Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 03:30 AM   #191
Tall_Yotie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I had the flavor come through from the 3711 on a brew of the same style as this recipe. It actually goes pretty poorly with it, 5 months of aging and I still don't care for it; may be dumping it after one last tasting attempt.

As for the temp, I went and got a 10g cylindrical cooler (been wanting one as a mash tun to replace my rectangular one), put the fermenter in there and added warm water. I then realized that my BACKUP thermometer reads 1F below actual, so the wort is sitting at 82F (6 gallons) with the bath around it at 89 (4 gallons). I tried to cool off the bath a bit, will see how that goes, but I would rather have the issue of having to cool the wort rather than having to warm it. Luckily my backup to my backup thermometer works fine.

I will probably post again soon to show that all is going well and back on track!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #192
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post
I had the flavor come through from the 3711 on a brew of the same style as this recipe. It actually goes pretty poorly with it, 5 months of aging and I still don't care for it; may be dumping it after one last tasting attempt.

As for the temp, I went and got a 10g cylindrical cooler (been wanting one as a mash tun to replace my rectangular one), put the fermenter in there and added warm water. I then realized that my BACKUP thermometer reads 1F below actual, so the wort is sitting at 82F (6 gallons) with the bath around it at 89 (4 gallons). I tried to cool off the bath a bit, will see how that goes, but I would rather have the issue of having to cool the wort rather than having to warm it. Luckily my backup to my backup thermometer works fine.

I will probably post again soon to show that all is going well and back on track!
Yep, given the amazing vitality of 3711 I'm not surprised that it added it's funk to the brew. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #193
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So after 5 days I am only at 1.026; I am thinking of keeping it at the 80-82F range for another day. Should I bring the temp down a little though? I want to let it ferment out, but I don't want to end up with banana beer. That happened last time I brewed this when a heat wave hit it when it was supposed to be cooling down.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #194
gio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
Took the first gravity reading today, 7 days after pitching. It was at 1.018 so it's exactly where it should be. I've been holding it at 81 the past few days. I'll continue to hold it there a few more days, then I'll let it drop to 65, and transfer to secondary next weekend to age it at 50 for another 6 weeks or so.

I tasted the wort and wow, it's amazing. Very strong fruity esters and little to no fusel alcohols. It had a very warm alcoholic taste though. I suppose this is to be expected though as it's about 10% ABV, very young, and not yet carbonated. I'm not sure if it's the yeast, the warm fermentation temps or the D2 (none of which I've used before) but this beer promises to be great so far.
Racked to secondary for cold conditioning on Saturday after two weeks in the primary. Gravity was 1.014 which might be slightly high but within the range of error of my hydrometer. Tasted some of the beer and wow, it tastes amazing so far. It definitely has that thick plum/fig fruity flavor that I like in belgian quads. I've never had Westvleteren 12, so I don't know if it's close but it tastes kind of like Rochefort 10 which I've heard is similar. It's going to be tough waiting 8 more weeks. I feel like if I bottled it now, it would be a great beer, so I can't imagine how will get even better. I think the D2 belgian candi syrup and fermentation temperatures made the difference (as did perhaps the decoction mash). I just brewed a Rochefort 10 clone this past weekend with a similar recipe where I also added in a little amber candi syrup. Can't wait to see how that one turns out.

Primary 1: Oskar Blues Gordon Clone
Secondary 2: Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale Clone
Secondary 3: Pre-prohibition American Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Bottle Conditioning: Cherry Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: Rochefort 10 Clone
Drinking: Westvleteren 12 Clone

Old 03-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #195
smuth10
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Which recipe did you use for the Rochefort 10 clone?

Scott...

Primary: Reaper's Mild
Secondary:
Kegged (aging):
Kegged (Drinking): DFH 120 Min IPA Clone, Hefe
Bottled: Cinnamon Vanilla Mead, 8-8-08 RIS, Devil May Cry, Westvleteren 12 clone, Very Berry Mead
On Deck: How Rye am I Saison, DFH 120 min clone

Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #196
gio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuth10 View Post
Which recipe did you use for the Rochefort 10 clone?
I started a thread about it, here are the basics:

11.25lb Belgian Pilsner
1.0lb Flaked Wheat
1.5lb CaraVienne
1.5lb CaraMunich
0.25lb Belgian Debittered Black
1.5lb Amber Belgian Candi Syrup (10min)
2.25lb D2 Belgian Candi Syrup (10min)
0.25oz Crushed Coriander (10min)
4tsp Yeast Nutrient (10min)
1/2tsp Irish Moss
8 AAU Styrian Goldings (80min)
4 AAU Hallertauer Hersbrucker (10min)
Wyeast 1762 Rochefort
Batch size: 5.5 gallons
OG: 1.098 (75% efficiency)
FG: 1.014 (estimated)
IBU: 27
SRM: 45
Boil time: 90min
Enhanced double decoction mash, pitch at 68, let rise, for 2 weeks, rack to secondary cold condition for 6 weeks, repitch and bottle condition

Old 03-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #197
saq
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since_Uuz_Up View Post
Given the level of refinement of sucrose I do understand your point and in principle I agree. (here's where I waffle on the issue a little). Basic refined sucrose is treated with hydrochloric acid in the refining process and trace by-products were showing up in our analysis so we decided we wanted an indisputably pure product. Even if the levels were tolerable it was just contrary to our business vision even at the mmg level. Organic sugar is about 15% more in cost but in bulk, (1000 lb palates), the cost increase is eliminated. So, we can sleep a little better at night knowing our level of quality even exceeds European food standards
When are you going to have a few pounds of your D90 and D180 for me to test? I've got a batch of the Traditional coming up soon

Old 03-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #198
gio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
When are you going to have a few pounds of your D90 and D180 for me to test? I've got a batch of the Traditional coming up soon
I'm interested in beta testing too. I make a belgian every month and I'd love to try out your new syrup.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #199
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
saq, gio, we're excited about offering the authentic syrups too. We have agreed to perform trials only once our finished retail packaging is ready and we have the capacity for US sales, (we're estimating 600 Liters/day) . When production is at least partially up and running early this Fall, we'll immediately begin trials with full volume sales following in early November. We will only be trialing D90 and D180 coming in Spring 2012.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:44 AM   #200
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since_Uuz_Up View Post
saq, gio, we're excited about offering the authentic syrups too.
I think it's funny that you can call them "authentic" syrups. That's a pretty meaningless term, but it sounds good for marketing, so it'll probably serve you well.

I hope the AHA doesn't mind, but I had the opportunity to ask Stan Hieronymus from BLAM about this for the last AHA "Ask and expert" column:
The gist of my question was "what's the deal with dark candi syrup?"
Stan Answers:
“Authentic” seems to cause particular confusion when it comes to monastery-brewed beers. Every Trappist brewery in Belgium has made many changes in process in recent years, even since BLAM was published. Things certainly have changed since the 1920s when Westmalle began using what was referred to as “candi sugar,” but was in fact what we would call dark syrup. Does the fact that a brewery would change vendors over time make it less authentic?

But specifically, no, there is no single vendor. The companies that make the syrup do much more business with confectionary manufacturers. Literally at the same time that BLAM was working its way through the final stages of production Brian Mercer was tracking down syrups to import and the result was Dark Candi Inc. I wouldn’t call it “black magic” but I’ve since tasted many American-brewed beers that have the same rich, rummy character you find in a beer from Rochefort, and those beers included Dark Candi in the recipe. As Randy Mosher has pointed out in his own books, and in providing a syrup recipe for BLAM, you can make your own dark syrup. You can also experiment with less refined sugars from specialty grocers. For example there is a Mexican grocery near me that sells a sugar with distinct rummy notes."

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Quick Reply