Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #1111
g-star
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmerchant
I haven't found that pitching numbers greatly affect my FG, but it majorly affects my esters etc. With Belgians, I get the best flavour profile when i somewhat under-pitch. Pitching the litres of starter that MrMalty suggests tends to result in beer that is too clean (low esters etc) for my liking.
I get the best ester character pitching just about what Mr. Malty recommends, and holding the bulk of fermentation in the low 70's. This beer gets too hot/phenolic under-pitching and running it up into the 80's, IMO.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #1112
sockmerchant
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Individual results will vary of course. For me, pitching mr malty numbers are way too clean for dark strongs. That may be appropriate for some belgian styles, but not for others. My best results are from pitching a bit low (not way under) and keeping it at 18C for the first half of fermentation, then bumping it up to get a low finish

Bottled:Belgian strong ale with brett, Belgian strong ale, Belg Amber, Belg blonde, Belg dark Strong, Belg not-wit, Belg tripel, berry blonde, belg stout, coffee dubbel, chili APA, APA, Belgian Dubbel, Rye (Brett) Saison

Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #1113
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-star View Post
I get the best ester character pitching just about what Mr. Malty recommends, and holding the bulk of fermentation in the low 70's. This beer gets too hot/phenolic under-pitching and running it up into the 80's, IMO.
Last time I had a Rochfort 12 I still felt 'drugged' the next day and wondered if something like this played a part in it. I've been starting all my ales low with a good yeast pitch. Not quite 'lager' but then ramping up 5 degrees at a time depending on how my hydrometer sample is reading.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #1114
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Layne - mine too stopped @ 1.020; however, my starting gravity was three points higher @ 1.094.

I pitched a 1.5L starter, potentially not enough. Fermentation was fast and furious but nonetheless, it stopped short of target.

It tastes great too, not overly sweet as you might expect. Tomorrow will be 5 weeks since brew day. It's sitting in the keezer @ 40f "aging" under gas. I'll taste it this weekend and without a doubt, I am very anxious to do so.

For the next batch, which I have the grains & syrup for, I'll go with a higher starter. I found a new Pyrex Erlenmeyer 4L flask on eBay for $45 shipped. It's huge next to the puny 2L flask I've been using. The 4L will be for the extreme brews such as the Chimay Red that's on-deck.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #1115
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 63 Posts

Does boozy-ness age out?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #1116
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii
Does boozy-ness age out?
Generally, yes!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #1117
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Wow, after a week under gas, and still very under carbonated, it really tastes great. This is going to be awesome carbed & aged.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #1118
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskii View Post
Does boozy-ness age out?
Yes, very much so in darker ales.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #1119
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmerchant View Post
individual results will vary of course. For me, pitching mr malty numbers are way too clean for dark strongs. That may be appropriate for some belgian styles, but not for others. My best results are from pitching a bit low (not way under) and keeping it at 18c for the first half of fermentation, then bumping it up to get a low finish
+1 on approach.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #1120
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm on week 3 in bottles (natural carb) and it's still very under carbed. :/

I repitched with .5 pack of US 05 and added 5.5 oz priming sugar. My top fermentation temp was 79 so I think that should work out to a 3.2 carb level, but alas, no carb yet.

It's been conditioning in my room, which is about 68F, so I think that may be the problem. From what I understand, bottle conditioning should be done around 72-73 degrees.

I'm thinking of picking up a space heater and aiming it at them. Any input?

I also purged the head space of the bottles with CO2 from my beer gun (I used kegs as my "bottling bucket" since I never bought a bottling bucket.

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Quick Reply