Monk Snot Belgian Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suthrncomfrt1884

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey
Yeast Starter
1000mL
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
14.16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
See below
Tasting Notes
AMAZING beer! This will be entered into competitions this year without a doubt.
Monk Snot Belgian Dubbel
18-B Belgian Dubbel
Author: Suthrncomfrt1884

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 77.1%
Attenuation: 77.5%
Calories: 267.16 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.080 (1.062 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.018 (1.008 - 1.018)
Color: 15.9 (10.0 - 17.0)
Alcohol: 8.19% (6.0% - 7.6%)
Bitterness: 19.0 (15.0 - 25.0)

Ingredients:
11.0 lb Maris Otter
0.5 lb Belgian Caramunich
0.25 lb Belgian Special B
0.25 lb Oats Flaked
1.5 lb Candi Sugar Clear
2.0 oz Hersbrucker (2.4%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Saaz (6.8%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1214 Belgian Abbey
1.0 ea WYeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

Notes
Mash w/ 4.75gal @165 to hit mash temp of 149F. Mash for 60 min. Infuse 6qts. @212F to hit rest temp of 162F and hold for 10 min. Infuse 6qts. @212F to hit rest temp of 170F and hold for 10 min. Sparge w/ 8qts. @170F. Pre-boil volume of 6.75gal. Boil for 60 minutes adding sugar at the last 10 minutes of boil. Cool to 60F and pitch 1000mL starter of Wyeast 1214. Ferment at 64F and add Wyeast Belgian Ardennes 3522 yeast after two days of initial fermentation.

After 7 days of fermenting at 64F, slowly raise temperature by 1 degree every other day until final temperature of 74F is hit. Ferment for a total of 4 weeks in primary. Rack to keg and condition for an additional 30 days before drinking. This beer turned out absolutely amazing.

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.5

I thought the recipe looked familiar. It's the same as the Belgian Dubbel kit from Northern Brewer with the exception of the Flaked Oats.

I brewed a batch of that a few months ago and it is indeed a fantastic beer. The only thing I did differently was to add the sugar to the primary after a week. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. Superbly smooth and incredibly quaffable. Next time I make it I'll probably add 0.5 lbs of Belgian Carapils for a little more body and head retention. That would make it just about perfect.

That's where the inspiration came from. I posted, then went back and checked my notes and noticed I had the wrong recipe. The only things I changed was as you said, the addition of oats. I also upped the base malt to 11lbs and used Marris Otter instead of belgian pale. Upped the candi sugar and added an additional yeast.

All in all, basically the same recipe, just a little higher gravity and different brewing schedule.

Make your own carmelized sugar next time, It's a nice touch. There is a DIY on here called 5 lb of sugar and yeast nutrients. I just made a dubbel with 4 grains, carmelized sugar and rasins. Other than the color being a little off it tastes pretty good.

Make your own carmelized sugar next time, It's a nice touch. There is a DIY on here called 5 lb of sugar and yeast nutrients. I just made a dubbel with 4 grains, carmelized sugar and rasins. Other than the color being a little off it tastes pretty good.

Technically, if you're going to replace the sugar, you can just use plain sucrose. I used clear, so there was no need to tint it or add anything to it. I was at the brew shop, it was available, so I bought it.

"Although Belgian brewers favor Pilsener for the base malt and lean heavily on DARK carmel syrup for color and complexity, Americans lean toward pale ale malt as well as pilsner in the base and a much wider range of specialty malts".
That's from Brew Like a Monk I'm not saying your wrong, just going by what I have learned myself.

I don't really get what you're saying here. I understand what the base malts are. I thought we were talking about sugars here. I realize you can make your own sugar (as you said above), but when I was using clear candi sugar, there really wasn't any point. If I was going to make my own, I would just use normal sugar instead, and since it's clear, I don't need the color.

Not all Belgians use dark sugar (which is basically what the dark caramel syrup is).

I understand not all Belgians use dark sugar, but what I think the book is saying is that in the case of a Belgian Dubbel the norm in Belgium is to use a dark caramelized sugar so they can get the flavor from it. They do not use the complex grain bills we use in the U.S, So they get the benefit of lower attenuation and the flavor from the caramelized sugars. I think if you had used Dark syrup it would have added another layer of complexity to the beer.
As I previously stated, I only used 4 grains in my Dubbel because I was expecting the dark syrup to lend the dark fruit flavors I was expecting. I'm not saying one way is right or wrong, I was just thinking it would have been a nice touch to add syrup that you made.
One more thing is that Belgians (from what I've read) do not typically use Special B, that dark raisin and plum flavors come from dark syrups. In the book Westvleteren 8 has 4 sources for sugar: Pale malt, Pilsner, Sucrose, Caramelized sugar. They made a point to differentiate between sucrose and caramelized sugar. Out of all the grain bills in the book from commercial Belgian breweries I'd say 90% of the specifically designate dark caramel sugar or syrup.

I think you should brew this recipe and compare it to a commercial Belgian Dubbel. I appreciate the input, and making my own candi sugar might be something to try in the future, but for now...this is a great Belgian Dubbel.

Look around the site at other Belgian Dubbel recipes. You're right about the color of sugar, I should have used darker for a true Dubbel, but the clear worked out just fine. Special B is used in almost every Belgian Dubbel recipe I've ever seen.

As said above, this isn't my 100% my recipe. I borrowed most of it from Northernbrewer.com and tweaked it to my own liking as far as yeast and mash schedule goes. I added a few things and fermented a bit differently. I don't typically brew my Belgians like most....BUT, that's why I got into homebrewing.

I agree with Southern Comfort regarding the use of clear candi sugars. I have read in multiple places (including Brew Like a Monk) that they are a waste of money and table sugar can be used instead. Table sugar is also refined to the point where it doesn't matter if it's made from cane or beets, it is indistinguishable in the brewing process.

I also believe you get a more complex flavor from candi syrup versus the crystals. I just used the D1 product in a batch I have going now. I was debating D1 vs D2. Both are labeled "dark. Has anyone done a good comparison and know when each is more appropriate?

That's where the inspiration came from. I posted, then went back and checked my notes and noticed I had the wrong recipe. The only things I changed was as you said, the addition of oats. I also upped the base malt to 11lbs and used Marris Otter instead of belgian pale. Upped the candi sugar and added an additional yeast.

All in all, basically the same recipe, just a little higher gravity and different brewing schedule.

Those are pretty significant changes, IMHO. It's definitely your recipe now, not NB's.

I'm looking for a recipe to throw on a WLP568 yeast cake. Do you think this recipe would work well with that yeast strain?

Back