Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Rochefort 10 clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
eschatz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

wow, that would be WAY cheaper!!!! thanks

What's tappening? :D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
eddie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yep, it's pretty simple. Just make sure you use something heat tolerant to stir it with. The temp in the sugar gets pretty high and you have to stir it constantly while it's on the heat so it doesn't burn. I use a silicone spatula.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
brewpig
Recipes 

I did a Rochefort 8 clone that is in my secondary right now. I think the next time I do it I might culture some yeast from a bottle of Rochefort. I just drank a bottle of Rochefort 8 on Friday. One thing I noticed is that the flavor is extremely simple. I doubt there is very much in the way of specialty grains in there. I tasted my clone and it has about the same mouthfeel but the chocolate malt in mine was out of place. Next time I brew it I will try it whole grain and leave out the chocolate malt. The other thing about the real Rochefort 8 is there is very very very little bitterness. I was careful not to overhop and I think I hit the IBU's right on the head.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
axp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm very new to this... when do you use the invert sugar? Is it during the boiling or in the mash process?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 PM   #15
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Add it to the boil. I put mine in at the thirty minute mark. Just make sure to stir it until it's dissolved completely.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #16
eddie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I haven't brewed this one in a while but I might get on it again soon. Anybody else try it and have something they'd like to add or comment on?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am going to be brewing this up on Sunday, using clear Belgian candi syrup as I do not want to worry about making my own (just enough time to make the beer itself, too). Am I too assume you used 2 vials of the yeast and a starter to make this batch? I see your ingredients list says 1, but that seems awfully small.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #18
haplo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How did your brewing go Yotie? Anything to add or any suggestions? I think I might brew this recipe Saturday.

-Paul

Old 10-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #19
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, this recipe seemed to have morphed away from the original recipe. The LHBS had no WLP575, so I went with 500 (Chimay strain). In addition, I forgot to gran the candi syrup, so I instead used honey that was meant for my mead. With all that considered, it turned out pretty damned good. Though, it has that Chimay aroma and sharpness, and a hint of sage honey (flavor, not sweetness), so it turned out very drinkable.

I plan to remake this one next with the correct ingredients. it was an interesting brew day I must say!

Old 01-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #20
BenedictusDeus
Recipes 

I'm a noobie to homebrewing. This will be only my 3rd batch and I'm starting by doing just 1 gallon batches. I was wondering how long you bottle conditioned and at what temp? Also, has anybody bulk stored this recipe at cold temps for a while? Like a lagering. I've read on other Rochefort 10 clone threads about doing this. Thanks.

Quick Reply