Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 04:11 AM   #221
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 10 Posts

We actually just discussed in the last few pages not using too much yeast. Go back and read.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 12:43 PM   #222
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
We actually just discussed in the last few pages not using too much yeast. Go back and read.
Went back and re-read that. I'm still considering the blonde as a starter but using a cup to scoop out the appropriate amount of yeast to pitch in the westy...I've successfully done this in a few other brews.

I'm curious about whether slightly underpitching results in a better beer in this case though (as you alluded to in a post several pages back)...

Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #223
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
Depending on a lot of factors, a cake from a blonde may not be too much yeast. Measuring the amount of yeast you pitch is, of course, always better.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #224
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
Now that you have a patent, can you share the process with us?
Our LLC has non-disclosure clauses in our corporate charter for the partners so it just isn't possible without loss. The patent is also pending on the process (not the recipe).

However, in the spirit of open brewing I would be happy to share any and all of our brewing recipes. In fact, these will be printed on our packaging.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #225
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 10

When or where are we going to get to try this stuff. I am antsy from reading about it. I just ordered the Belgian Candi brand stuff to do this recipe up. I would like to compare it to the belgian candi brand and also some Kitul Jaggery which is super dark palm sugar.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 AM   #226
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief_Brewing View Post
Went back and re-read that. I'm still considering the blonde as a starter but using a cup to scoop out the appropriate amount of yeast to pitch in the westy...I've successfully done this in a few other brews.

I'm curious about whether slightly underpitching results in a better beer in this case though (as you alluded to in a post several pages back)...
What yeast strain did you use in your blonde?

Just as an FYI, saq has the lead in brewing this recipe and I think it's fair to say he's probably the originator of the recipe within the team who collaborated on this. His advice, though succinct, is usually pretty good.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #227
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
When or where are we going to get to try this stuff. I am antsy from reading about it. I just ordered the Belgian Candi brand stuff to do this recipe up. I would like to compare it to the belgian candi brand and also some Kitul Jaggery which is super dark palm sugar.
It will initially be available for direct order from our site. We will then branch out to LHBS locations around the country. The direct order site will be launched this Fall. The site itself is already done but the packaging and production location is still under construction.

We will be offering D90 and D180. D180 is the premium Belgian style candi syrup you would use in the Westy clones. We will offer a limited number of sample packs at shipping cost only, (100 packs or so).

BTW, we have a recipe for an English oatmeal stout that uses 1# of Date sugar that is fantastic. The Date sugar adds a very nice richness.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM   #228
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since_Uuz_Up View Post
What yeast strain did you use in your blonde?
The yeast is in transit and I'll throw together a quick 5-gal 1.04 blonde once it arrives. It's Wyeast Trappist High Gravity 3787.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #229
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default The final Traditional from 2010

After 5 long batches from last Fall we have decided on our favorite variation to saq's outstanding recipe. Most of our team from Candi Syrup, Inc concluded unanimously that this is as near perfect to an actual Westvletern 12 that we have tasted in our test batches using D180. Hats off to saq and team. Here is our adjusted recipe:

WESTVLETEREN 12 CLONE - VARIATION 005

SPECS:
Yeast: WLP530 or WY3787
Yeast Starter: 1.75L - 2.0L (Stir plate required)
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
IBU: 34
SRM: 35
OG: 1.092
FG: 1.012
ABV: 11.36%
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

MASH WATER
9.00 Gallons spring water.

FERMENTATION:
Primary: 7 days in glass @ 65F ramp controlled to 83F
Secondary: 7 days @ 65F
Additional: 49 days @ 50 - 52F

FERMENTABLES
3.00 lbs D180 Belgian-style Candi Syrup (Candi Syrup, Inc.)
12.0 lbs Dingemann's Belgian Pilsner
4.00 lbs Dingemann's Belgian Pale
0.10 lbs Belgian Debittered black malt (very important addition here)

HOPS
1.00 oz Brewers Gold [9.70 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Hersbrucker [2.40 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [4.10 %] (25 min)

OTHER
1 - Servomyces tab (optional)

MASH SCHEDULE
Protein Rest: @ 132.0 F (9 gallons in), 30 min.
Low Saccharification: @152F. (Decoction), 35 min.
High Saccharification: @158F. (Decoction), 35 min.

NOTES
Note, add syrup at 3 minutes prior to flame-out. Chill to 65F. Pitch and ramp temp from 65F to 82-83F over 5 days and hold at 83F for 2 days more. At this point you should be near a gravity of 1.020. Rack to secondary at 65f for another 7 days then let "languish" for 49 days at 55-60F in glass. If your yeast is strong and your candi syrup is premium, (we're biased), you should hit terminal gravity 1.012 in about 21 days. Bottle or keg after another 28 days (total 49 days). Fantastic after 5 months...getting better every month after.

Final notes: the Brewers Gold hops was a very good choice for authenticity in this ale. It added that slightly needed additional flavor profile for a perfect Westy 12 clone. Also, saccharification temps at first glance look high but we found over trial and error that the higher temps contribute to the unique "chewy" mouth-feel and texture and helps the flavors linger on the palate. Last but not least, we tried to keep this recipe simple with the candi syrup, yeast, and hops developing the flavors on a simple base of 2 grains, (w/ a pinch of black malt for aging stability). This ale is a genuine work of art.

Cheers!

www.candisyrup.com

Old 04-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #230
saq
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 10 Posts

Sounds great, I'm about to brew a new batch, when can I get 3lbs of D180 for my quad

Quick Reply