Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #651
Gritsak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

What category are people entering this in?

The obvious choice is 18E- Belgian Strong Dark Ale, since it has Westy 12, St. Bernardus, Rochefort 12, etc. listed as classic examples of the style. However, some internet sources and the actual BJCP guidelines also list 16E- Belgian Specialty Ale as a place for Trappist Quads.

Those with competition success with this beer (saq), what category did you use? I'm leaning towards 18E since 16E is broad.

I brew lots of beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #652
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I entered 18e but I didn't have a lot of success.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #653
saq
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts

18E. The kinds of quads that fit into 16E would be more like Pannepot or things that are more like Belgian Barleywines (Scaldis Ambree), basically things that stray pretty far out of the entirety of cat18.
I'm kegging my most recent batch that has been in primary for 3 weeks where it will condition for a bit before getting tapped.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #654
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

18E it is then, thanks for the replies. I picked up a bottle of St. Bernardus 12 last night for comparison and my realized westy clone was way undercarbonated. Luckily i have a few more days until entries are due, so i can still jack up the psi.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #655
cercueil
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for the recipe Saq. I searched high and low for a good Ommegang Three Philosophers clone and didn't come up with anything. I figured I needed a really good quad as a base and ran into this recipe. I added 48 ounces of Vintners Sweet Cherry Puree after about 5 days of fermentation. Its about 3 months old now on tap and its unbelievable. The cherry flavor is not overpowering and you still get to enjoy the great quad flavor. Thanks again for a great recipe and a great job talking about mashing low to get the attenuation and dryness that this needs.

Up Next
Oaked IPA?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #656
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My slightly modified version of the "New World" has been close to two months in the bottle now. Really damn good. One of the better brews I've made I reckon.

I've been having one bottle a week to see how it develops. Quite remarkable how it changes really. If i keep having one a week it will last into next year. Should be interesting

The biggest difference probably came from my home made candi sugar which turned out pretty damn dark

Cheers!

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #657
bigbopper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

brewed this on "the big brew day".missed sg by a few points but had a solid week of fermentation(blow off tube went nuts for 4 days) cant wait to try this.will keg 5 gal. and bottle 5 gal. any specifics on bottling ?

Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #658
bhaff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am still in my secondary but I plan on repitching at bottling.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #659
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I repitched at bottling but mine was bulk aged for 6 months.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #660
BuffaloBeer1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This looks great. I was hoping to brew this next weekend, however, had some questions about this. The highest gravity I have brewed thus far has been a 1.075. I have never used a starter, and have never had any problems getting down to the FG. I usually use either a dried yeast or Wyeast smack packs. Here are some of my questions.
1) I only have 6.5 gallon buckets for fermentation fitted with airlocks. Do I need to worry about blowing off the airlock with this one?
2) I was planning on substituting about 3lbs. of DME due to constraints on the amount of grain I can fit. Would it be beneficial to hold that off until after the fermentation dies down a little, then mix up some wort with it, add it to the primary and restir things? My thinking, is that might help get it down to the FG while not having to worry about exploding yeast.

Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply