Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #811
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 290

You really can't too crop in a carboy. Just one more +1 for buckets. I guess you could try to spill some out, or maybe dip a 1" diameter plastic tube in that's open on both sides and cup one end off like a wine thief.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #812
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

FYI the Rochefort yeast is very different than the Westmalle yeast. The Rochefort yeast is almost neutral flavor-wise in comparison, which is why a true Rochefort recipe has some spices and a more complex grainbill as it does not have a very expressive yeast like the Westmalle.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #813
Nyrkki
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

It's not too difficult to collect yeast from a carboy. You just need a good fermentation and the right sort of spoon. With a beer this big you will probably have to install a blowoff tube. The yeast will come up to the "neck" of the carboy, and spooning it shouldn't be impossible.

More over in "Brew Like a Monk" it is stated that westmalle doesn't reuse the yeast from the trippel. They reuse from blond a few times, a few times from the dubbel and uses the yeast collected from the dubbel to ferment the trippel. On the otherhand real breweries generate so much excess yeast that they can easily afford to do this.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #814
dannypo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq
FYI the Rochefort yeast is very different than the Westmalle yeast. The Rochefort yeast is almost neutral flavor-wise in comparison, which is why a true Rochefort recipe has some spices and a more complex grainbill as it does not have a very expressive yeast like the Westmalle.
While its true that Rochefort uses a touch of corriander even the monk in charge of brewing admits its so little he doubts anybody would notice if they left it out. And the grain bill is simple. Two malts. Two sugars. That's it.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #815
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii

According to Stan Hironymous (sp.?) in BLAM;
you cannot brew a true Belgian style beer without sugar because part of the charicteristics of those styles ( strong ales) is the relatively low body for the high alcohol. This cannot be achieved with malt alone, regardless of mash temps.

Not to say you can't brew some really good beers w/o it, just not true Belgian style strong's.
Thanks for your note. I do use sugar. I haven't used candi sugar or syrup... But, I bought some D90 and D180 to try!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #816
Driver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista
I ferment in a 6.5 gallon carboy, unless there's something special, I do not know how to capture yeast krausen.
I think Mike McDole talked about using a blowoff to harvest yeast at high krausen. I don't have a link at the moment but basically imagine pushing a blowoff further in the carboy til it comes in contact with the krausen. Allegedly with a good seal the yeast gets pumped up the blowoff by fermentation pressure to be collected at the other end.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #817
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
I think Mike McDole talked about using a blowoff to harvest yeast at high krausen. I don't have a link at the moment but basically imagine pushing a blowoff further in the carboy til it comes in contact with the krausen. Allegedly with a good seal the yeast gets pumped up the blowoff by fermentation pressure to be collected at the other end.
Indeed, that does work.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #818
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Then a sealed and sanitized blow-off container is needed? I usually dump the tube into a gallon jub with a little water.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #819
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
Then a sealed and sanitized blow-off container is needed? I usually dump the tube into a gallon jub with a little water.
Personally I'd route it to a sanitized or sterilized erlenmeyer flask (or a gallon jug) with a two holed stopper in it. The second hole would have an airlock.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #820
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Sounds like a plan. I've never collected the blowoff before.

Quick Reply