Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #631
Nierika
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
Well, you're already in the upper 70's in terms of apparent attenuation, so I don't think that adding more yeast is going to do much in a 10%+ ABV beer. I would just condition it as is and see how it turns out. Won't be quite as dry as the real thing, but might still be a very nice beer.
The sample was pretty tasty as is. There was sweetness there but not cloying. Also, I hadn't read the whole thread when I bought my ingredients. My LHBS had the Candi Syrup brand syrup. I bought 2 D-90 and 1 D-45. With 10 min left in the boil, my scale crapped out so I had to just wing it with syrup measurements.

After reading more It seems like a lot of people are using the D-180 for this recipe. For those of you using it, what amounts did you use?

Damn, I guess I will just have to brew this again to get it right...
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #632
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Last time I made the old world I used 16.5% of my total beer as D-180. So for my 8.5ish gallon batch I used almost 4.5lbs of the syrup. I don't know for sure I had my notes in a beersmith file from the last brew and it crashed so I lost the modifications I made the day before brewing because the standard recipe for me is 7.5gal. My recipe is slight modified too from the original in the post. Also as a bit of side fun the reason for my almost 9 gallon batch was to split some off and do sour cherry and oak. So I have three gallons of sour cherry oaked quad along with my standard version.

Nierika I see your in Philly. I suggest you look into getting some ECY09 from Princton Homebrew and brew this recipe with that yeast. It made for a very very nice beer.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #633
Nierika
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the heads up. I've heard some good things about East Coast Yeast!

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Old 04-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #634
bhaff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed traditional last night. Wondering how long it took for your fermentors to climb into the 80's? I am at 78 within 20 hours of pitching. I do have the fridge set to slow this beast down at 81.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #635
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have seen several people come back and report on comp results with this beer so I thought I would do the same. I got a 29 and as many people before me have stated I was knocked big time for fusels with all responses telling me to lower my ferm temp. I think it's a little odd when quads I drink have more fusels than my beer but fyi for all others looking at this fermentation regimen.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 AM   #636
shmEk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwhite41 View Post
I have seen several people come back and report on comp results with this beer so I thought I would do the same. I got a 29 and as many people before me have stated I was knocked big time for fusels with all responses telling me to lower my ferm temp. I think it's a little odd when quads I drink have more fusels than my beer but fyi for all others looking at this fermentation regimen.
Thanks for sharing. Also, which version did you submit and did you do anything different then the OP versions? What comp were you in?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #637
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In my experience, letting this yeast rip up into the low 80's uncontrolled in a high gravity wort is a mistake in a typical homebrew bucket/carboy setup. Too many fusels produced this way.

Much better results obtained by keeping temps in the mid 60's for the first 48-72hrs, then ramping up to 75F over the course of a week.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #638
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've found that many times with competitions beers are judged on a preconceived idea of what the beer should be. I wonder how a real Westy would fare at these comps compared to the homebrewed versions. I know saq ended up rated better than the real deal in a judging he was involved with.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:18 AM   #639
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
I've found that many times with competitions beers are judged on a preconceived idea of what the beer should be. I wonder how a real Westy would fare at these comps compared to the homebrewed versions. I know saq ended up rated better than the real deal in a judging he was involved with.
saq ran that judging.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #640
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
I wonder how a real Westy would fare at these comps compared to the homebrewed versions. I know saq ended up rated better than the real deal in a judging he was involved with.
Interesting question. I've had the real deal several times, and it has no detectable fusel/solvent character, which is just one part of its unique charm. I wish I could say the same about my Old World version, but I've got to keep it real.

Quick Reply