Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Duvel Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
e lo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Interesting recipe. I'm trying it this weekend, since the HERMS (modeled after yours The_Pol, but without the fancy-pants control panel) is up and running beautifully.

Question about adding the yeast nutrient to the secondary -- what type of nutrient? I use fermax every batch, but I add it to the boil (per instructions.) Should there be concerns re: contamination from adding it to the secondary? Or would it be advisable to briefly heat the corn sugar and nutrients in a small volume of water to sterilize, then add to the secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

I think youd be fine adding it to the corn sugar mixture while boiling it.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
e lo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mash is ramping right now! I'm excited to see how this will turn out. I'll report back after it's bottled.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ah I love Duvel. But, this seems really difficult to do.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
e lo

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hm. After two weeks in primary, it's stopped at 1.013 from 1.072, an apparent attenuation of 81%. I had some issues with my mash - unbeknownst to me, my HLT/heat exchange tank stirrer stalled midway through the mash, and my ramping speed got all f'd up, so I don't think I got as fermentable a mash as I was hoping for. I'm a little gunshy about adding the corn sugar to the 2ndary, because I don't want to end up with a really sweet beer on my hands.

I may just leave it as is. Any thoughts?

Edit:
Gah! I just tasted my gravity sample, and the phenol/band-aid taste is strong enough to knock me over. How disappointing.

Last edited by e lo; 02-21-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #16
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Since I don't have any means of slowly ramping the mash temp, what's the next best thing? Quadrupole decoction??? 100-120-145-153-170?

Kind of joking there, but any other way of keeping the beer dry without a HERMS?

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 04-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #17
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornbrewer View Post
Since I don't have any means of slowly ramping the mash temp, what's the next best thing? Quadrupole decoction??? 100-120-145-153-170?

Kind of joking there, but any other way of keeping the beer dry without a HERMS?
A single-infusion mash at 147-149° for 90 minutes will encourage a more fermentable wort. Simple sugar will encourage dry it out as will a hefty starter, good aeration and warm fermentation temperatures.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #18
Bjornbrewer
Recipes 

Location: St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know lower mash temps will help with the fermentability of the wort...will it be enough though? Anyone try a single infusion and get the low FG?

Thanks for the feedback

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

Old 04-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #19
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I dont have the means to make this recipe so instead I am going to do the golden strong ale recipe from Jamil's book. It's said that it comes out close to a duvel. I will report back when it's all done.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #20
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerPressure View Post
I dont have the means to make this recipe so instead I am going to do the golden strong ale recipe from Jamil's book. It's said that it comes out close to a duvel. I will report back when it's all done.
I suspect you'll be thrilled with that recipe; definitely use the yeast recommended (WLP570). I have a BGSA in primary right now using that yeast and it's just awesome. Complex esters and phenols, and it'll finish quite dry with the simple sugar and low mash temp.

Quick Reply