Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Pink Elephant (Delirium Tremens clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #271
demagxc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I bottled this last week and just opened a bottle "to test carbonation" and its fantastic. I dont have a bottle of the real thing in front of me to compare just yet but regardless of how close it really is this is a fantastic clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #272
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Making this tomorrow with Wyeast 1388 as my only yeast. Hoping it's great.

"If you're here for the premature ejaculators meeting, you've come too soon."

Old 07-26-2012, 03:26 AM   #273
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm not sure what's going on, but this beer tastes the same as my last time making it (IOW, not at all like Delirium Tremens). It's very good, but lacks any noticeable Belgian character. I used Wyeast 1388 fermented at 74 degrees.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #274
opteek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It's because of the yeast used. The BIG thing in getting that DT flavor is to actually use the DT yeast from the bottle. I cultured it from the dregs of two bottles when I made mine and also added S-04 and the flavor was very much spot on. Even the yeast starter had a distinctly DT flavor to it.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #275
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I guess I'll have to give that a try next time, because nothing else has worked for me.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #276
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I went through a handful of pages on this thread and didn't see anything mentioned so I'll ask: Did you ever enter this into the competition you were planning.
I might have to schedule this as my next brew, I love this beer!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #277
enricocoron
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I entered in the local NHC San Diego qualifier and took Silver, but its different than the OPs version. For instance the WLP570 alone is a fantastic beer. 570 is from the Moortgat brewery (Duvel) and its going to give you a very similar flavor profile to DT. The problem with culturing yeast from a bottle out is that Belgian breweries often employ a second or even third yeast strain for bottle conditioning than those used in primary or secondary fermentation. You may not end up with anything close to the pure primary yeast strain. I feel the best option is to use a pure strain such as the one from White labs. I would hazard a guess that these yeasts from Hughye, Westmalle, Moortgat, Van Steenberge etc. all originated from a common ancestor.

Also, having been to Hughye last month, and several other breweries, a common thread was:

1) 75 minute boil to minimize color reactions, DMS was gone by then
2) no candi syrup or rocks in light colored beers....table sugar only
3) minimal specialty grains, mostly Pilsener
4) no spices, all yeast derived

There was a high temp finish on the golden ales and a significant lagering period but often the lagering was off the yeast cake with a fresh dose of yeast and a 'small' amount of additional sugar (pre bottle).

Old 08-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #278
LakewoodHomeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Kicking an old thread - thanks for the recipe. Brewed this yesterday and I'm pretty excited about it. Brew day went well and I have 5 gallons 'no-chilling' in the basement. I'll pitch today with a mix of 1388 and harvested DT yeast. I've got starters of both ready to go! Cheers.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:30 AM   #279
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brew this fairly often and love it but as I sit her with a DT in hand I notice that the real deal is considerably darker than my version. Thoughts?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #280
enricocoron
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmcgee View Post
I'm not sure what's going on, but this beer tastes the same as my last time making it (IOW, not at all like Delirium Tremens). It's very good, but lacks any noticeable Belgian character. I used Wyeast 1388 fermented at 74 degrees.
Use WLP570 (the Duvel strain) if you pitch enough healthy yeast I cannot imagine you will not gain a Belgian flavor profile. Use a pitching calculator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opteek View Post
It's because of the yeast used. The BIG thing in getting that DT flavor is to actually use the DT yeast from the bottle. I cultured it from the dregs of two bottles when I made mine and also added S-04 and the flavor was very much spot on. Even the yeast starter had a distinctly DT flavor to it.
Hughye bottle conditions with a different strain of yeast than the primary strain. Nearly all Belgian breweries do this. There is always going to be some of the primary strain left in the bottle though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I brew this fairly often and love it but as I sit her with a DT in hand I notice that the real deal is considerably darker than my version. Thoughts?
Are you adding the Aromatic, Biscuit, and Munich? This should be enough and it's really on the darker side of a 'blonde' already so I wouldn't add any more. Boiling longer and more vigorously could aid color development. Or you could take your sugar and make a darker syrup by heating it up and using an acid.

Quick Reply