Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #181
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
Do it! I've never oaked a beer I didn't like.
Why would you oak a beer you didn't like? I just take them to parties and let my friends drink them!

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #182
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Question about the fermentation temp.

I have the brew going, and it has leveled out at 74F after 2 days, no change in temp in the last 24 hours. I have no good way of artificially heating this. it is wrapped up in a bunch of blankets. I have also lost a decent amount of yeast to the blow off bucket. SG is at a 1.048, by my calculations it should have been a 1.042 to keep with the time schedule.

Should I just let it ride and figure it will take longer to ferment, or should I do anything to the brew to get it to ferment aggressively? I am figuring the temp level is to get esters produced rather than to get the fermentation done, correct? I normally do the RDWHAHB, but I want to catch this early if I need to adjust it rather than futz with it later.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #183
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts

I would put it in a tub with warm water (about 85F) and add hot water bottles to keep the temp up as close to 80 as possible.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #184
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwhite41 View Post
I would put it in a tub with warm water (about 85F) and add hot water bottles to keep the temp up as close to 80 as possible.
As I am in a little apartment I don't really have a spare tub to stick the fermenter in, as I don't think I want to take a shower with it. Though, it is supposed to be water/air tight....

I might stick the bucket in my boil kettle and wrap that up to insulate. Assuming I can get 1 gallon around the bucket, I need to have that water initially 115F. If I open the lid of the fermenter and give it a gentle stir, this will keep parts fo the wort from getting too much heat all at once. Or does this sound a bad plan?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #185
saq
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts

The temperature level is important for this beer coming out the right way. Both ester production and attenuation level. There really isn't a way around that.
Get a fermwrap or some kind of heater you can wrap around your fermenter.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #186
gio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post
As I am in a little apartment I don't really have a spare tub to stick the fermenter in, as I don't think I want to take a shower with it. Though, it is supposed to be water/air tight....

I might stick the bucket in my boil kettle and wrap that up to insulate. Assuming I can get 1 gallon around the bucket, I need to have that water initially 115F. If I open the lid of the fermenter and give it a gentle stir, this will keep parts fo the wort from getting too much heat all at once. Or does this sound a bad plan?
I put mine in a closet with a space heater and very carefully set the thermostat to keep it just warm enough.

Primary 1: Oskar Blues Gordon Clone
Secondary 2: Pannepot Old Fishermans Ale Clone
Secondary 3: Pre-prohibition American Lager
Bottle Conditioning: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Bottle Conditioning: Cherry Wheat
Bottle Conditioning: Rochefort 10 Clone
Drinking: Westvleteren 12 Clone

Old 02-24-2011, 11:00 PM   #187
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Yotie View Post

I'm sorry I didn't mean a bath tub, I meant a storage tub or better yet a cooler. Just about anything that can hold warm water should work. Instead of using warm water bottles you could also use an aquarium heater. If you have a ferm wrap or space heater that would be better but I have found this to be a cheap alternative although it requires more attention.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #188
Tall_Yotie
Recipes 

I figured that after posting, hehe.
I have a trash can but that is really big. I am thinknig perhaps a 10g cooler (like that used for a mash tun) if the bucket with spigot can fit. If not, my brew kettle could work and just wrap the whole deal up. I will replace the lid with some plastic wrap so I can easier stir the wort to get the temperature distributed as well as monitor it. The aquarium heat I have might work, and as far as space heaters go or fermwrap I have none, alas.
Hopefully I can find a practical solution. Will get that done after work.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #189
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
Are you using unrefined sugar? If you are using refined granulated white sugar it seems kind of silly to go for organic if its something in the range of 99%+ pure minimum.
Given the level of refinement of sucrose I do understand your point and in principle I agree. (here's where I waffle on the issue a little). Basic refined sucrose is treated with hydrochloric acid in the refining process and trace by-products were showing up in our analysis so we decided we wanted an indisputably pure product. Even if the levels were tolerable it was just contrary to our business vision even at the mmg level. Organic sugar is about 15% more in cost but in bulk, (1000 lb palates), the cost increase is eliminated. So, we can sleep a little better at night knowing our level of quality even exceeds European food standards

Old 02-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #190
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by saq View Post
Adding more yeast of the same strain is not going to help lower the OG if the yeast has fermented all of the available fermentable sugars. Adding a more attenuative yeast (which can eat more complex sugars) will help, WY3711 is probably your best bet, its clean and will eat just about anything.
Disagree just a little on this saq. Yeast that has been exhausted may still be alive but no longer attenuative. I've re-pitched Westmalle before with notable reduction in OG but this is a very last resort. Measured single pitch is always best.

Yep, 3711 is an efficient bug. Our experience is that it adds a classic Saison "funk" but never having used it on a Westy clone I'm not sure if the flavor will come though or not.

Quick Reply