Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #751
BuffaloBeer1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
BuffaloBeer1 - how did you mash, single infusion or decoction? If single infusion, what temperature?
I did the New World Recipe. Mashed at 150 for 90 min. using single infusion and batch sparging. I had 5.5 gallons at 1.094 with a FG of 1.014. Approx. 10.7 % abv. I pitched it onto a yeast cake of WYeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) that I used for a Dubbel. I also made sure to use the yeast nutrient. For what it's worth, I did use CSI's products, they work great.

As CSI said, and many other more experienced brewers would agree, you could get some more flavors from the "proper" method. That being said, I have never had the real thing. I have had several other true belgian quads, and this came out in the same ballpark.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #752
CSI
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
CSI - what temperature do you recommend for a single infusion mash? Also, would you go with the traditional or new world with single infusion?

Any other advice for the mash?
Ultra, that's a great question that we've been discussing back and forth here at CSI for a while. Mike likes to mash lower (150F) and I like to mash higher to increase the polysaccs for body/mouthfeel (155F). Since you can't really detect polysaccs on the palate you may end up with a higher FG but without the sweetness. Both methods turn out great. I like the heavier body to hide the high ABV.

Since I'm tasked with trial brewing, the higher mash temp is what shows up on our recipe page. Also, ask saq what his opinion is on this. He always has an interesting angle.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #753
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 26

CSI - is the AJ responding? If yes, we've been bouncing emails back-and-forth on the same question. Which recipe on the recipe shows the higher single infusion mash temperature? The Westvleteren 12 Clone – Variation 017a version is decoction.

Do you advocate boiling down a gallon or so of the volume as saq mentioned in a few posts?

I brewed an outmeal stout this weekend and did just that - boiled down the "leftover" runnings after mashing in a bag. I mash and drain, batch sparge and drain, then place the bag in a 5 gallon bucket with an inverted colander (no legs - just round) to let the bag drain. I compress it a bit and after 15 minutes or so, get another 3 quarts of high quality run off.

This weekend, the leftovers were 1.045. After boiling off two quarts, the remaining quart or so was 1.086. I dumped that into the kettle near the end of the boil. I don't know what effect it will have, if any, but it smelled great, and was very condensed.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #754
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
CSI - is the AJ responding? If yes, we've been bouncing emails back-and-forth on the same question. Which recipe on the recipe shows the higher single infusion mash temperature? The Westvleteren 12 Clone – Variation 017a version is decoction.

Do you advocate boiling down a gallon or so of the volume as saq mentioned in a few posts?

I brewed an outmeal stout this weekend and did just that - boiled down the "leftover" runnings after mashing in a bag. I mash and drain, batch sparge and drain, then place the bag in a 5 gallon bucket with an inverted colander (no legs - just round) to let the bag drain. I compress it a bit and after 15 minutes or so, get another 3 quarts of high quality run off.

This weekend, the leftovers were 1.045. After boiling off two quarts, the remaining quart or so was 1.086. I dumped that into the kettle near the end of the boil. I don't know what effect it will have, if any, but it smelled great, and was very condensed.
Is this AJ responding? Yep. that's me.

Do you advocate boiling down a gallon or so of the volume as saq mentioned in a few posts? I think it's a great idea not only for conservation and BHE but for flavor development. You can develop some amazing malty caramels this way. We develop those flavors with a less efficient method using a 'flash in the pan' sort of deglazing decoction but both will have superior results.

We also love Oatmeal stouts and have one on our recipe page that is all but perfected (and very simple to brew). One of our distributors picked it up and will be composing a kit based on it soon (DME with steeping grains). After 6 months in the bottle the flavors have a great blend of mild-dark chocolate and malt. Really amazing stuff. It doesn't last long around here

Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #755
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Do you have a Westy receipe available for single infusion?

Also the 17a version states 60 minute boil but the hop schedule is 63 minutes, 21, and 7. 63 minutes?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #756
pixelhussar
Recipes 

Hello everyone,

Great thread, I think I'll brew this one soon.
Have you already tried to use home made candi syrup? Like this one here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/
Will it taste significantly different?

There is no candi syrup at my LHBS and the delivery costs were just huge.

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #757
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Do you have a Westy receipe available for single infusion?

Also the 17a version states 60 minute boil but the hop schedule is 63 minutes, 21, and 7. 63 minutes?

Yep, good observation. 60 min boil, and about 3 minutes to prep for plate chilling. Lupulins will still be releasing so it works out about right for our equipment.

We follow BLAM as a foundation for most recipes but a single infusion will also work. Just remove the pep/pro rest and decoction step and infuse for 90 minutes. You can vary the temp based on your preference for mouth-feel.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #758
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhussar View Post
Hello everyone,

Great thread, I think I'll brew this one soon.
Have you already tried to use home made candi syrup? Like this one here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-l...trient-114837/
Will it taste significantly different?

There is no candi syrup at my LHBS and the delivery costs were just huge.

Thanks!
I see you are in Hungary. You may be able to order it from www.[*****].ru in the Russian Federation with better shipping charges. Contact Artem, the owner. Also, if you have a central Hungarian distributor for brewing supplies, feel free to have them contact us through our site to discuss Hungarian distribution.

I can't comment on kitchen syrups since it might sound unobjective The HBT members here can comment more objectively.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #759
pixelhussar
Recipes 

Thanks!

I'm happy to forward your message to the supplier.

I forgot to ask something: do I need to slightly heat the fermentation vessel at the beginning (maybe an aquarium heater would make it)? Or it's OK to store it on room temp and cover with a blanket?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #760
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelhussar
Thanks!

I'm happy to forward your message to the supplier.

I forgot to ask something: do I need to slightly heat the fermentation vessel at the beginning (maybe an aquarium heater would make it)? Or it's OK to store it on room temp and cover with a blanket?

Thanks!
You won't have to heat a fermenter - the wort will go in warm and then you pitch.

Quick Reply