Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #841
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 63 Posts

I just picked up the stuff to (finally) make the old world. I obtained all of the materials from my LHBS so I had to make 2 compromises and want to hear your opinion.

First and foremost; the Yeast.... I know different yeast is going to make this a different beer but it truly was a compromise. The best I could do was WLP575 which is a Belgian ale mix. According to white labs it contains 2 Trappist strains and one Belgian ale strain. Any one have any experience with this yeast?

Second; the candi sugar (sorry CSI). I ended up getting what they had - I thought it was going to be the rock type dark crystals but they were out of even that and what I ended up with is Belgian soft candy from brewers best. It looks like brown sugar like you buy at the store and it's a lot lighter than it should be at 36 SRM. Is there anything I can do with this sugar to get closer to the character of this recipe? I know people are making there own inverts and wort based dark sugar; can I/ should I try and darken this up on the stove with some acid?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #842
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
I just picked up the stuff to (finally) make the old world. I obtained all of the materials from my LHBS so I had to make 2 compromises and want to hear your opinion.

First and foremost; the Yeast.... I know different yeast is going to make this a different beer but it truly was a compromise. The best I could do was WLP575 which is a Belgian ale mix. According to white labs it contains 2 Trappist strains and one Belgian ale strain. Any one have any experience with this yeast?

Second; the candi sugar (sorry CSI). I ended up getting what they had - I thought it was going to be the rock type dark crystals but they were out of even that and what I ended up with is Belgian soft candy from brewers best. It looks like brown sugar like you buy at the store and it's a lot lighter than it should be at 36 SRM. Is there anything I can do with this sugar to get closer to the character of this recipe? I know people are making there own inverts and wort based dark sugar; can I/ should I try and darken this up on the stove with some acid?
No problem, Brewers Best (branded by LD Carlson) uses our soft sugars repackaged from bulk. You're using another great CSI product!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #843
Brewskii
Recipes 

SWEET! -thx. Guess I got to get my LHBS to carry your D180 now.

Any ideas on the soft sugar or should I leave it be?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #844
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
SWEET! -thx. Guess I got to get my LHBS to carry your D180 now.

Any ideas on the soft sugar or should I leave it be?
The soft sugar gravity is higher, (1.042), but the color contribution is much lower. The Brun Foncé (CSI dark brown cassonade) finishes with a charred brown sugar. It does work well with an Achel Bruin Extra but using it with a Westvleteren 12 clone may not provide the SRM needed. (I haven't tried it with a Westy 12).

Old 11-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #845
Brewskii
Recipes 

I suppose I'll leave it be... I'm not interested in color so much as making a drinkable Belgian strong.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #846
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I suppose I'll leave it be... I'm not interested in color so much as making a drinkable Belgian strong.
Save it for an Achel Bruin Extra. It's extremely good in that recipe

Old 11-30-2012, 11:25 PM   #847
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Westy 12 from 6/11/2011

We're back around to sampling reserve stock. This Westy 12 pic is a pre-decoction era brew we did 17 months ago. It's a Traditional with just Pils/Pale.

Words just don't do justice to this ale. The nose is an in-your-face plummy brown sugar with a hint of yeast. Since the FG was on the nose (1.012) and the mouth-feel was medium-heavy it has only a faint sweetness and coats your mouth with the same flavors as the aroma. I don't get malt until the end when the plum lingers off and the spice from Brewers gold barely makes it through and finishes with a pale malt bread-like sweetness. No Belgian funk, (unfortunately), just a subtle yeast. No alcohol at all....none. In fact it was 10 minutes after I shared this with one of the partners that I could even sense any warming at all. This ale at this age is just amazing. The head is a high pillowy medium brown with lots of retention and lace to the end when it becomes a smooth coffee brown cream on finish.

Brewing this ale is well worth it (every time).

Cheers,

westy-12.jpg  
Old 12-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #848
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Sounds great! I'll be as far South as Salisbury tomorrow. If I can get a taste I'll keep driving down I-85.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #849
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 25

CSI - which version is the Westy 12 pictured?

Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #850
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
CSI - which version is the Westy 12 pictured?
This one was 006 from June 11, 2011. I've got the recipe in archive. As good as this is I think 017a is still probably going to age-out better.

Quick Reply