Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Pink Elephant (Delirium Tremens clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #191
ChillWill
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Got this on the boil now!

Only changes are:

-Used Hallertau (3.1%) instead of styrian as that's what I had
-No grains of paradise, so just gone with corriander seed & ginger
-My mash went 20@130F, 45@144F, 30@158F
-Will be using cultured DT yeast (smells pretty good, if that fails I've got some washed WLP550 in backup).
-Using clear Belgian candi sugar

When do you add the sugar? I assume in the last 10mins or so? Or are people adding it after the initial fermentation is done to get more attenuation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #192
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I add sugar the last 15 when I add my irish moss.

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #193
ChillWill
Recipes 

Thanks Jkarp.

Somehow I've managed an OG of 1.080 and I NEVER overshoot gravity targets (well, I think I did once, by 2 pts). I wonder if that mash schedule (never done one like that before) did it.

I looked at some lecture slides from a workshop I attended at a local university (the brewery I work for sent me) and extraction efficiency rises with temperature while fermentability of sugars decreases.

I kind of knew that, but didn't realise it was to that extent:

Mash Temp: 50degC/122F Extract Yield: 73% Fermentability: 89%
Mash Temp: 55degC/131F Extract Yield: 89% Fermentability: 93%
Mash Temp: 60degC/140F Extract Yield: 96% Fermentability: 86%
Mash Temp: 65degC/149F Extract Yield: 98% Fermentability: 80%
Mash Temp: 70degC/158F Extract Yield: 99.5% Fermentability: 66%

As a side note, we were running a batch of larger malt at the same time as the lecture on 40l system, so not sure if that only relates to that (being fairly un-modified in comparison to pale malts). I think I'm going to be playing around with different steps in my mashes more often (including possibly a hefe decoction next on the list!).

Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #194
Amanofbeer
Recipes 

How much does the timing of the sugar addition affect attenuation and why? Belgian candi sugar is just invert sugar, right?

I plan to do this one again soon. my first attempt which was about 9 months ago went ok but i got some serious bubble gum esters...any clue why? Also, as it aged,it developed a metalic flavor. not sure wht that was about either.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #195
ChillWill
Recipes 

Metallic is often oxidation?

The longer you boil the sugar, the more it will caramalise. I think the candi sugar is invert, probably easy to make, but easier to buy

Edit: Apparently if you add sugar, the yeast will go for the simple sugars first as it's 'lazy', and might not get through as much of the longer chain sugars as it would if the sugar wasn't there. So by adding sugar after the initial bulk of fermentation is done of the sugars from the malt, you get better attenuation. I'm not sure if this is scientifically proven or not.

Add sugars for a long time in the boil and it'll caramalise more so won't be fermentable (like the sugar from crystal malt).

In this case, you're probably better off doing a multi step mash, pitching a good amount of yeast, ramping temp before worrying too much about when you add the sugar.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #196
ChillWill
Recipes 

For the people using cultured DT yeast:

How long does the beer take to clear? Mine is 7 days into fermentation and still hazy/cloudy as hell. Does DT yeast floc well? My only real experience of Belgian yeast is wlp550 and that drops crystal clear.

I can get finings from work if it doesn't clear. Gonna let it ride for another week in the primary; got it near a radiator now (wrapped in a towel) to keep it in the 70's as it was in the mid 60's in my ferm chamber

Old 12-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #197
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The real DT is nearly never clear, unless you've got a really old bottle. Fresh off the tap in Belgium, it's cloudy.

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #198
ChillWill
Recipes 

Well I'll be!

My water is a bit calcium deficient as well which doesn't help.

I'll give it time, then hit it with some finings. I like it clear as the real deal is an awesome colour when clear with all the carbonation in it, almost champagne.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #199
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I just made a 10.5 gallon batch today. I split a 2L starter during active fermentation into two 5-gal buckets. I also split a single S-04 package and pitched it dry. I cooled the wort to 64 and will let it warm up to desired temperature. My question is, what is the desired fermentation temp? I have it in my furnace room and I don't want to let it get TOO hot. I see that bmason's batch got warm and didn't taste too great.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #200
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmcgee
I just made a 10.5 gallon batch today. I split a 2L starter during active fermentation into two 5-gal buckets. I also split a single S-04 package and pitched it dry. I cooled the wort to 64 and will let it warm up to desired temperature. My question is, what is the desired fermentation temp? I have it in my furnace room and I don't want to let it get TOO hot. I see that bmason's batch got warm and didn't taste too great.
I would not let it rise beyond 75F if I were you. So maybe an ambient temperature of 66-70F might be ideal. I also think that splitting the s04 was a good idea. My version came out way too malty. What other yeast did you pitch?

Chicago Homebrewer's Yeast Bank Project

Chicago Home Brewers Group

Chicago Home Brewers Group Forum

Chicago Home Brewers Group Facebook Page

Quick Reply