Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #701
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I very recently did a 9 gal batch of the Old World. I then took 3 gal and put some sour cherry juice in the fermentor with a 2" piece of oak spiral and a touch of bourbon. The flavor came out rather nicely I would say. This recipe is pretty suited for the addition of cherries if you ask me.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #702
TheDocta16
Recipes 

Interesting. Smokinghole, what portion would you say you liked better, cherried or regular? Also how did the sour cherry juice translate? Some ppl would argue against using juice instead of whole cherries, but that can get expensive especially for an experiment. How much did you add?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #703
smokinghole

Recipes 

I like both. The cherry version was just for a change of pace and a different beer with little extra effort. The cherry version tastes a touch sweeter since it ended up 4 points higher than the non cherry version. I think if it weren't for the acid it'd taste considerably sweeter. I need to find my notes on the beer. I believe I only added 16 ounces of Knudsen Just Cherry Juice. So in the 3 gal it was not a big percentage but its noticeable. I will need to find where I have it noted and I will post back. I went with juice vs whole cherries because I didn't want to get the yeast from the skins. You can buy irradiated or pasteurized puree or dry cherries I guess. The juice was on sale and I gave it a go.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #704
TheDocta16
Recipes 

Did you sour/use wild yeast for the cherry batch?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:09 AM   #705
smokinghole

Recipes 

I didn't sour it at all. The acid content is purely the malic acid from the cherries.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #706
octo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did this recipe (the traditional version) about 2 months ago. Didnt decoction, but mashed around 154 instead. I didnt have a way to keep it chilled for aging, so I left it at room temp and let it do its thing and when I checked the gravity on it recently it was at 1.000 !!! I have no clue how a 1.100 OG beer finished at 1.000 but I'm thinking this beast is going to need some serious aging.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #707
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2687 Times on 2085 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo
I did this recipe (the traditional version) about 2 months ago. Didnt decoction, but mashed around 154 instead. I didnt have a way to keep it chilled for aging, so I left it at room temp and let it do its thing and when I checked the gravity on it recently it was at 1.000 !!! I have no clue how a 1.100 OG beer finished at 1.000 but I'm thinking this beast is going to need some serious aging.
It happens, especially of the secondary is warm you may get some unexpected gravity loss. My DFH 120 clone just went from 1.12 to 1.0.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #708
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo
It sounds like you have a wild yeast infection or a hydrometer that needs calibration. That degree of attenuation (95%+) is not realistic for this yeast, especially if you mashed at 154F.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #709
octo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
It sounds like you have a wild yeast infection or a hydrometer that needs calibration. That degree of attenuation (95%+) is not realistic for this yeast, especially if you mashed at 154F.
That's what I thought initially, since the blowoff that came from it eventually formed a lacto like pellicle on it, but the fermenter/ beer in fermenter is clean of any signs of infection and the beer tastes just fine (albeit boozy). I used the hydrometer on another beer after and it measured just fine on that one.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #710
smokinghole

Recipes 

Not that it answers the question as to how you got such high attenuation but measuring with a hydrometer is only apparent attenuation. The resulting mixture of alcohol, water, and carbohydrates are difficult to measure with a hydrometer. You very likely have some gravity left but the less dense alcohol is throwing the meter off especially at 13%. Eitherway you still got a crazy high attenuation.

Quick Reply