Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 06:33 AM   #601
menisale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Do I make the new world or the old world recipe?

I'm going to brew one of them this Friday but trying to decide which one. I've brewed the new world twice with excellent results. thinking about stepping up and doing the old world but having reservations because of the great results from the new world.

Thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #602
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Holy crap. My New word is trying to escape! Currently exiting via the blow off tube which hardly sticks through the lid. Thats a lot of freakin head space to fill with krausen! Seriously active fermentation.

Edit: I ended up top cropping some yeast for an upcoming brew. No point letting those dumb yeasts commit suicide

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #603
saq
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

Thats pretty normal, the Westmalle yeast is incredibly vigorous and likes to get out of the airlock. You want to get the temperature up to at least 78/79f (26c) to get it to do its thing for this beer properly.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:20 AM   #604
sockmerchant
Recipes 

I've used the westmalle yeast a half dozen times or so but its never been this active. Its still spilling yeast jizz through the blow off 2 days later

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 03-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #605
Layne
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mine was a big hit at the Zapps beer fest in Baton Rouge this weekend.
Lots of positive comments, and compliments. and then that awefull sound when the keg runs dry..... Oh well, it was enjoyed by many. Now time to brew it again.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #606
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
Thats pretty normal, the Westmalle yeast is incredibly vigorous and likes to get out of the airlock. You want to get the temperature up to at least 78/79f (26c) to get it to do its thing for this beer properly.
What do you guys recommend as far as a fermentation temperature schedule? I ask because I made the old world version, pitched at 64F, and let it free rise to 75F. I then applied external heat to get it to 82F within 12 hours.

I got dinged by 4 different judges for the beer being too solventy/harsh, and I can detect it as well. They all blame it on too hot of a fermentation, and I have to agree.

I know the stated practice of Westvelteren in BLAM is to get it up into the 80's, but I'm not so sure this can be directly correlated to a home setup due to differences in fermentor geometry, open vs. closed, etc.

Any experience/guidance/advice would be appreciated.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 AM   #607
ALF
Recipes 

Layne, Im really interested in trying your technique on boiling the first runnings (may add some plain sugar with it as well). Did you brew the traditional or new world? How did the color turn out? Would you reduce the same amount of first runnings?

Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #608
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
What do you guys recommend as far as a fermentation temperature schedule? I ask because I made the old world version, pitched at 64F, and let it free rise to 75F. I then applied external heat to get it to 82F within 12 hours.

I got dinged by 4 different judges for the beer being too solventy/harsh, and I can detect it as well. They all blame it on too hot of a fermentation, and I have to agree.

I know the stated practice of Westvelteren in BLAM is to get it up into the 80's, but I'm not so sure this can be directly correlated to a home setup due to differences in fermentor geometry, open vs. closed, etc.

How long was it aged before you entered it?

Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #609
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post

80% of my brews are belgian style, and therefore tend to be of higher alcohol. I have found that hot fermentation can definitely lead to fusal alcohol problems. As a general rule, I tend to try and keep my fermentation temps to 65-68 for the first 2 days (or at least 50 percent of attenuation) and then let it free rise. From personal experience it seems that the fusal alcohols are mostly produced during the crazy first 2 days of fermentation.

I definitely would not let it free rise (in most cases) for the entire fermentation process.

I have had some issues keeping this particular brew's temps under control. the hydro sample i tasted last night did not seem to have much in the way of hot alcohol, so looking good so far.
Chrily Likes This 
Old 03-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #610
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwhite41 View Post
How long was it aged before you entered it?
In my experience ageing has done nothing to reduce hot alcohol.

Quick Reply