Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Pink Elephant (Delirium Tremens clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #21
klamz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Ingredients
-----------
Beet Sugar 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
Pilsener (Belgian) 6.50 lb, Grain, Mashed

Styrian Golding 0.75 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Saaz 0.50 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes

Coriander Seed 7.20 grams, Spice, 10 min
Ginger 2.40 grams, Spice, 10 min
Paradise 2.40 grams, Spice, 10 min

Notes
-----
Recipe is from a Belgian who supposedly knew the brewmaster at Huyghe.

10 min @ 125F mash-in, 45 min @ 144F, 30 min @ 158F, 172F mashout. I'm frankly skeptical of the effectiveness of this mash schedule, but hey, it's how Huyghe does it, I'm told. 90 minute boil. 7 day ferment (pitch both yeasts), starting at 67F and allowed to rise as yeast desired. 14 day lager at 30F, followed by a 21 day warm bottle condition at 76F.
Just curious,

How did you accomplish this mash schedule with a cooler? what was your qt/lb ratio to start and did you batch or fly sparge the rest of the water after mashout?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #22
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamz View Post
Just curious,

How did you accomplish this mash schedule with a cooler? what was your qt/lb ratio to start and did you batch or fly sparge the rest of the water after mashout?

Thanks
Started with a 1:1 and stepped with boiling water additions. I had a VERY full 5 gal cooler after mashout at around 2.6:1. Batch sparged to desired pre-boil after dumping the 1st runnings.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
klamz
Recipes 

I made this recipe last weekend and i just transferred to secondary today. I must have done something wrong because when I tasted a sample it tasted like rotten eggs. I pitched both yeasts after i brought the temp down to 68 and it remained at 68 for a solid 7 days. I have a fridge with a digital thermostat so I shouldnt have a problem in that department. Fermentation began about 12hours after pitching which isn’t bad right?? OG was 1.065 and final 1.004.......Color is great! but that’s about it. I did the 90 min boil and got exactly 3 gallons. Pre-boil tasted amazing and after the boil as well. Any ideas? Does it need time in secondary for that foul taste to clear up? Only thing that is obvious is that i got a low efficiency of 1.065 but that shouldnt matter for my situation.

Old 07-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #24
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamz View Post
I made this recipe last weekend and i just transferred to secondary today. I must have done something wrong because when I tasted a sample it tasted like rotten eggs. I pitched both yeasts after i brought the temp down to 68 and it remained at 68 for a solid 7 days. I have a fridge with a digital thermostat so I shouldnt have a problem in that department. Fermentation began about 12hours after pitching which isn’t bad right?? OG was 1.065 and final 1.004.......Color is great! but that’s about it. I did the 90 min boil and got exactly 3 gallons. Pre-boil tasted amazing and after the boil as well. Any ideas? Does it need time in secondary for that foul taste to clear up? Only thing that is obvious is that i got a low efficiency of 1.065 but that shouldnt matter for my situation.
You done many Belgians klamz? Stink is part of the deal. I wouldn't give up yet. Secondary and wait a bit.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #25
klamz
Recipes 

No, this is my first Belgian. It's not the smell that frightens me it's the taste. Tastes so funky it almost seems like it could never recover from it even after waiting so long in the secondary. Then again I did take a sample from the bottom 1 inch from the trub! LOL. I'll see how it is in the next 2 weeks. it's chilling at 39F. When you pitched your yeasts did you use the whole 11.5grams of the S-04. Could I have over pitched? is that ever a bad thing?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #26
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah, I pitch the whole S-04 packet. Really REALLY tough to over-pitch a beer. Wait it out. Sulphur taste/smell conditions out relatively quickly.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 AM   #27
theganda
Recipes 

Out of curiosity, how would this turn out if I skipped the lagering step? I don't know if I could maintain that temp for that long because all I have is a fridge, not a devoted lagering setup. Also, is the ginger just grated fresh ginger and did you buy the coriander at a HBS or at the supermarket? Recipe looks awesome!

Old 07-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #28
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theganda View Post
Out of curiosity, how would this turn out if I skipped the lagering step? I don't know if I could maintain that temp for that long because all I have is a fridge, not a devoted lagering setup. Also, is the ginger just grated fresh ginger and did you buy the coriander at a HBS or at the supermarket? Recipe looks awesome!
I used fresh grated ginger and coarsely ground whole coriander. If you can't get the beer to 32, I'd at least get it as cold as possible (basement maybe) for a few weeks.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #29
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theganda View Post
Same here... fresh ginger... quarter size.
whole coriander seeds are from Kroger's, but I found it to be cheaper at mexican or chinese market.

Happy Brewing

Old 08-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #30
klamz
Recipes 

Ahhh i used dry ginger and i didnt crush my Seeds!! but i think it came out great yet still has a slightly strong sulfuricness to it which seems to be improving with time. Only problem is that I have chill haze....Not sure what I did wrong to get the haze. Any ideas??? I cooled pretty quickly.......

Quick Reply