Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #731
griffondg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewing my own recipe today that's heavily inspired by this awesome thread!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #732
griffondg
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Used too much sparge water and didn't boil off enough so ended up with closer to 6 gallons than 5 and OG is 1.084. Still to style but not the same as Westy 12. I'm also following Jamil's fermentation schedule and kept it at 68F for the first three days and am only allowing to to get to 72F for the rest of primary. Smells incredible right now!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #733
NBABUCKS1
Recipes 

Question regarding adding the Candi Sugar/Syrup:

I decided to not add it in the boil as to make the yeast eat all the hard sugars before getting their desert. I am going to add them at about day 4, but I want to know which way would be the best

1. Just dump the sugar in. Hopefully it does not make it to the bottom and sit there and not ferment? Will the sugar distribute all the way through out or will it sink like a rock and plop itslef on the bottom?

2. Siphon off pint of beer into a sanitized sauce pan . Mix all together and add back to fermenter (I'm assuming this would greatly increase my chances of infection!)

3. Mix sugars into some DME + water (pale..two row DME..say 1.030) bring to a boil, cool, then add to fermenter?

Thoughts?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #734
orangehero
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 99

There's really no need to not add the syrup during the boil, especially with Westmalle yeast...that's how the monks do it and it's just not a problem with this recipe with 10-15% syrup rate. In fact it's rarely something to be worried about...maybe if you're doing an extreme beer and have >30% glucose adjuncts and you're seeing poor fermentation despite sufficient nutrients and oxygenation.

I'd recommend heating the syrup up in the microwave and slowly adding it to the fermentor during active fermentation. You could remove some beer and mix the syrup in that if you like...it's not going to greatly increase your chances of a serious infection if you keep everything clean and you have a healthy active fermentation.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #735
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just add it to the boil. I have began to even add the third addition during racking directly to the boil. I just don't want to screw with the beer that much because I'm lazy. Plus if you just pour it in the fermentor it will sink to the bottom. Even if you rack on top of the beer you have a good chance of the syrup not mixing well and it sitting at the bottom. I've had to use a wine degasser to stir the bottom of my fermentors a number of times.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #736
saq
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 10 Posts

Whenever I have added candi syrup to the fermenter I end up finding some in the bottom at the end of fermentation. Add it after flameout so it gets dissolved.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #737
NBABUCKS1
Recipes 

I guess in the future I'll add at flame out.

What if I pulled half a gallon and gently heated it to ~165 (boiling point of ethyl alcohol is 172) and mixed in the two pounds, cool and added that back in?

Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #738
hughes_brews

Recipes 

Thanks for the recipe! Just brewed this last Sunday. I racked on a yeast cake of 3787 from a Tripel I made a couple weeks ago and it is already down to 1.018 (OG 1.098) in 5 days. Hopefully, I should be down around 1.012 in a couple more days.

One question I have on the cold conditioning in the secondary - do you slowly ramp down the temperature to 50, or just quickly crash it?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #739
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwhite41 View Post
I had a minute so I ran to my office. Here's the write up and I believe there are some videos on youtube as well.
rjwhite41 - Do you have a good St. Bernardus recipe?

Also - I plan on doing either the new world or traditional soon but want to do a single infusion vs. decoction.

Is 148 to 150 the optimal temperature for the single infusion? AND which version works best without decoction? No competitions for me, just consumption; so dead-on flavor and style while important, is not rquired. I like the traditional due to the simple recipe.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:09 AM   #740
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 19

saq - any updates on the traditional and new world recipes? I've seen several variations in this thread and others. What has changed from page one for both recipes?

Quick Reply