Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #1261
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Robbinsdale
Posts: 785
Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by PJoyce85 View Post
Hey everyone,

Been reading this thread quite a bit and am going to be ordering the ingredients for the 017x.

Anyway, I have searched the thread but didn't find much about this. The 017x recipe calls for 30g/gal of candi sugar for bottle conditioning. Has anyone used corn sugar and if so, with what results? If my math is right, 5oz or corn sugar should put me right at about the same addition of sugar in a 5 gallon batch as 150g of candi sugar.

1.0104 for candi and 1.0105 for corn sugar.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to seeing more people's results as they brew this great recipe.
Priming with corn sugar would be 30 grams/gallon candi sugar * (32 pppg candi sugar/46 pppg corn sugar). It's about 21 grams per gallon using corn sugar. That's about the same as 2.2 vol CO2.
__________________
DSmith is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 03:36 AM   #1262
PJoyce85
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
PJoyce85's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mainz
Posts: 601
Liked 144 Times on 88 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith

Priming with corn sugar would be 30 grams/gallon candi sugar * (32 pppg candi sugar/46 pppg corn sugar). It's about 21 grams per gallon using corn sugar. That's about the same as 2.2 vol CO2.
Ah. Ok. I read that corn sugar was 34 pppg.
__________________
PJoyce85 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 PM   #1263
chutracheese
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Stuarts Draft
Posts: 125
Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by PJoyce85 View Post
Hey everyone,

Been reading this thread quite a bit and am going to be ordering the ingredients for the 017x.

Anyway, I have searched the thread but didn't find much about this. The 017x recipe calls for 30g/gal of candi sugar for bottle conditioning. Has anyone used corn sugar and if so, with what results? If my math is right, 5oz or corn sugar should put me right at about the same addition of sugar in a 5 gallon batch as 150g of candi sugar.

1.0104 for candi and 1.0105 for corn sugar.

Thanks for the help and I look forward to seeing more people's results as they brew this great recipe.
I am trying to figure out the same thing. I've read dextrose is 36ppg, not 46 though.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/gravity-priming-sugar-113941/

What carb levels are people aiming for? 2.2ish?

Also, if the beer is sitting at 45 degrees right now, is that the temp I plug into a carb calculator or 68 that it sat at for a few weeks after fermenting?

Going to bottle tonight...responses greatly appreciated.
__________________
chutracheese is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #1264
chutracheese
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Stuarts Draft
Posts: 125
Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default


So to follow up on my own post:
Calculate temperature for bottling based on the highest temperature.
CSI used 30 grams/gallon.
Calculating that for dextrose:
30 grams/gallon candi sugar * (32 pppg candi sugar/36 pppg corn sugar)= 26.6
26.6 x 5g = 133.3g
133.3g = 4.7 oz dextrose
= 2.53 volumes CO2

Is this about right?

__________________
chutracheese is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #1265
mjap52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Amherst
Posts: 181
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default


My results from a competition that took first place in Belgian Strong Ales with a 40

This beer was submitted 4 months from brew day.

Judge 1 was certified. Judge 2 was recognized.

Aroma:
Judge 1: Pepper sweet malt. Could use more nose. This is supposed to be "compley malt sweetness" whereas that, in this, is soft and places round fruit, hint of plum way back. (Handwriting was poor, tried as best I could). 7/12
Judge 2" Esters, phenols with much carmel soft alcohol, raisin/plum 10/12

Appearance:
Judge 1: Mostly clear, almost 40 srm. Too dark for style, book says up to 22. 2/3
Judge 2: Deep coppery. Nice tan head. Clear. 3/3

Flavor:
Judge 1: Nice raisiny, moderately malty on the tonge and roof of mouth. Belgian abbey yeast sense but not over bearing. Lightly bitter. Flavors blend very well. It is complex as required. 18/20
Judge 2: Complex blend of malt with esters, phenols. Sweet up front finishing semi sweet. Alcohol in taste, not hot. 16/20

Mouthfeel:
Judge 1: Not highly carbonated in mouthfeel. Some ABV warmth. Balanced. Tad of W/ malt nice but yeast funk that belgian Abbey yeast snense aromatic (bad hand writing, again). 4/5
Judge 2: Medium body & carbonation. No astringency. 5/5

Overall Impression:
Judge 1: Reminds me, just a little, of Omegang. This has most of what is needed, though there are some balance issues:slight. I would recommend this beer to anyone though, very tasty.8/10
Judge 2: Very good beer to style. Will get better with age. 7/10

Judge 1: 39/50
Judge 2: 41/50

I used Sac's Traditional double decoction recipe. Mash temp was 1 degree low on the first decoction and 3 degrees low on the second. Pitched 2 days after brew day with a 6 liter starter (no stir plate). Fermentation got up to 79* and it finished at 1.011. Bottle conditioned using 1/2 pack of US 05 and priming sugar. Candi sugar was half CSI's and half homemade.
__________________

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

mjap52 is offline  
orangehero Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #1266
DSmith
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Robbinsdale
Posts: 785
Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by chutracheese View Post
So to follow up on my own post:
Calculate temperature for bottling based on the highest temperature.
CSI used 30 grams/gallon.
Calculating that for dextrose:
30 grams/gallon candi sugar * (32 pppg candi sugar/36 pppg corn sugar)= 26.6
26.6 x 5g = 133.3g
133.3g = 4.7 oz dextrose
= 2.53 volumes CO2

Is this about right?
I've never questioned ProMash's database showing corn sugar at 46 pppg but it looks like there's data to support 36 pppg. I've converted a Dubbel recipe 3 weeks ago that called for candi sugar for priming to corn sugar (using the 32 pppg/46 pppg ratio) and the carbonation seems fine. If corn sugar is really 36 pppg then I guess it's slightly underprimed.

EDIT:
What's very interesting is that CO2 calculators give the same results for corn sugar but different results for sucrose - and sucrose is probably well accepted to be 46 pppg. I've compared the following:
ProMash CO2 built-in calculator
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/brew/widgets/bp.html
http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
__________________
DSmith is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #1267
ultravista
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,939
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default


Looking for feedback ...

I have room in my kegorator for three cornies and no place to store a finished beer under 75 degrees (ambient temp in a closet).

One Westy is in the kegerator and I have the grains, hops, and yeast to brew another.

Since I cannot "lager" it less than 75 degrees, would it be detrimental if I stored it in the closet, kegged of course, at room temperature for a few months?

While it won't get hot, it will not go below 70 something in the dark recesses of our walk-in closet.

Your thoughts?

__________________
ultravista is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #1268
Sheldon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: woodbridge, va
Posts: 1,161
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default my westy 12


Brewed 5.5 gal yesterday. Hit OG of 1.091. Set up blow off tube and fermenter into a large plastic container. This morning I find a good layer of liquid on the bottom of big container and wort running down the side of the fermenter. Good thing I didn't leave bucket sitting on carpeted basaement floor.

__________________
Sheldon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #1269
sfrisby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
 
sfrisby's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,662
Liked 234 Times on 160 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista
Looking for feedback ...

I have room in my kegorator for three cornies and no place to store a finished beer under 75 degrees (ambient temp in a closet).

One Westy is in the kegerator and I have the grains, hops, and yeast to brew another.

Since I cannot "lager" it less than 75 degrees, would it be detrimental if I stored it in the closet, kegged of course, at room temperature for a few months?

While it won't get hot, it will not go below 70 something in the dark recesses of our walk-in closet.

Your thoughts?
Once fermentation is completely finished, I don't feel aging in low 70's will affect the flavor. I do that a lot for my big beers that need more time and run out of space in the fermentor.
__________________
sfrisby is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #1270
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ColoHox's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 1,166
Liked 146 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Default


I made sac's new world recipe. It has been in secondary now for ~3 months and hasn't budged past 1.022 (from 1.100). I would like to bottle in the next few weeks but not quite sure the best approach. I am not sure if the FG is high because my slightly higher mash temp or if the yeast is just pooped out and there are fermentables left in there. Should I:

Make a fresh starter of abbey yeast and repitch with corn sugar for ~3vols
Rehydrate EC-118 and pitch with less corn sugar, or maybe no sugar
Keg and force carb

TIA for your thoughts, this thread is great.

__________________

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

ColoHox is online now  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy Westvleteren in BE Vels Commercial Brew Discussion 13 06-05-2013 07:58 PM
All-Grain - Westvleteren 12 clone Displaced MassHole Belgian Strong Ale 40 05-13-2013 12:34 PM
All-Grain - Westvleteren Abt 12 billtzk Recipes/Ingredients 10 11-04-2008 04:14 PM
Westvleteren Trappist uwjester Commercial Brew Discussion 1 11-29-2007 06:15 PM
Trappist Westvleteren 12 Torchiest Commercial Brew Discussion 3 02-01-2007 11:15 PM