Dubbel Date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergolf

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WY 1214
Yeast Starter
yes, appropriate size.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 weeks
Tasting Notes
see below
This was inspired by a recipe in BLAM that used raisins in the brew.I changed the grain bill some and used dates instead. I have brewed this twice and it is a very nice dubbel. I did this as a BIAB partial mash with a dunk sparge. I get 75% efficiency so adjust accordingly.

It is a very nice dubbel. A slightly dry finish with date,fig, plum notes. The dates an extra dimension of flavor that the special B and syrup don't give by themselves. Color is a nice reddish hue. Pours with a nice head that goes down to about 1/4" after a while but lasts through the whole glass. It can be a little dangerous because it is so drinkable. Getting ready to brew this again because I don't want to run out.

Belgian Pale 4lbs 40%
Munich 8oz. 5%
Special B 6oz. 3.8%
Carapils 6oz. 3.8%
Honey Malt 4oz. 2.5%

Mash at 149 for 60 minutes. Dunk sparge for 15 minutes. Boil size 4 gallons.

Pilsen DME 1lb 10% at start of boil
Pilsen DME 2lb 20% last 10 minutes
Candi syrup D-45 1lb. 10% at end of boil
Date Sugar 8oz. 5% added after fermentation slows.(mix with some water and boil,cool down and add)
Chopped dates. 6 oz. finely chopped. (I put them in a hops sack) add at flame out and rest for 10 minutes before cool down. Remove before transferring to fermenter.

Styrian Goldings 3.8% 1oz FWH 12.5 IBU
Saaz 3.0% 1oz @ 30 7.6 IBU

BU:GU ratio .29

Whirlfloc and yeast nutrient added at 15 minutes.

After cool down. transfer to fermenter and top off to 5 Gallons.

Pitch yeast at 64 degrees and left at 68 degrees ambient for 2 days. Raise ambient temp to 72 and ferment for 5 weeks total.

Bottle and be patient. Like any Belgian it does improve with age. It tastes pretty good at one month but 3-4 is even better. The second batch is at 5 months now and it is great. The first batch is at 9 months and it has improved even more.

Edit: The all grain version I made came out great. Just replace the DME with 5 lbs of Belgian pils.

beer.jpg

Second line down..

WY1214. I think the fruity nature of. 1214 works great with this brew.

sounds yum!

Reckon I'll do an allgrain version real soon. No honey malt around here so will just leave it out. Sounds like a great recipe to try the WLP545 I have as well.

sounds yum!

Reckon I'll do an allgrain version real soon. No honey malt around here so will just leave it out. Sounds like a great recipe to try the WLP545 I have as well.

I just brewed an all grain version. It still is fermenting, so it will be a while before it is ready.

I used 5 lbs Belgian pils to replace the DME and slightly altered the hops schedule to keep the BU:GU ratio at .29.

If you are going to eliminate the honey malt, you could just up the carapils, since DME does have some carapils in it.

I go back and forth between partial mash and all grain. If the weather is crummy I brew partial mash inside. If it is nice out I go outside and do all grain.

BG.. I'm math challenged :(
Would you mind sending or posting your AG recipe?
I haven't done an AG yet.. but, have most stuff together to do a BIAB full boils. I'll try a simple AG recipe first to get things 'debugged' but, this sounds real good.

I love a good gimmick name. Did you come up with the name or the recipe first?

I love a good gimmick name. Did you come up with the name or the recipe first?

I did the recipe first, the name came later. It just seemed like a perfect name.

For the AG recipe, just replace the 3lbs of DME with 5 LBS of Belgian Pils. I think I reduced the hops very slightly to account for the full boil vs the 4 gallon boil of the partial. But if you,left the the same you would be OK.

I love the idea of using dates in a dubbel. I may have to add that into my dubbel recipe when I brew it again.

Do you feel like you got significant flavor by adding it just at flame out and only for 10 minutes? I would be tempted to add it for the last bit of the boil and then maybe also add some to secondary. Do you think that would make a significant different in the flavor contribution?

I love the idea of using dates in a dubbel. I may have to add that into my dubbel recipe when I brew it again.

Do you feel like you got significant flavor by adding it just at flame out and only for 10 minutes? I would be tempted to add it for the last bit of the boil and then maybe also add some to secondary. Do you think that would make a significant different in the flavor contribution?

I have not had one in a while so I opened one tonight to taste it again. Yum.

I think I got just the right amount of flavor adding the dates when I did. I chopped them pretty fine so the flavor came out easily. The date sugar also added to the flavor slightly. Just like when I cook I do not like flavors to dominate but be subtle additions.

Adding the dates to to boil could add pectin so it could be a problem, so it is usually not recommended. If you want a stronger date flavor, either add more or you could add some to the secondary.

Back