Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #1371
CSI
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjalderman View Post
Awesome, I was going to try using an all pils base when I brew this next week. I have another quick question about decoction, if we can look at your recipe for a second. How long do you hold your decoctions at boiling? Thanks!
I like to start the decoction by crashing the mash onto a hot kettle for a subtle maltose carmelization. Then we bring to a boil and hold for about 2-3 minutes, (stirring to make sure the grain does not char). We have a stainless bottom surface diameter of 22". Surface area counts in decoction timing. More maltose carmelization occurs on a larger surface area in less time.

Saq has an interesting reduction technique that by definition can also be considered a refined form of decoction and is well worth looking into. If memory serves he uses decanted wort (not sure if it is vorlaufed) and then reduces it down with a high rolling boil to a thickened consistency then adds it back to the mash. A somewhat advanced but very cool method

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2013, 01:46 AM   #1372
cjalderman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I'm looking forward to this brewday now instead of wondering if I'll be able to do it correctly haha

Old 07-25-2013, 02:57 AM   #1373
savylemons
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Oh wow my first attempt at the csi recipe with decoction I boiled the decoction 20+ minutes. I really could have saved myself some time with that 2-3 minute boil. I hope it doesn't have a negative impact on the flavor.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #1374
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by savylemons View Post
Oh wow my first attempt at the csi recipe with decoction I boiled the decoction 20+ minutes. I really could have saved myself some time with that 2-3 minute boil. I hope it doesn't have a negative impact on the flavor.
It'll be fine. Just a little more caramelized maltose

Cheers!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #1375
Oophaga
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Saq, would you mind chiming in on your reduction technique? Could that be used in lieu of the proper decoction? I did a practice decoction mashout to see how it works on a quad recipe recently. I didn't quite hit my numbers but followed some suggestion that said boil at least 15 minutes which seems to have been complete overkill and led to the dropping of the mash temp. I will attempt the same again just to practice at hitting target temps of 170 before I risk it on a proper batch like the Westy clone.

Thank you,

Ryan

Old 08-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #1376
VOCBrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Ready to pull the trigger

Ok, after reading over 3.5 years of this thread and taking endless notes I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm going to brew New world and CSI's 17x. I do BIAB and was wondering, instead of decoction can I do a mash in @129* for 20 min. Then just increase the temp to 150* for 90 min then increase the heat again to mash out@170*? Then I would fly sparge to get to my preboil volume.

Thanks to Saq, CSI and all who have contributed to this thread. My D-180 and D-90 came in yesterday and I'm pumped to get this going.

Primary #1: Westvleteren 12 clone
Primary #2: Empty
Primary #3: Newell's Groundhog Cider
Secondary #1: Slim's Graham Cracker Ale 2.0
Secondary #2: Empty
Secondary #3: Empty
Keg #1: Left Hand Milk Stout clone
Keg #2: Dogfish head 90 minute IPA clone
Keg #3: Newell's Groundhog Cider

Old 08-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #1377
PJoyce85
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just bottled mine up today. It's a little lighter in color because I used sugar from Belgium, but still to style and it tastes great.

Thanks for the recipes and this thread!

image-4176476405.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #1378
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJoyce85 View Post
Just bottled mine up today. It's a little lighter in color because I used sugar from Belgium, but still to style and it tastes great.

Thanks for the recipes and this thread!
Great pic!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #1379
bovinejony
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed the traditional yesterday:
Only bought 1lb of D2 candy syrup by accident. So, it will be a much lighter beer, and needs less bittering. Thus, I only boiled for 60minutes, bittering at 60min with Target hops (version of northern brewer, spicier i think, me likey), and then 1.5oz of hallertauer at 15minutes. I added the D2 and flameout. FG was 1.072. Now I just hope my WL530 takes care of the rest.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:20 AM   #1380
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOCBrewery View Post
Ok, after reading over 3.5 years of this thread and taking endless notes I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm going to brew New world and CSI's 17x. I do BIAB and was wondering, instead of decoction can I do a mash in @129* for 20 min. Then just increase the temp to 150* for 90 min then increase the heat again to mash out@170*? Then I would fly sparge to get to my preboil volume.

Thanks to Saq, CSI and all who have contributed to this thread. My D-180 and D-90 came in yesterday and I'm pumped to get this going.
If you read Brewing Better Beer by Gordon Strong the answer is YES you can attain the results of a decoction mash by adjusting your grain bill (that is the variable) and step mashing.

Quick Reply