Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #671
rjwhite41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak
Just got scores back from a local competition. I used a modified new world recipe. Overall i'm kinda pleased. Received a 36 from both judges. Flavor category is where i got dinged the most, but there were really no outright flaws pointed out. Both of their descriptions matched the style guidlines...oh well.

Suggestions were to increase flavor complexity (i agree- flavor is dominated by sweet malt and dark candi syrup, i used 2lbs of just d180) and slightly reduce alcohol. The later comment i don't totally agree with. The alcohol is warming, but doesn't impact the actual flavor (i.e., no fusels). I personally want a bit of a warming with a quad. One judge mentioned that slightly better attentuation would have made this very close to the best example of the style. I was a couple points higher than my target (FG=1.013-14), so i can see that.

Both said it was a great beer though. I have to agree.
Good job. I agree with the alcohol warmth. I got dinged for that too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #672
bigbopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i kegged this today,my f.g. came in @ 1.010.hopfully not to dry.seems to be my biggest problem this past year all my beers over-attenuating.bonus for kegging day my buddy hooked me up with a 2009 dfh world wide,and a 2010 founders kbs.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #673
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just bottled up my most recent iteration of this recipe. I used legacy hops for their supposed black currant flavors, and ECY09 yeast. I got the attenuation I needed to hit 1.012 with an OG at 1.092. It's smoothly dangerous.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #674
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm drinking side by side a traditional and a real westvleteren and it is really close. Mine has been in the bottle for just under a month. I'm hard pressed to tell which one is the real deal and which one is the one I brewed.

Good job on the recipe!

3940L brewed since August 2011.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #675
Gothic_Horror
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 154

For the traditional, you all are doing a decoction, right? Could some kind soul please explain the actual mechanics of how this works with a cooler mash tun/lauter configuration? I understand the principals of a step mash and know what a decoction is, but how would one actually achieve those steps without direct firing.

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #676
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm not set up to do a decoction. I do a simple mash and sparge. I mash at 149 for 90' and I sparge at 171 for 10'.

I swear I'm still drinking the traditional and the real one side by side and it is so close than it is hard to call the real one.

3940L brewed since August 2011.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #677
smokinghole

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothic_Horror View Post
For the traditional, you all are doing a decoction, right? Could some kind soul please explain the actual mechanics of how this works with a cooler mash tun/lauter configuration? I understand the principals of a step mash and know what a decoction is, but how would one actually achieve those steps without direct firing.

Thanks!
Get yourself a pitcher a 2 quart is a good start. I use a 16qt aluminum pot for this by the way. I pull the necessary decoction volume using the pitcher and dump it in the 16 qt pot. I then heat it to the temp I want and then I boil it and add it back to the cooler. It's that easy.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #678
Gothic_Horror
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Get yourself a pitcher a 2 quart is a good start. I use a 16qt aluminum pot for this by the way. I pull the necessary decoction volume using the pitcher and dump it in the 16 qt pot. I then heat it to the temp I want and then I boil it and add it back to the cooler. It's that easy.
That is what I figured, I may have been over thinking it. You will boil your decoction, then add back to cooler which has been sitting for a bit, waiting for the re-introduction of the decoction, with the liquid until you reach the desired temp. Once you reach the temp, what would you do with the remaining liquid in the pot? Drop it back in later before you mash out?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #679
smokinghole

Recipes 

What remaining liquid are you talking about? That's why you pull a specific volume based on the temp and the targeted temp. That will tell you how much to pull and you just add it all back to the mash. That's how I do it at least. I am also lazy in the sense that I don't allow the decoction to sit at mash rest temp before I boil. I just bring it up to a boil then add it back. So what if the enzymes denature in the pot adding them back to the mash will just allow access to the sugars by the non-denatured enzymes in the mash. So while I might now be doing it the "right" way this is how I like doing it, and I do it for a lot of belgian beers especially with brett strains.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #680
clinton69
Recipes 

That's a beer i want to try. Can it be done with extracts?

Quick Reply