Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #1361
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1019 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by savylemons
I won the Belgian strong ale category in alabamas first bjcp homebrew competition with the new world recipe.
That's awesome! Congrats

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #1362
CSI
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by savylemons View Post
I won the Belgian strong ale category in alabamas first bjcp homebrew competition with the new world recipe. I have the old world conditioning right now currently only 2 weeks in the bottle. Thanks to saq and csi for all the hard work put into this. I bottled my new world in January and it is seriously improving with time. Going to wait several more months before opening the next.
Congratulations!

Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #1363
marcb
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth

Wow! Good answer Wish I had that sort of set up

How much would the yeast's heat overpower air cooling? I only used heat and a cool basement (supplemented with ice and fan) to limit the yeast on either end. I don't use evaporative / wet cooling because it's difficult to control, but I can't afford much else.

Does this ramp change the ester profile much from a natural rise and artificial hold at temps? Or does it mainly just allow for consistency?
Air cooling works but you have to understand and plan for the thermal mass of the fermenting beer. The last Tripel I did used WLP530 with a large starter. In a temp controlled, air cooled insulated room the ramp was insane. It went from 68-80 in 12 hours in a 65 degree room. This was a 45-50g batch. Now I'm implementing glycol coils....
Old 07-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #1364
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 26

savylemons - congratulations!

Did you modify the recipe or follow it verbatim?

Old 07-22-2013, 04:46 AM   #1365
savylemons
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The only change was that I used 2 lbs of d180 and 1 lb of d45 instead of the syrups recommended. Followed the same fermentation schedule and used quite a bit of 3787 slurry from a dubbel I did instead of doing a stirplate starter. This is the first competition I entered and am surprised I was able to score a 39 and win gold even with the beer being relatively young. For my taste it still seems a little strong which is keeping it from being exceptional bit this seems to be drastically improving with time.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #1366
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I used 3 #'s of D180 for my batch, it under-attenuated just a bit therefore it's slightly sweeter than it should be. It is a damned good beer, and to be honest, as someone who has not yet had a real Westy 12, I think it is awesome. It tastes like a St. Bernardus 12 to me, a beer I can source locally on tap too.

Mine is kegged.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #1367
savylemons
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Me and some friends did a blind taste test of this Westy 12 clone, st bernardus 12.and rochefort 10. The st bernardus and Westy only had about a month in age difference (6-7 months) where the rochefort had over a year on it. The results were the same across the board rochefort being preferred with Westy 12 in a close second and st bernardus coming in 3rd. That was my first time having such a fresh st bernardus and I really didn't enjoy it that much I actually falsely identified it as my clone just because it was so harsh and boozy I just assumed it was my homebrew haha.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #1368
cjalderman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I have a question over the grain bill in CSI's recipe, is the combination of belgian pilsner and 2 row necessary for a true clone? Is there a large flavor difference between that and an all pilsner grain bill?

Old 07-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #1369
CSI
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjalderman View Post
So I have a question over the grain bill in CSI's recipe, is the combination of belgian pilsner and 2 row necessary for a true clone? Is there a large flavor difference between that and an all pilsner grain bill?
Really, really liked this question. It kind of cuts to the goal of making the perfect Westvleteren 12 clone. Here's our opinion so far for whatever its worth.

Belgian Pils tends to be mildly "sweeter" than german or other pils so it seems to match the clone goals better. Reading between the lines I think what you're asking is if the Belgian Pils and Belgian Pale combination is necessary, (both are 2-Row barley so I hope this assumption is correct). This is the same question we have had in formulating the new Westy 12 clone trials for this Fall 2013. Given the most recent taste testing of the Westvleteren 12 import I have a theory that the St. Sixtus brewers are *currently* using only Belgian Pils with single decoction to add that slight toasted breadiness. That's the theory based on recent tasting anyway. Some say Castle and some say Dingeman's. We're not sure (yet). Hopefully we'll have more testing on that later this year also.

I can't wait to begin the next round of trials.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #1370
cjalderman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Really, really liked this question. It kind of cuts to the goal of making the perfect Westvleteren 12 clone. Here's our opinion so far for whatever its worth.

Belgian Pils tends to be mildly "sweeter" than german or other pils so it seems to match the clone goals better. Reading between the lines I think what you're asking is if the Belgian Pils and Belgian Pale combination is necessary, (both are 2-Row barley so I hope this assumption is correct). This is the same question we have had in formulating the new Westy 12 clone trials for this Fall 2013. Given the most recent taste testing of the Westvleteren 12 import I have a theory that the St. Sixtus brewers are *currently* using only Belgian Pils with single decoction to add that slight toasted breadiness. That's the theory based on recent tasting anyway. Some say Castle and some say Dingeman's. We're not sure (yet). Hopefully we'll have more testing on that later this year also.

I can't wait to begin the next round of trials.
Awesome, I was going to try using an all pils base when I brew this next week. I have another quick question about decoction, if we can look at your recipe for a second. How long do you hold your decoctions at boiling? Thanks!

Quick Reply