Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Pink Elephant (Delirium Tremens clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #281
tmm0f5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewed this back in February. Just had my final bottle..... Oh geez, why didn't I save them all for 10 months of aging. This is freaking amazing!

I'm going to have to brew this again, bottle them and simply "forget" about them. So so good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #282
Nubster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Getting ready to try this. Maybe tonight. For those that get yeast samples from actual bottles of DT, or any other beer for that matter, what's the process? Just save the last inch or so of beer and make a starter from that?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #283
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricocoron View Post
Use WLP570 (the Duvel strain) if you pitch enough healthy yeast I cannot imagine you will not gain a Belgian flavor profile. Use a pitching calculator.

Hughye bottle conditions with a different strain of yeast than the primary strain. Nearly all Belgian breweries do this. There is always going to be some of the primary strain left in the bottle though.

Are you adding the Aromatic, Biscuit, and Munich? This should be enough and it's really on the darker side of a 'blonde' already so I wouldn't add any more. Boiling longer and more vigorously could aid color development. Or you could take your sugar and make a darker syrup by heating it up and using an acid.
This was the one that I did and seemed to be more spot on in terms of color and flavor. http://hopville.com/recipe/488832
I used Lyle's golden syrup for the invert sugar

Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #284
Jimothy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good stuff!

Old 06-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #285
Fulcanelli
Recipes 

Just bottled it last friday, the flavor and aroma are amazing!

Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #286
jdm88
Recipes 

I brewed this a couple weeks ago. It is currently cold conditioning in the fridge.

My question is: if I only keep it in the fridge for 1.5 weeks instead of 2 will it make a difference?

I am having a party on Sunday and need the room in the fridge, I would like to get the beer out on Wednesday so I can start stocking up.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #287
tmm0f5
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It'll probably be fine. Mine cleared up quite a bit after a week. I'm sure it'll be okay, maybe a bit yeasty but that'll clear after bottle conditioning for a few weeks.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #288
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I just had a DT a couple of weeks ago, and as I study more about beer characteristics, I couldn't believe the overwhelming bubblegum flavor once the beer came to proper temperature. I have always loved DT, but this realization just kind of ruined it for me. Funny, getting more educated changed my appreciation for the worse!

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 06-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #289
Bock_Lesnar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone used Wyeast Belgian Ardennes yeast with this beer? It was the only Belgian yeast my LHBS had in stock. Having read the descriptions it seems to suit what I'm after, but I may be missing something. Thoughts?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #290
Bock_Lesnar
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And another quick thing - if you have brewed this, did you use a blow off tube or was the airlock enough?

The only other Belgian I've made used the 3787 Trappist yeast and that pretty much painted the inside of my fermentation chamber with an airlock.

Quick Reply