Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #721
menisale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I did a side by side tasting of my Old World Pious vs Westmalle 8 and Rochefort 10. I had brewed the Old World on March 30 and then bottled in July, so still a little young in the bottle. So it should continue to improve.

Westmalle 8 was the least favorite. I thought it had almost a root beer float type of flavor.

Rochefort 10 had more complexity and was unanimous 2nd choice. This is a really good beer.

But hands down, no contest, the Old World kicked ass! Far greater complexity, better dark fruit and what I would describe as the esters of a great yeast.

Thank you for a great recipe. This is the third time I've made this, twice with new world and this time with old world. I think the new world is almost too heavy and complex. I'm a fan of the old world, even if it is more work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #722
zazbnf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Planning to brew the traditional next week. I have the following syrups available.

3 lbs D2
1 Lbs CSI D180
1 Lbs CSI D90
1 Lbs CSI D45

Any thoughts on if I should just use the 3 lbs D2 or possibly mix and match?

Old 09-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #723
dale1038
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazbnf
Planning to brew the traditional next week. I have the following syrups available.

3 lbs D2
1 Lbs CSI D180
1 Lbs CSI D90
1 Lbs CSI D45

Any thoughts on if I should just use the 3 lbs D2 or possibly mix and match?
I used 1 lb each of the csi's. Just like you have available. My beer is very good. Not sure what a different combo would bring to the table. Saying that, if I made this again I would do all dark syrup. I don't think you can go wrong here.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 AM   #724
PIEHOLEBREWINGCO
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the recipe can't wait till vacation to brew this

Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #725
Oophaga
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
I just started drinking the latest batch yesterday and its ridiculously good! My FG only got down to 1.015 so its a bit sweeter than I typically like but it comes out and works really well. Its got a dark chocolate syrup, black cherry and dusted cocoa thing going on thats really awesome.
Do you think the heavy chocolate notes would be from the heavy amounts of d-90? How would you expect switching to two lbs of d-180 and one lb of d-90 would change the flavor of that batch? I am thinking of doing that if you think it would be an improvement. Such an expensive batch I am double reading this gigantic thread and still unsure :P

Old 09-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #726
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oophaga View Post
Do you think the heavy chocolate notes would be from the heavy amounts of d-90? How would you expect switching to two lbs of d-180 and one lb of d-90 would change the flavor of that batch? I am thinking of doing that if you think it would be an improvement. Such an expensive batch I am double reading this gigantic thread and still unsure :P
Oophaga, we've been experimenting with a truncated recipe that has been returning good results for us. We've been using only 2 lbs D-180/ 5 gallon batch. You'll get the SRM, mouthfeel, and some rather intense flavors from D-180, (fresh ground coffee, cocoa powder, & caramel). We've patterned after saq's Traditional Old World for this one. Our recipe using this method in our latest brew-trial is posted out on our site. candisyrup

Old 09-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #727
saq
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 10 Posts

The heavy chocolate, black cherry and dusted cocoa thing has got to be from the D180, that stuff is so intense and rich.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #728
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
The heavy chocolate, black cherry and dusted cocoa thing has got to be from the D180, that stuff is so intense and rich.
Yes, that's right on the mark. Denny terms it "coffee" notes. Others have stated it has light cocoa flavors. I would say it has a little of both.

D-90 leans a little more toward dark caramel and some subtle dried stone fruit.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #729
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Brewed a slight modification of the New World yesterday. This is my 3rd time around, and I'm experimenting with the fermentation profile (keeping O2 levels and pitch rate constant):

1st attempt - Followed recipe, pitched at 65F, free rise to 76F in 24hrs, then external heat to 82F, hold until FG. This resulted in too much solvent/hot alcohol character, but also the heavy carmelized/burnt banana flavor reminiscent of the real thing.

2nd attempt - Pitched at 65F, held at 65F for 4 days, slowly increased over 1 week to 75F, hold until FG. This resulted in no solvent/hot alcohol character, but the beer was muted and somewhat lifeless. Some phenolics but little in the way of esters.

Current attempt - Pitched at 65F, free rise to 72F in about 18 hours. Hold at 72F for 48hrs, then increase to 78F over 5 days. Here, I'm hoping to split the difference and get the best of both worlds - the right ester/phenolic character without the solventy notes.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #730
Oophaga
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Thank you all for the quick replies! As of now I am leaning towards a new world recipe as decoctions have me a little bit nervous. Otherwise I am interested in the CSI recipe, but like I said I am nervous about doing my first decoction on such a costly recipe. Time will tell, going to be ordering a stir plate first before I even attempt anything to achieve proper pitching rates.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply