Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Pink Elephant (Delirium Tremens clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2013, 01:47 AM   #291
stevepp8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp
Ingredients
-----------
Beet Sugar 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
Pilsener (Belgian) 6.50 lb, Grain, Mashed

Styrian Golding 0.75 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Saaz 0.50 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes

Coriander Seed 7.20 grams, Spice, 10 min
Ginger 2.40 grams, Spice, 10 min
Paradise 2.40 grams, Spice, 10 min

Notes
-----
Recipe is from a Belgian who supposedly knew the brewmaster at Huyghe.

10 min @ 125F mash-in, 45 min @ 144F, 30 min @ 158F, 172F mashout. I'm frankly skeptical of the effectiveness of this mash schedule, but hey, it's how Huyghe does it, I'm told. 90 minute boil. 7 day ferment (pitch both yeasts), starting at 67F and allowed to rise as yeast desired. 14 day lager at 30F, followed by a 21 day warm bottle condition at 76F.
Is it paradise seed? And ground ginger

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #292
Bock_Lesnar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepp8 View Post

Is it paradise seed? And ground ginger
The rest of this thread covers that - grains of paradise and fresh grated ginger

Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #293
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I found in my stock of bottle a delirium brewed from this recipe. It was 14 months old. OMG it was great, better than it was when it was 6 months old.
It was a complete surprise because most of my blonde beers didn't pass the taste test after a year. This one was even better than the original. I had a couple more bottles and after tasting the first one I rushed to the liquor store to get the original to compare.

I used to complain about this recipe that i didn't reach the same level of spiciness than the original but the bottle I opened tonight was way better than the real thing.

So the true lesson here is be patient. I don't know when it went awesome because I didn't drink any for 6 to 7 months or so and it was close to the real thing but was lacking in spiciness. I'm still in shock at how good this beer was after all this time.

3940L brewed since August 2011.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:08 AM   #294
Bock_Lesnar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akavango View Post
I found in my stock of bottle a delirium brewed from this recipe. It was 14 months old. OMG it was great, better than it was when it was 6 months old.
It was a complete surprise because most of my blonde beers didn't pass the taste test after a year. This one was even better than the original. I had a couple more bottles and after tasting the first one I rushed to the liquor store to get the original to compare.

I used to complain about this recipe that i didn't reach the same level of spiciness than the original but the bottle I opened tonight was way better than the real thing.

So the true lesson here is be patient. I don't know when it went awesome because I didn't drink any for 6 to 7 months or so and it was close to the real thing but was lacking in spiciness. I'm still in shock at how good this beer was after all this time.
Glad to hear this. I was planning on kegging this, but I guess I might bottle instead so I can hold onto some of it. Where do you store your beers? Do you have a gigantic cold room, or was it stored at room temps?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #295
Akavango
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I store them all at room temp but being in Ireland, it is never really hot.

3940L brewed since August 2011.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #296
Bock_Lesnar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akavango View Post
I store them all at room temp but being in Ireland, it is never really hot.
I'm in New Zealand so I guess much of a muchnees, right?

Old 08-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #297
TheWitGuy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Ingredients
-----------
Beet Sugar 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
Pilsener (Belgian) 6.50 lb, Grain, Mashed

Styrian Golding 0.75 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Saaz 0.50 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes

Coriander Seed 7.20 grams, Spice, 10 min
Ginger 2.40 grams, Spice, 10 min
Paradise 2.40 grams, Spice, 10 min

Notes
-----
Recipe is from a Belgian who supposedly knew the brewmaster at Huyghe.

10 min @ 125F mash-in, 45 min @ 144F, 30 min @ 158F, 172F mashout. I'm frankly skeptical of the effectiveness of this mash schedule, but hey, it's how Huyghe does it, I'm told. 90 minute boil. 7 day ferment (pitch both yeasts), starting at 67F and allowed to rise as yeast desired. 14 day lager at 30F, followed by a 21 day warm bottle condition at 76F.
Any chance you could clarify what were the water volumes?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #298
cheesemoney
Recipes 

I brewed this over the weekend with adjustments to get 6 gallons post boil (BIAB) and ended up with 5.75 gallons transferred into the no-chill cube.

I was withholding the table sugar for the fermenter and still managed to hit 1.075 OG post boil (sugarless). The scaled recipe calls for 2.3lbs of table sugar which at 5.75 gallons will contribute something like .018 gravity points which gets me a calculated OG of 1.093!!!!!

Did I goof? May need to water it down as much as possible when I add the boiled sugar (maybe toss in a handful of hops to the boil). Thoughts? Should I cut down the amount of table sugar?

My BIAB efficiency has been ridiculously high.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #299
Kee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Great thread. I brewed a 5 gallon batch. Used only the WL570 yeast and did not have the ginger root, but tried to follow the original recipe otherwise. My new mash tun was not pre-heated enough, temp drift mid to low 140's. OG way low (1.06). FG 1.003. Result: drier than delirium but very tasty. I will do this again (and maybe again).

Old 11-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #300
mjackson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Question? Probably a stupid question. I have never brewed a beer that called for sugar in the grain bill. Is the sugar added to the boil and is the a special process or is it cut measure and pour?

Quick Reply