Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #1831
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascw View Post
My son, who made the syrup, says we should at least rate a dubbel.
Dubbels are normally a little darker than quads on the import side, e.g. visually compare a Westmalle dubbel with a Westvleteren 12. If the picture rendering of the sample is accurate then the color is considerably outside this category of ale and the resulting flavor will be also. You may consider picking up a copy of BLAM (Brew Like a Monk) and adhere more closely to the way the monks brew this ale. Otherwise we're just experimenting around with an unknown ale on an advanced brewing thread, not brewing a Westy 12 clone.

"Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys." - John Palmer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #1832
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheNuke View Post
Well I am at Pitched Day 6 beginning with a 2700ml 1.040 starter. OG was 1.088 (a bit on the light side but I was .75 gallon heavy at the end of the boil). Now at 1.028. Made an executive decision to rouse the Yeasties with a wine degasser and switched from blow off tubes to 3 piece airlocks (less backpressure). Temp is stuck at 71F - so a few degrees cold. May heat it tomorrow up to 77F (or at least the chest freezer it is in - now open to the garage at 72F ambient).

WOW - the color of this primary is a deep mahogany brown like I've never brewed before!
At low 70's I've seen Westmalle go to 'sleep' in the latter stages of primary. I like to keep it at the top of the 70's and even up to 80F until it reaches 1 point above FG, (1.013). A degasse rouse is an interesting technique...that's a first

+1

"Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys." - John Palmer

Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #1833
thomascw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Dubbels are normally a little darker than quads on the import side, e.g. visually compare a Westmalle dubbel with a Westvleteren 12. If the picture rendering of the sample is accurate then the color is considerably outside this category of ale and the resulting flavor will be also. You may consider picking up a copy of BLAM (Brew Like a Monk) and adhere more closely to the way the monks brew this ale. Otherwise we're just experimenting around with an unknown ale on an advanced brewing thread, not brewing a Westy 12 clone.
I will certainly pick up a copy of blam. I know this is was a difficult bew; but was i correct in assuming the lack of color was due to the syrup? Beside doing biab/no chill, i felt like we followed the recipe pretty well. The stout and porter we brewed both got their color from the grain.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:47 AM   #1834
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Putting together the measurements for water adjustments to brew on Sunday... I had a smack pack of 3787 that was born on 7 November... Needless to say I was concerned when I didnt get any activity in my starter for the first two steps... I assumed my viability was probably 5%... but on the third step I saw kreusen... So its alive!

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 05-03-2014, 06:59 AM   #1835
tehnick
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Might not hurt to step it again to grow a tad more yeast. You can get away with some under pitching but you'll pay the price in frustration troubleshooting and fixing a stuck fermentation if you under pitch too much. My first attempt got stuck at 1.032 because my starter was too small and I had to grow another from the krausen to get it going again but it took a bit to finish because of the stall.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #1836
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 16

1.020 and bubbling at 71F. Come on yeasties push!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Sour Fermentations In Progress:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps05852f14.jpg

Old 05-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #1837
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

But to quit being stubborn I just connected a 200 watt heater to the ranco controlling my 15cu ft chest freezer with the 3 five gallon westy 12s in it... Heating as we speak.

Sour Fermentations In Progress:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps05852f14.jpg

Old 05-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #1838
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascw View Post
I will certainly pick up a copy of blam. I know this is was a difficult bew; but was i correct in assuming the lack of color was due to the syrup? Beside doing biab/no chill, i felt like we followed the recipe pretty well. The stout and porter we brewed both got their color from the grain.
Yes, absolutely: all the dark color in this recipe comes from the caramelized syrup.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #1839
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowstream View Post
Yes, absolutely: all the dark color in this recipe comes from the caramelized syrup.
Yep, concur.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #1840
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheNuke View Post
1.020 and bubbling at 71F. Come on yeasties push!

You're on the home stretch. Good pitch.

Quick Reply