Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #1271
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

subscribed

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #1272
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

For those in the know, is there any reason that you can think of that would cause this not to carbonate after priming and re-pitching with 1/2 sachet of US-05?

I have tested 2 bottles in the last 18 days and it seems to be going nowhere.

My alcohol on the old world version I brewed in January came in at damn near 12% but I've heard many reports that US-05 is very alcohol tolerant so I'm pretty sure it should have carbed by now.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #1273
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

US-05 is used to make some strong barleywines. IMO the more alcohol using US-05 the more a sort of astringent flavor asserts itself in US-05 beers (just my opinion.) Maybe it will just take more time than 18 days - not usual for this to be the case. In this case, you gave the new dry yeast a little new sugar but probably little else plus a 12% wall of alcohol to climb. I bet in another 2 weeks you will see some progress.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #1274
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 160 Posts

12%. Give it about 2 months. Maybe more. The higher the ABV, the longer to carb.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #1275
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Brewed the Traditional on Saturday with just a couple of minor differences. 2 lbs of D180 and 1 lb of D90 all added at flameout. Only 73% efficiency, but that was decent for the largest grain bill I've had in my BIAB setup. Added just a tad of DME to make up for the efficiency loss and hit my numbers to 1.090.

Pitched alot of yeast from a previous batch @ 63F. It rose to 66F on an active first day. Rose to 70F for day 2. I just moved it out of my basement today so it can start to climb north of 75F. I'll try to hold it in the upper 70's for the next few days until the activity starts to die down. I'm excited!

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III

Old 05-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #1276
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I didn't read this entire thread, but it looks very similar (though not identical) to the recipe on Candi Syrup Inc's Recipes. I am planning on doing this one tomorrow and am referencing your recipe as well.

Running my starter tonight -- probably about 1.5L w/ a pitch each of the WY3787 and WLP530 -- since I have both and they're both a few months old.

[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #1277
wobrien
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 803 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by malweth
I didn't read this entire thread, but it looks very similar (though not identical) to the recipe on Candi Syrup Inc's Recipes. I am planning on doing this one tomorrow and am referencing your recipe as well.

Running my starter tonight -- probably about 1.5L w/ a pitch each of the WY3787 and WLP530 -- since I have both and they're both a few months old.
The guy from Candi Syrup Inc is CSI in this forum. He has done a lot of R&D on this recipe and the recipe on their web site seems to be what people are using, along with Saq's old world recipe.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #1278
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 52

After reading the CSI recipes, both their Duvel and Westy12 recipes recommend racking off primary between 6-7 days and crashing to ~ 50-60F for .5-1 week. Then racking again and cooling further.

Is racking to tertiary necessary, or could I just rack to secondary and step the temps as designed? The time in tertiary is not excessive (no autolysis concerns usually anyway). Is the extra racking just for clearing? I'd like to limit any chances of oxidizing either of these beauties.

Great of CSI to share their experiences/recipes by the way. Keep up the great work!

Primary #1:Spruced Winter Warmer #2: Black Currant Wine
Secondary #1
:Berry Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty
Kegged
: Cascadian Dark Ale
Bottles
: Surly Bender clone, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Russian Imperial Stout, Sparkling Elderflower Wine, Barolo Wine, On Deck: Orange Pale Ale IV, Hidden Lake Nut Brown, 2H IPA III
Oophaga Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #1279
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 10

When the yeast are done, the yeast are done. Some suggest that the byproducts are cleared within 3 days of terminal gravity. That is why commercial breweries wait that three days. Yooper says she can detect a negative correlation if you leave beer on yeast after that. I raise the temps of my beers at the end to make sure the maturation process is complete and when I crash, I CRASH to around 32F to get the yeast and other compounds do drop. Time will drop them but it occurs quicker at colder temps. The limiting factor is particle size. The cold temps is supposed to encourage clumping of 'all the bad stuff' because the smaller particles can take months at room termperature if they don't clump just based on the physics. Or so I've read.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #1280
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbes View Post
After reading the CSI recipes, both their Duvel and Westy12 recipes recommend racking off primary between 6-7 days and crashing to ~ 50-60F for .5-1 week. Then racking again and cooling further.

Is racking to tertiary necessary, or could I just rack to secondary and step the temps as designed? The time in tertiary is not excessive (no autolysis concerns usually anyway). Is the extra racking just for clearing? I'd like to limit any chances of oxidizing either of these beauties.

Great of CSI to share their experiences/recipes by the way. Keep up the great work!
Not strictly necessary. *However* we have found that clearing the ale slowly (50-55F) adds a subtlety to the profile not otherwise achievable.

Quick Reply