Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Multiple - The Pious - Westvleteren 12 style quad - multiple

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 10:31 PM   #91
saq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

There is no table sugar in this beer or any variants posted in here and it is not mentioned anywhere in this thread. What is in this beer is dark candi syrup, 3lbs of it. Without the dark candi syrup you are not making anything approaching a Belgian Quadrupel, much less this particular beer.
Its like trying to make an Imperial IPA but taking out the hops, its just not going to work.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #92
victorzamora
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the clarification, but yeah...that's what I meant. I just said it that way for clarification. Sorry for the confusion and for my confusion.

Now the question is about the schedule. Originally, you said one pound every once in a while. Later you said three pounds right after I turn the heat off. Which one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 01:11 AM   #93
AN_TKE
Recipes 

I brewed this two weeks ago and had it wrapped in a space blanket during fermentation. The temp got 80+ and then naturally cooled as fermentation petered out. I tested SG today and got 1.042. I plan to put it next to the baseboard with the space blanket over the heater and the fermenter to heat the sucker up again. I am wondering why I wouldn;t have lower SG if I kept it warm - worried I'm stuck too high. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Any suggestions - seen this before? If I have to repitch, I would probably siphon out some yeast from the bottom, restart and then pitch - would that be a good idea?

Thanks.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #94
DerBraumeister
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the recipes. Ill be getting myself an aquarium heater to try the old world version out.

Any suggestions for recipes to built up yeast for this beast?

Have you looked into the Westvleteren Blonde?

Regards

Old 11-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #95
saq
Recipes 

Get a stir plate and make a 2-3 liter starter. I did a new batch last weekend and did a 1.6 liter starter to try and get some more ester development.
I had the Westvleteren Blonde last week when I was in Belgium and it was pretty good but not really my thing. I have two bottles that I'll probably crack open before too long but I prefer the more traditional Belgian blonde like the Achel 8.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #96
victorzamora
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just put it in the fermenter, but I only got an OG of 1.082. Would adding a little sugar do....or what?

Last edited by victorzamora; 11-06-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #97
rtt121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

saq I just want to say thanks for working so hard on this recipe. I just tapped mine and it is truly great. The second batch just moved wayyy up to the brew que.

FWIW I went the all grain route. I use 2 x D2 AND 1x D1, because thats what was available. My primary never got above 74 so I put it in my ferm chamber and let finish at 81. It was about 5 days in when I moved it and the gravity was half way there.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #98
MilwaukeeBrewGuy
Recipes 

just curious what the aroma is like on this? I brewed this as a small 8 (1.062) and added about 1/2 lb. of aromatic malt. It is on the gas and about 1/2 way carbed. It cold conditioned for a long time. 5 -6 months or so.

I am trying to determine how good it is relative to yours. It tastes pretty clean up front with some funk in the middle (phenols I am guessing) with a good dry but slightly sweet finish. The aroma is not the most appealing, just a bit different. Does any of this sound close?

Saq, maybe I can send you a bottle when it gets carbed up and you can try it and see if it is close.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #99
saq
Recipes 

The aroma is rich and full of dark stone fruit (fig, date), some plum, burnt banana, cocoa, burnt sugar somewhat reminiscent of creme brulee, and belgian esters.
Lower gravity versions are going to have a less pronounced aroma but should be pretty similar.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #100
meadowstream
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 34

MilwaukeeBrewGuy, all the high gravity belgians that I have brewed seem to take 6-12 weeks to get the "right" flavor. These are hot to begin with, but the flavors also largely come from the yeast itself and these yeast typically take a while to bed down and reabsorb some of the molecules that contribute to off flavors (or at least that is the way I think of it!) I bet that after a few weeks your beer will be close to the way you want it and the way saq describes it.

Quick Reply