Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 AM   #641
rjwhite41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmEk View Post
Thanks for sharing. Also, which version did you submit and did you do anything different then the OP versions? What comp were you in?
Old world/traditional. I did 2# of d2 and 1#of d1. Everything was pretty much the same otherwise. IBU (Iowa Brewers Union) open. The apprentice actually scored my beer higher originally but you can see that he erased numbers and lowered them. There were comments about a lack of hop aroma and flavor from one of them, which we all know is not a part of this style. But all listed fusels as a problem. Again, Rochefort (I've never had Westy) has more fusels than my beer as do the vast majority of quads I've had (and I drink a lot of them). I'm not sure what to think about the results to be honest. I can taste what they are talking about but I disagree with their belief about the style, at least the commercial representation of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #642
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

double post

Last edited by rjwhite41; 04-20-2012 at 03:40 AM. Reason: repetitive

Old 04-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #643
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwhite41
I had a minute so I ran to my office. Here's the write up and I believe there are some videos on youtube as well.
BTW... Thanks for this info... Things got busy and I still haven't got my materials together yet. Informative vid though. Thx

Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #644
Nierika
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Looks like mine finished out at 1.024 (my OG was way over). It's pretty tasty coming in at 10.4%. I haven't started the cold conditioning yet.

I have a bunch of Palo Santo that I have from my travels to Peru. I was thinking about throwing some into the secondary, but I'm not sure how much or what method. They are in large chunks and pieces about the size of a finger. I'm guessing that I should soak them for a while in vodka or everclear to sanitize. Do I leave the pieces whole or chop them into smaller pieces to increase surface area? Any thoughts on amounts or techniques is appreciated.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #645
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2688 Times on 2086 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Is it toasted at all? You might consider toasting it lightly to bring out some flavor

Old 04-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #646
eludden
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nierika View Post
Looks like mine finished out at 1.024 (my OG was way over). It's pretty tasty coming in at 10.4%. I haven't started the cold conditioning yet.

I have a bunch of Palo Santo that I have from my travels to Peru. I was thinking about throwing some into the secondary, but I'm not sure how much or what method. They are in large chunks and pieces about the size of a finger. I'm guessing that I should soak them for a while in vodka or everclear to sanitize. Do I leave the pieces whole or chop them into smaller pieces to increase surface area? Any thoughts on amounts or techniques is appreciated.
I've used Palo Santo once in an RIS and my experience is that a little goes quite a long way. I used about 0.25 oz in 4 gal and it added a nice subtle flavor/aroma without dominating. The RIS was 13.5%ABV and I didn't actually sanitize the wood before adding, which may have been risky but it turned out well. I also left the wood as one whole chunk instead of chopping. Let us know how it turns out in this brew and how much you end up using, I'd be curious.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #647
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I bottle the traditional yesterday and it was wonderful. Can't wait until it is fully ready to be drunk.
How long do you age it in the bottle before drinking it? I plan not to touch it for a least 2 months.

I have a new world fermenting right now, looking forward to compare them both as well as with the original.

4119L brewed since August 2011.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #648
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brought mine the theZapps beer festival exctly 2 months from brewday, and everyone loved it! Kinda sad to see the keg drained that day, but is was a pleasure to share this great beer with all those folks.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #649
jpoder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akavango View Post
How long do you age it in the bottle before drinking it?
IMHO, as long as possible! I brewed both the new world and old world versions in January last year, and they keep getting better...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #650
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoder View Post
IMHO, as long as possible! I brewed both the new world and old world versions in January last year, and they keep getting better...
Which one do you like best? and did you compare them to the original?
If so what are you conclusions.

I put most of the bottle in a hard to reach place to be able to resist as long as possible.

4119L brewed since August 2011.

Quick Reply