Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #1191
jeetaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

CSI, am I reading something wrong or did you lower the Candi Syrup from 3lbs. to 2lbs?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #1192
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaman
I am new to brewing so changing stuff up makes me worry that I will screw something up. If I brew a half batch and sub in additional DME how much should I use? And is there an argument for using DME over LME?
I find DME to be better in most ways, more fermentable (critical to this recipe) and not as subject to spoilage. If you used 5 lbs of Pilsen DME it would give you about 1.040. You could then make up the difference with the grain bill that your system will handle. It will be pretty foolproof, if you decide you want to do it I could easily put together a partial mash recipe for you.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #1193
jeetaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh man, that would be so awesome! Thank you so much for helping me with this. I have only done 2 LME brews so I think I am a little out of my league trying to jump straight into this beer.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #1194
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaman
Oh man, that would be so awesome! Thank you so much for helping me with this. I have only done 2 LME brews so I think I am a little out of my league trying to jump straight into this beer.
I don't think it's out of your league if you omit the decoction mash. What is your setup like?

Old 03-02-2013, 06:04 AM   #1195
jeetaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a 6 gallon brew pot. 2 - 6 gallon buckets (1 has a spigot for bottling). And a 5 gallon carboy. I was goin to use this recipe as an excuse to get a mash tun.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #1196
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeetaman View Post
CSI, am I reading something wrong or did you lower the Candi Syrup from 3lbs. to 2lbs?
Yes, we did. 2lbs D-180 replicates the SRM and flavors acceptably. A lighter syrup could be used to add the adjunct percentile back in if preferred, (Golden, Simplicity). The flavors of D-180 permeated so well even through aging that we gave an adjunct reduction a try and it appears to be working out well.

Later this year we'll also compose a Westy 12 clone with a two stage decoction using only Pils, (we use Dingeman's over Castle). We'll be formulating based on what our taste tests hinted at a change in the original St. Sixtus Westvleteren 12 grain bill. Anyway, we could be wrong about this but a trial will help us prove it out. Since this is a notable variation and with Saq's permission we may open this up to a number of brew partners to test.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #1197
dlaney
Recipes 

Just brewed up a 3.5 gallon new world. Did half the grain bill as minimash and the rest as LME due to limited equipment. Batched sparged by ladling mash out of pot into strainer over second pot. My efficiency was crazy and I still don't really believe the numbers but definitely over 80 percent. Made my own candy syrup.

My question: when does it typically self rise to 80 degrees? Before, during, or after high krausen? My fermenter is in a water bath with an aquarium heater so I'd like to get an idea of when to ramp up the temp as the thing has had a pretty constant temp so far

Thanks

Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #1198
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 63 Posts

If you have it in water you may not see it rise due to the insulation/heat sink the water is providing.

As I understand it, and as happened with me, day 2-3 is the peak of activity and the temp peak is shortly thereafter... So; day 3. YMMV.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #1199
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii
If you have it in water you may not see it rise due to the insulation/heat sink the water is providing.

As I understand it, and as happened with me, day 2-3 is the peak of activity and the temp peak is shortly thereafter... So; day 3. YMMV.
I think after that point you'll want to start ramping her up.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:36 PM   #1200
jeetaman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here may be a dumb question. I have never had a Westy - 12, but is it close to La Trappe - Koningshoeven?

Quick Reply