Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #591
bhaff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewing traditional recipe Friday. Any advice? I plan to add all three pounds of dark candi at flame out and use a heck of a starter. I think I will set my chamber to 79 hoping the internal temp is less than 83.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #592
saq
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 10 Posts

Set your chamber to 72 after you cool, you'll get a 6+ temp rise over ambient quite easily, then adjust.
I'm brewing a new recipe I've outlined previously this weekend, I'll post more details later. Finally going to use my CSI syrups I've had for oh about a year

Old 03-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #593
bhaff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dang! My starter might have blown off too much while on the stir plate. Looks like brew day is going to be delayed a week or so. I made an small 650 ml starter and pitched the slurry into 2 liter starter and I have 1600 ml left. Think another smack pack would get me to the needed cell count?

Old 03-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #594
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaff
Dang! My starter might have blown off too much while on the stir plate. Looks like brew day is going to be delayed a week or so. I made an small 650 ml starter and pitched the slurry into 2 liter starter and I have 1600 ml left. Think another smack pack would get me to the needed cell count?
I would pitch what you have. It's actually covered in Brew Like a Monk that some breweries doing Belgian style ales are purposefully under pitching, to enhance ester production during the growth phase. There has been some research to indicate that a less than nominal pitch can actually result in a lower FG though I can't link any references to that ATM

Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #595
bhaff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I now have 1500 ml and a fresh smack pack. I do understand under pitching to encourage esters but at what point will it stress my yeast to the point of hot alcohol?

image-2326869368.jpg  

Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #596
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Brewed the new world today. Repitched some yeast from a tripel I brewed a few weeks ago. Washed the yeast from one jar and did a starter. It chewed through the 1L starter in no time.

I pitched that, and decided to add the yeaSt from another jar as well.

Might have over pitched it though as its now just over 6 hours since pitching and just started bubbling away. Defitely the fastest of the brews I've done

Can't seem the keep the temps down where I wanted it either. It's in a swamp cooler as my fermentation fridge has been turned back into an extra keg fridge. Currently the water is at 16c(60) and the wort is 23c (73). I have melted all my ice bottles trying to chill the damn thing. Guess it'll be what it'll be just a bit scared about what the temps will get when it really gets going

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #597
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmerchant
Brewed the new world today. Repitched some yeast from a tripel I brewed a few weeks ago. Washed the yeast from one jar and did a starter. It chewed through the 1L starter in no time.

I pitched that, and decided to add the yeaSt from another jar as well.

Might have over pitched it though as its now just over 6 hours since pitching and just started bubbling away. Defitely the fastest of the brews I've done

Can't seem the keep the temps down where I wanted it either. It's in a swamp cooler as my fermentation fridge has been turned back into an extra keg fridge. Currently the water is at 16c(60) and the wort is 23c (73). I have melted all my ice bottles trying to chill the damn thing. Guess it'll be what it'll be just a bit scared about what the temps will get when it really gets going
Unless you live on the surface of the sun I think you'll be ok. Temp control with Belgian yeast is most often left to the yeast themselves. If you try and slow them down, I have read that they can stall out and you can have difficulty hitting final grav.
No temp control also favors esters. I don't think I would try to control it at all.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #598
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Some Belgian strains will just plain crash if you dry to reign in their temps. All you can do is hold it and prevent it from going too high really, but you should not try and cool it down.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #599
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Some Belgian strains will just plain crash if you dry to reign in their temps. All you can do is hold it and prevent it from going too high really, but you should not try and cool it down.
Yeah that's the plan. I do mostly Belgians so do have a bit of experience with them I tend to try and control the temps for two days to keep the fusal alcohol down, then I let it rise to finish out.

This fermentation is unusually hot in my experience though. At least it's not the chimay yeast. That would be banana central
Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 03-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #600
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Ok its sitting at 20C now and bubbling continuously through the blow off tube. Yeast sexy time party

Quick Reply