Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Monk Snot Belgian Dubbel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default All-Grain - Monk Snot Belgian Dubbel

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey
Yeast Starter: 1000mL
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.080
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 19
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 14.16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): See below
Tasting Notes: AMAZING beer! This will be entered into competitions this year without a doubt.

Monk Snot Belgian Dubbel
18-B Belgian Dubbel
Author: Suthrncomfrt1884

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 77.1%
Attenuation: 77.5%
Calories: 267.16 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.080 (1.062 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.008 - 1.018)
Color: 15.9 (10.0 - 17.0)
Alcohol: 8.19% (6.0% - 7.6%)
Bitterness: 19.0 (15.0 - 25.0)

Ingredients:
11.0 lb Maris Otter
0.5 lb Belgian Caramunich
0.25 lb Belgian Special B
0.25 lb Oats Flaked
1.5 lb Candi Sugar Clear
2.0 oz Hersbrucker (2.4%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Saaz (6.8%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1214 Belgian Abbey
1.0 ea WYeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
Mash w/ 4.75gal @165 to hit mash temp of 149F. Mash for 60 min. Infuse 6qts. @212F to hit rest temp of 162F and hold for 10 min. Infuse 6qts. @212F to hit rest temp of 170F and hold for 10 min. Sparge w/ 8qts. @170F. Pre-boil volume of 6.75gal. Boil for 60 minutes adding sugar at the last 10 minutes of boil. Cool to 60F and pitch 1000mL starter of Wyeast 1214. Ferment at 64F and add Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522 yeast after two days of initial fermentation.

After 7 days of fermenting at 64F, slowly raise temperature by 1 degree every other day until final temperature of 74F is hit. Ferment for a total of 4 weeks in primary. Rack to keg and condition for an additional 30 days before drinking. This beer turned out absolutely amazing.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.5

Another HERMS rig...

Last edited by Suthrncomfrt1884; 01-21-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I thought the recipe looked familiar. It's the same as the Belgian Dubbel kit from Northern Brewer with the exception of the Flaked Oats.

I brewed a batch of that a few months ago and it is indeed a fantastic beer. The only thing I did differently was to add the sugar to the primary after a week. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. Superbly smooth and incredibly quaffable. Next time I make it I'll probably add 0.5 lbs of Belgian Carapils for a little more body and head retention. That would make it just about perfect.

Last edited by EvilGnome6; 01-21-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

That's where the inspiration came from. I posted, then went back and checked my notes and noticed I had the wrong recipe. The only things I changed was as you said, the addition of oats. I also upped the base malt to 11lbs and used Marris Otter instead of belgian pale. Upped the candi sugar and added an additional yeast.

All in all, basically the same recipe, just a little higher gravity and different brewing schedule.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 02-02-2010, 04:36 AM   #4
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Make your own carmelized sugar next time, It's a nice touch. There is a DIY on here called 5 lb of sugar and yeast nutrients. I just made a dubbel with 4 grains, carmelized sugar and rasins. Other than the color being a little off it tastes pretty good.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Last edited by Steelers77; 02-02-2010 at 04:39 AM.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers77 View Post
Make your own carmelized sugar next time, It's a nice touch. There is a DIY on here called 5 lb of sugar and yeast nutrients. I just made a dubbel with 4 grains, carmelized sugar and rasins. Other than the color being a little off it tastes pretty good.
Technically, if you're going to replace the sugar, you can just use plain sucrose. I used clear, so there was no need to tint it or add anything to it. I was at the brew shop, it was available, so I bought it.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 02-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

"Although Belgian brewers favor Pilsener for the base malt and lean heavily on DARK carmel syrup for color and complexity, Americans lean toward pale ale malt as well as pilsner in the base and a much wider range of specialty malts".
That's from Brew Like a Monk I'm not saying your wrong, just going by what I have learned myself.

Last edited by Steelers77; 02-02-2010 at 07:22 PM.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

I don't really get what you're saying here. I understand what the base malts are. I thought we were talking about sugars here. I realize you can make your own sugar (as you said above), but when I was using clear candi sugar, there really wasn't any point. If I was going to make my own, I would just use normal sugar instead, and since it's clear, I don't need the color.

Not all Belgians use dark sugar (which is basically what the dark caramel syrup is).

Another HERMS rig...

Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

I understand not all Belgians use dark sugar, but what I think the book is saying is that in the case of a Belgian Dubbel the norm in Belgium is to use a dark caramelized sugar so they can get the flavor from it. They do not use the complex grain bills we use in the U.S, So they get the benefit of lower attenuation and the flavor from the caramelized sugars. I think if you had used Dark syrup it would have added another layer of complexity to the beer.
As I previously stated, I only used 4 grains in my Dubbel because I was expecting the dark syrup to lend the dark fruit flavors I was expecting. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, I was just thinking it would have been a nice touch to add syrup that you made.
One more thing is that Belgians (from what I've read) do not typically use Special B, that dark raisin and plum flavors come from dark syrups. In the book Westvleteren 8 has 4 sources for sugar: Pale malt, Pilsner, Sucrose, Caramelized sugar. They made a point to differentiate between sucrose and caramelized sugar. Out of all the grain bills in the book from commercial Belgian breweries I'd say 90% of the specifically designate dark caramel sugar or syrup.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

I think you should brew this recipe and compare it to a commercial Belgian Dubbel. I appreciate the input, and making my own candi sugar might be something to try in the future, but for now...this is a great Belgian Dubbel.

Look around the site at other Belgian Dubbel recipes. You're right about the color of sugar, I should have used darker for a true Dubbel, but the clear worked out just fine. Special B is used in almost every Belgian Dubbel recipe I've ever seen.

As said above, this isn't my 100% my recipe. I borrowed most of it from Northernbrewer.com and tweaked it to my own liking as far as yeast and mash schedule goes. I added a few things and fermented a bit differently. I don't typically brew my Belgians like most....BUT, that's why I got into homebrewing.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #10
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I agree with Southern Comfort regarding the use of clear candi sugars. I have read in multiple places (including Brew Like a Monk) that they are a waste of money and table sugar can be used instead. Table sugar is also refined to the point where it doesn't matter if it's made from cane or beets, it is indistinguishable in the brewing process.

I also believe you get a more complex flavor from candi syrup versus the crystals. I just used the D1 product in a batch I have going now. I was debating D1 vs D2. Both are labeled "dark. Has anyone done a good comparison and know when each is more appropriate?

Secondaries - Sunday Night Hoppy Pale Ale
Lagering in Kegs - None

Kegged: American Wheat/Rye, Nut Brown Ale, Munich Helles, Belgian Stout, Resurrection Milk Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Baltic Porter

Quick Reply