Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Double Drunk Monk Belgian Dark

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2011, 09:37 PM   #21
Pandaren
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I would prob just follow the recipe, but if you're partial to more time in the fermentors, then keep primary the same, and increase secondary a few weeks. It will certainly be good by xmas, but might still be a little hot and green. Something this big though, will mostly just be hot. Otherwise, I'd say you're good to go!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 283 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaren View Post
I would prob just follow the recipe, but if you're partial to more time in the fermentors, then keep primary the same, and increase secondary a few weeks. It will certainly be good by xmas, but might still be a little hot and green. Something this big though, will mostly just be hot. Otherwise, I'd say you're good to go!
Haha, ok. 7 day primary and 3 day secondary sounded a little short to me, but if the time in the bottles is what's important, that's what I'll do (OG/FG permitting, of course). Noobs like me probably shouldn't be fiddling with the recipes of award winning beers

Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #23
Pandaren
Recipes 

ya the 3 day secondary hit me by suprise, too. In fact, if I remember right, my work schedule didnt work out well with me bottling after 3 days, so I'm pretty sure it was in there for a week. Let us know how it turns out!

Old 09-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #24
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just an update: brewed this Saturday night WAAAAY late. We were up until 4:30 cleaning up. That's not all brewing, obv. We had a late lunch date with some friends and then had to cook and bake for a Sunday party. Didn't start sanitizing for bottling the ESB until around 9, and finally started brewing around 11:30.

Everything went exceptionally smoothly, save for a little scorching of the LME. That stuff is irritating to work with- I think I'm done with it. Hope it didn't affect the flavor too much- it smells pretty burnt/coffee ish, but it wasn't apparent in the gravity sample. Also missed the gravity (wtf) only by a few points, because I think I boiled too big and the boil-off on my pot/burner is actually pretty minimal.

Pitched a 2qt starter and after ~12hr lag it took off. It's been blowing through the blowoff since mid afternoon yesterday. Looking forward to this one

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 10-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #25
kyleslattery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In the recipe, you mention Wyeast 1762, but then in a later post you say you used 1214. Which did you actually use?

Old 10-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #26
kinkothecarp
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleslattery View Post
In the recipe, you mention Wyeast 1762, but then in a later post you say you used 1214. Which did you actually use?
I've used both, but the Rochefort yeast turned out better for my tastes!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #27
kyleslattery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great, thanks. I'm really looking forward to making this!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #28
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just an update, the krausen kept shooting through the blowoff for about 5 days, then I switched it to a bubbler. Gravity was only about 1.040 and it's been bubbling pretty slowly since then, so it may take a while to get down to final gravity. Smells fantastic, but man, you can barely smell it through the alcohol. Might just end up doing a long primary of 3 weeks and then going right into bottles. We'll see. The waiting is the hardest part.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
Moratorium
Recipes 

I am planning on brewing this up this weekend. It sounds great! This is going to be my Holiday brew to to hand out. Any new updates anyone would like to share?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #30
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mine was only at 1.030 as of last sunday, which would be 2 weeks in primary. Not sure why it's so slow compared to OP, but it is a big beer so I'm not worried.

I've roused the yeast once, and may again this weekend (3 weeks in primary). Still the occasional airlock bubble, though, so I'll keep rousing and waiting until it's done. Tastes excellent, most of that ridiculous alcohol nose is gone- this should be a great beer in a few months.

Quick Reply