Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > All-Grain - Dark Strong Belgian (Chimay Blue)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #21
mhot55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This needs 6months aging. You could get away with 4, but it is not quite ready. Good, but not great. 6-9 months was almost perfect. 9-12 months seemed to be getting to the perfect aging time for this. Once the 12 month mark hits it pretty much stabilizes and doesn't change much for a few months.12-15 month mark is the sweet spot for this. Here is the interesting thing- Once you start going past this, the beer start changing......not for the worse though. There my be some slight oxidation, but not necessarily in a bad way. Any bitterness has all but faded as well as any alcohol heat. Just mellow and smooth. Even 2 years later this beer still tastes great.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #22
heathcom
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry for a few newb questions. This will be a first attempt at a belgian style. Recipe looks great and chimay has many great reviews. First question is when adding the sugar, is it at flame out or last few minutes of the boil? Second question, when adding yeast before bottling, would a dry packet be too much and would this be at room temps?

Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #23
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I added sugar toward send of the boil- like last 10-15 minutes.
Yeast at bottling wasn't the whole package- but maybe 1/3. Remember, you aren't fermenting...you just need enough to eat the priming sugar and carb the beer.

To update again, I finally finished the last bottle last month. This beer was truly amazing, even 2+ years after. The best seemed to be somewhere between 10-15 months. Yes, big range, but it was awesome. Throw a bottle or 2 on the side and keep stored for a while. Noticing the subtle differences is neat. This beer 2+ years was a smooth, raisin-y, slightly sweet and mellow alcohol bomb.

Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #24
heathcom
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In the process of brewing a one gallon batch of this recipe, scaled to fit. The smell is amazing! Orange zest, galena hops and grains oh my. The seeds of paradise I never heard before and they do smell great. Thanks for this recipe, sure is going to be a long wait...

Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
CZs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

really getting into dark strongs/quads and this is a great thread - would love to see a cross between this and Rochefort 8 or 10 and if anyone has any experience adding other levels of flavor or replacing flavors with something like black licorice or amaretto and if they might work with this type of brew

someone mentioned utilizing those flavors for an English Brown, but - I'm ultra picky when it comes to those and really only have "loved" Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale - I would think these profiles might work in a dark strong / quad - thoughts anyone - maybe the original recipe with these flavors might even work well?

Old 02-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #26
rjb84
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed this today and came in at 1.088 in OG. Not too bad as far as I'm concerned. This recipe has done extremely well for me the last 2 times I brewed it!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #27
pattatat
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28 @ 68
Additional Fermentation: 200 @ 50-70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 35 @ 63

I'm confused, does this mean:
28 days @ 68 followed by 35 days @63
Then 200 days bottle conditioned?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #28
jerryk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I may have a problem. FG after 30 days 1.022. OG was 1.092. I am thinking of adding champaign yeast to bring it down a little more but I don't want to make it to dry. Or should I just leave it alone?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply