
Glad you like it! 5 weeks in the primary is never a bad thing. As far as the yeast harvesting goes, I've never really had any luck with it either. Wyeast #1762 is a fine yeast for the recipe and no harvesting needed!

Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
JeffB
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Im trying to harvest some #8 today, Ill report back.

Quick Reply