Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Pink Elephant (Delirium Tremens clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #181
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I like the Cooper's Drops better than the Munton's Carb Tabs, though I suspect you're talking about Drops because 2 per bomber would be right - it's more like 8-10 of the Munton's Tabs per bottle.

Many Bothans died to bring you this information.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #182
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yup, using Coopers. Foresee any carbing problems after the beer lagers for two weeks? Got an Imp Stout that still aren't fully carbed after almost three months and that wasn't even cold crashed. It was around 9%.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #183
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I don't bottle condition anymore but when I did I used Cooper's Drops exclusively. Never had one fail to carbonate, even after a month or more of lagering.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:01 PM   #184
enricocoron
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I had two regular 22 oz. bottles ( I believe these are bomber bottles) blow out during the 82 degree conditioning phase. No blowouts on Champagne bottles so far. I don't think bomber bottles are coded any higher than 12 oz. bottles. Most of them are designed for beers from 1.8-2.4 volumes Co2. Russian rivers Damnation and Alesmiths Horny Devil are two excellent beers that you could guzzle and those bottles are designed for higher Co2 levels. Alemsiths Belgian bottles will take a plastic cork which is what I mainly use.

I can't comment on Carb tabs as I've never used them.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #185
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna use the bombers with two carb tabs each of Coopers. Had no problems with an 8% pumpkin so I'm hoping for the same with this. Brewed my PM version last night and came in at 1.074, fermented with s-04 and Wyeast Belgian Golden. Fermenting this morning at around 68 deg, should be a little more violent when I get home at 5 today.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #186
enricocoron
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

One final warning though, it's not about OG or ABV, it's about volumes CO2...at 3.0 I had 2/12 Bombers burst, I have no idea what two carb tabs of Coopers is though, I just did a full cup of Corn sugar to 5 gallons, which is about 3.0...I believe 3/4 cup is the standard recommendation for American Ales. If two Coopers tabs is what you would use for American Ales, your mouthfeel will not match DT, you would need an additional half tab and that's where the bombers get stressed....but either way, the bottom just collapsed out, it's not a full on bottle bomb or anything.

Mines pretty much sputtering out now and I'm about to rack to the lagering vessel for 2-3 weeks at 35 degrees, need to find some grains of paradise.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #187
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I hear ya about the mouthful. Only reason I'm not too worried is because they probably won't get touched till they've been sitting for about 3 months or longer. Beers I've done with carb tabs tend to be pretty spritzy the longer they go. I'd like to know myself what Coopers says their tabs equate to in volumes of c02.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #188
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just to update my partial mash attempt. Started at 1.074 fermented with s04 and Wyeast Belgian Golden at around 70 deg. Two weeks later it's down to 1.011 sitting around 67 deg. Plan on letting it sit another week before cold crashing. Haven't decided how long to crash or if I will bring it back to room temp before kegging and bottling. Any thoughts?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #189
enricocoron
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I used Belgian Ale yeast only this time and it tasted pretty good going into the lagering phase. I would lager it two weeks if you can, this brew tends to be on the green side if you rush it....I usually plan on not drinking it until 2-3 months post brew day.

Started at 1.078, finished at 1.007, I'll lager 2 weeks, hot bottle condition for 3 weeks and then let sit for at least another week. I skipped the grains of P this time as last and no S04 so I'm curious to compare it to the last bottle of a previous batch.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #190
jkarp
Beer Herder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've got a batch on tap right now. Fermented cool - couldn't get it above 78 - but thankfully it finished out. Very smooth for an 8% brew...

Quick Reply