Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Rochefort 8 clone (as close as you can get)!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #91
MagicLarry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Love my kegs... But always bottle this. Try it and let us know.

Last edited by MagicLarry; 01-25-2013 at 05:13 AM. Reason: forgot the word "this"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #92
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
Anyone keg this ever? Or even better, anyone keg and bottle and notice how different they are? I would rather keg this but if it's going to taste a whole lot better then maybe I'll bottle instead. I don't mind letting it bulk age on yeast or whatever for a longer time then the month+ it calls for.
i did over a year ago and still have a case left! used the beergun and got my keg really cold.. soaked my bottles in a starsan icebath and filled right away.. although you cant beat bottle conditioned and the original is still maltier its still one of my best batches.. oh, i bumped mine up to a 10 point too!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #93
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

When I get around to the batch, it will be kegged too. I gave up bottling, and my bottles a long time ago.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #94
m00se
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm trying to figure out how my OG came in at 1060. All of my other brews have come in with a slightly higher OG. I usually crush my own grains at LHBS, but for this recipe I ordered the grain crushed online. I also usually fly sparge, but not with this brew.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #95
Matteo57
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

I threw in the whole 2lbs of the syrup and my OG turned out to be 1.085 and FG 1.011!! So almost 10%!! I didn't want it that high! I brewed this back in January and while it's getting better and better and actually pretty decent right now it's still quite a bit boozy and feel it will be better with a bit more age to mellow that out. I wish I could have nailed the numbers as I think it would definitely taste a lot better and more to what I wanted in the first place!
Oh well!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #96
ayupbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Fermentation schedule anyone? Sorry ignore this request.....!

Although those temp ranges look very narrow....some Belgians are supposed to go as high as they can go after an initial ~70 period, is that true for this one...?

Last edited by ayupbrewing; 05-06-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Because i'm blind!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #97
odnanref
Recipes 

dear friends, sorry for the question but I'm new here on the blog. I am beginner in the art of homebrew, and I am very big fan of the Belgians, especially the strong dark ale. I once did a tripel, was very good, however the yeast not attenuated as expected. this month I made a dark strong ale, and yeast not attenuated again. i was reviewed all my process and not think it was a failure. I've been reading on the internet, and read reports of people recommend adding the candy only after 24-48 hours of fermentation, is this true? because these two beers, I added in the boil.

please someone help me, I want my beer attenuates correctly.

I usually do not get every day on the blog, if anyone has a solution, please send me an email

fcesarfioravante@hotmail.com

Thank you.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 AM   #98
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

There are quite a few things that can cause under-attenuation.

Yeast issues:
- Both pitching too much and too little
- Pitching unhealthy yeast
- Yeast stress during fermentation due to low temperature or high OG
- Lack of oxygenation

-Higher temperature mash

Can you tell us what you consider lower than expected attenuation? What's your OG and FG.

You can assess the fermentability of your wort by determining the limit of attenuation, by using a forced ferment test.

I can see how adding sugars after the main fermentation has started could help overall attenuation. It would reduce the stress on the yeast by reducing the initial OG. However, I did not have any attenuation problems with the recipe in this thread.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #99
odnanref
Recipes 

Well, OG 1.085, FG (apparent) 1.050, FG (real) 1.028. Here in Brazil is hard to find liquid yeast, so I used the T-58 Fermentis. I used 2 packs, I've been reading and I believe not to have made an initial multiply this yeast, and taking into account the added candy before the primary fermentation, the yeast is not reproduced properly. I read in a site that even need starter ferments dry with a little wine 24h before inoculation if the OG is too high.

I'll try to make this starter with dry yeast and see how it goes, and anything I write my results here. Thank you.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #100
theshoe82
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Bottled this tonite after brewing it with a friend in February. It was my second all grain brew and got down to 1.011! It's a little hotter and higher ABV than I was shooting for but I guess that's from using a brew belt and double pitching the yeast.

I am going to let it sit for another month and sample every 30 days. It's a very good beer at this point, and I hope it gets even better.

Quick Reply