Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #741
Nyrkki
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I would so much like to try this one out, but I think that the laagering stage is impossible for me because I have no spare fridge or anything that would fullfil the same role. My question is what kind of beer would i get without the cold-conditioning phase? Will it be a totally different beer that is way too estery and not so clear,or would i be just fine? I think that i could easily reach the primary temperature, so that would not be a problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #742
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts

You're in Finland, as we enter winter, and you're worried about lagering temps???

Old 10-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #743
Nyrkki
Recipes 

The temperatures outside won't be stable, they are ambient. For example this morning it was around 37 F outside, whereas now it is over 57 F. Pretty soon, I'd say in two weeks, the night temperature will be under 0 C, which means that the beer can actually freeze.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #744
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 25

From what I understand, this is not a real lagering process, it's merely aging the beer at 50 degrees (F) or so. Someone chime-in if I'm wrong.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #745
griffondg
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

Nyrkki, I'm in the same boat as you. Honestly I think it'll be just fine without the "lagering" stage. Maybe not come out exactly like a Westy 12 but still an excellent beer.

Jamil's BDSA from Brewing Classic Styles that has won numerous awards doesn't include the lagering step. His beer that won the National Homebrew Competition was something like 4 years old so I'm just going to bulk age it for a couple of months and then bottle it and let it sit for another few before I even try it.

Eric

Old 10-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #746
Nyrkki
Recipes 

I was also thinking about ageing it for a longer time to compensate the lack of cold conditioning. Actually I'm not even sure what the cold conditioning will bring to this beer, other than clarity.

I have some westy bottles in my closet that will stay there at least to 2014. I bought them a few years back.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #747
BuffaloBeer1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've mentioned this before, but after a great primary fermentation temp, I was only able to get it down to 68-70 for the secondary. I left it in there for 5 weeks. I'm not sure how this compares to one that was kept at 50 for that time period. What I do know is that this is one delicious beer. There is probably some benefits to following the recommended fermentation schedule, but not enough to stop you from brewing. Don't worry about it. Just go for it and enjoy.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #748
ultravista
Recipes 

BuffaloBeer1 - how did you mash, single infusion or decoction? If single infusion, what temperature?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #749
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrkki View Post
I would so much like to try this one out, but I think that the laagering stage is impossible for me because I have no spare fridge or anything that would fullfil the same role. My question is what kind of beer would i get without the cold-conditioning phase? Will it be a totally different beer that is way too estery and not so clear,or would i be just fine? I think that i could easily reach the primary temperature, so that would not be a problem.
We have found that 50-55F does develop slight fruit esters in addition to the benefit of precipitation. Westmalle 530/3787 is active at 50F but a little less animated .

If you have a basement or a cellar or even a corner room with an outside wall facing north you might be able to get the temp down to 60F or below. It may not be ideal for precipitation but it will help in flavor development. 1-2 years in the bottle will also help in clarification.

BTW, we just sent a good sized pallet of our syrups/soft sugars through Finland to the Russian Federation.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #750
ultravista
Recipes 

CSI - what temperature do you recommend for a single infusion mash? Also, would you go with the traditional or new world with single infusion?

Any other advice for the mash?

Quick Reply