Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #621
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Hey, I've been reading the ink off this thread for the past two months and I think I'm ready to start getting my stuff together. I was going over my beersmith file and I realized I have a couple questions...

I'm planning on doing the traditional but this is going to be my first decoction. You have 30min set for the two decoction mashes but what does the boil of the decocted liquor look like? Do I bring it to a boil fast and simmer it for the 30 min or do I ramp so I'm boiling at the end of the sach- rest?

My beer smith came up with the same volumes and temps
As the decoction recipie first posted but if I boil off too much these temps ain't gonna be right.

Anybody do the deccoction?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #622
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've done several decoctions. I would say I do a medium boil, more grain than liquid and stir nearly constantly. The volumes take some playing around to get your rest temps right. Can someone post the braukaiser link that explains decoction mashing? I would but I'm on my phone right now.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #623
rjwhite41
Recipes 

I had a minute so I ran to my office. Here's the write up and I believe there are some videos on youtube as well.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #624
bajabrewer7
Recipes 

Thought I'd do a follow up on my version of this. Judges scores were 33 and 32, not bad but I honestly thought it would do much better. It IS a fantastic beer and the comments of the judges said so as well, I entered it as a Belgian Specialty, perhaps I should have entered it as a tripel given the fact that I used a smaller grain bill so it could be ready in time for comp., as it was this was less than 3 months old. I also used clear candi sugar (couldn't find liquid dark, I know I know, clear candi is almost the same as no candy, but it did help dry it out)

In any case, will brew this again to form and will let you know how it comes out, I have made a few mods that I'll datail later.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #625
Nierika
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I checked my gravity at day 5 & day 7 and seem to be stuck @ 1.024. I did overshoot my OG by quite a bit. (OG was 1.103), so I'm not really sure what to expect for my FG. Also, I've been keeping it at 82 degrees using a brewbelt. Last night I forgot to unplug it before going to bed. When I came down this morning the temp was off the strip on the carboy. Took a sample about an hour after unplugging and was at 85 degrees.

My questions are:
1- Did I kill off my yeast? I'm not sure what temps the 530 can tolerate.
2- Should I get another starter going and repitch?

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #626
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nierika View Post
I checked my gravity at day 5 & day 7 and seem to be stuck @ 1.024. I did overshoot my OG by quite a bit. (OG was 1.103), so I'm not really sure what to expect for my FG. Also, I've been keeping it at 82 degrees using a brewbelt. Last night I forgot to unplug it before going to bed. When I came down this morning the temp was off the strip on the carboy. Took a sample about an hour after unplugging and was at 85 degrees.

My questions are:
Well, you're already in the upper 70's in terms of apparent attenuation, so I don't think that adding more yeast is going to do much in a 10%+ ABV beer. I would just condition it as is and see how it turns out. Won't be quite as dry as the real thing, but might still be a very nice beer.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:45 AM   #627
Scribble
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made 10 gallons of this recipe and put Jolly Pumpkin dregs in 5 gallons of it. It smells delicious. I don't know if you like funky/sour beers, but that would bring down the FG some if you don't get it down otherwise.

Quote:

My questions are:

Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #628
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 100 Posts

You could also possibly get a few more points out of a little amylase enzyme if it's not the yeast.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #629
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Quote:

My questions are:
Don't use alpha amylaze unless you can denature it. Just put it away and wait. Sometimes this yeast will take forever to chew threw the last few points. When I did my version of this it got stuck at 1.028. Didn't budge for a month so I put it in the basement and forgot about it. I didn't check it for nearly 6 months. When I did it was down to 1.012. By the way, I believe I underpitched and that's what caused the problem.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #630
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 100 Posts

Amylase enzyme doesn't need to be denatured it will only go so far. It's not the same as beano. Yeast produce their own amylase in a sense which is what allows some to ferment maltotriose and others can't. I used amylase enzyme in a dubbel that finished too sweet. I put the enzyme in there and it dropped to 1.012 and stopped. It was perfect until I developed a pedio rope from a careless cross contamination I caused at some point.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Quick Reply