Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Cherub Nectar Belgian Golden Strong: Third BOS at 2013 Door County Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1012 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 2090

Default Cherub Nectar Belgian Golden Strong: Third BOS at 2013 Door County Competition

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Abbey Ale and Belgian Golden Strong (both White Labs)
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.004
IBU: 32
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 20
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): none
Tasting Notes: the potent abv of this beer is hidden by its easy-to-drink qualities, light and dry

This beer, brewed collaboratively with my oldest son, took first place in its category and third place BOS at the 2013 Door County Beer Festival Homebrew Competition in Bailey's Harbor last Saturday.

Key to this style is that its devilishly high potency is masked by its dry, light drinkability. To achieve that, we used plenty of yeast (I made two 1/2 gallon starters of Abbey and Belgian Golden Strong WL strains), mashed low, added 2.5 lbs of sugar, and ramped the fermentation temp up over time. The hops are just some we had on hand, they are only there to add some bittering.

http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Ch...en-Strong.html

11 lbs Pilsner Malt
2.5 lbs Cane Sugar
1 lb Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb. Wheat Malt
1.25 oz. Mt. Ranier hops (6% aa) 60 minutes
1 oz. Challenger hops (5.2% aa) 60 minutes
Irish Moss
Belgian Golden Ale Yeast
Abbey Ale Yeast

Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.004
ABV: 9.5%
Bitterness: 32.1 IBUs
Mash: 148 F for 60 minutes, single infusion, batch sparge
Fermentation started at 60F, ramped up to 76F

LoloMT7 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 368 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I have a couple more questions (sorry)
-I'm seeing about 1.084 on a 5.25G batch withOUT the DME, on about 73% estimated efficiency. Do you know why the discrepancy?
-Did you use "fairly soft" water (BJCP description) because I'm working with fairly hard water where I'm at?

Old 06-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
I have a couple more questions (sorry)
-I'm seeing about 1.084 on a 5.25G batch withOUT the DME, on about 73% estimated efficiency. Do you know why the discrepancy?
-Did you use "fairly soft" water (BJCP description) because I'm working with fairly hard water where I'm at?
I don't have access to Beersmith on this computer so will need to get back to you later with the exact answer, but I generally get 70% efficiency. On bigger beers, that efficiency will go down. Also, this batch was almost 6 gallons going into the carboy, I will change that in the recipe.

I use standard Chicago-area tap water, from Lake Michigan, which is generally regarded as fine for brewing. I let it sit overnight to release any chlorine and I add campden to neutralize any chloramines. Other than that, I didn't adjust the water.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
stpug
Recipes 

Perfect!
6 gallon batch at >=70% efficiency explains it - thank you!!
I guess my water is not far off from your based on the chicago water reports I've seen here. I'll roll with it

Old 07-15-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
stpug
Recipes 

This one has just moved into the #1 spot on my to-do list Pappers, and I'm really excited for it. It'll be a couple week out yet because I've got a vacation planned but just want you to know that I'm antsy to get a move on this one. I've adjusted the base malt and sugar down a hair to match my setup so I'm close to the OG, and I think I'm going to add a couple small additions of styrian and saaz at 10 and 5, respectively. I'm not decided on what yeast(s) I'll be using. I've got a few at my disposal that should fit the bill on this one; built-up westmalle bottle dregs 3787, built-up pranqster bottle dregs (yeast blend), and farmhouse ale WY3726. I'll probably either go all pranqster (a blend already) or a blend of westmalle and farmhouse; I'm 50/50 on which one to do.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
stpug
Recipes 

I'm proud to say that this one is officially in the books and I pitched my built-up pranqster bottle dregs 10 minutes ago. I'm really excited for this one (but I'm ALWAYS excited for EVERY one ). I scrapped the idea of really late addition hops figuring they'd be gone by the time I let this one age anyway, however I did do a 20 minute addition of styrian goldings. Thanks for sharing!!!

Here's how I ended up with my system and hit my OG right on the nose:

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.075 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
3.30 ml               Lactic Acid (Mash 60.0 mins)             Water Agent   1        -             
9 lbs 8.0 oz          Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM)             Grain         2        74.5 %        
1 lbs                 Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM)   Grain         3        7.8 %         
0.700 oz              Belma [9.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min           Hop           4        21.7 IBUs     
1.500 oz              StyrianGoldings(Celeia) [2.9 %]-Boil 20m Hop           5        7.6 IBUs      
0.50 Items            Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)         Fining        6        -             
2 lbs 4.0 oz          Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil for 1 min]  Sugar         7        17.6 %        
1.0 pkg               North Coast PranQster Bottle Dregs       Yeast         8        -             

Mash Schedule: Step Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 12.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                          Step Temperat Step Time     
Protein Rest      Add 8.15 qt of water at 124.6 F      113.0 F       15 min        
Saccharification1 Add 5.50 qt of water at 209.8 F      146.0 F       45 min        
Saccharification2 Add 3.67 qt of water at 210.7 F      158.0 F       25 min        

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, 2.5gal, 1.75gal) of 185.0 F water

Notes:
------
Plans:
-Pitch at 65F and keep there for 1 day of fermentation
-Let free rise in to 72F and maintain for majority of fermentation
-Goal is 65F-72F using free rise
-Keep in 70s until FG is reached 2 week or more

Actual:
Steps I hit were: 117, 146. 155
Cooled to ~71F with immersion chiller
Was able to finally cool to ~64-65F in water bath with frozen ice packs
Pitched at ~64-65F
Put under swamp cooler to keep cool
Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
stpug
Recipes 

Almost two weeks in the fermenter and I thought I'd check the gravity (flavor and aroma too).
1.004 FG (~9.4% ABV)!! I totally did not expect to get this low - I figured I'd peter out around 1.008-1.010 (~8.5% ABV) but the fermentables combined with pranqster yeast did the job.

The comment I actually wrote in my beersmith notes was:
"Holy F*cking WOW!!!!!" (but I spelled it all out correctly ).

At less than 2 weeks old, I'm as impressed with this beer as I have been with most/many/all golden strongs I've bought that were aged much longer. The belgian yeast characteristics come through very much like they do in pranqster; same fruitiness with some spice and a strong belgian yeast character. I sense a little graininess/wheatiness which works very well, and I imagine this will mellow down a hair as the beer clarifies and settles.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:

Thanks for sharing your recipe Pappers. It inspired me to try my first big belgian beer and I'm totally impressed!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
Almost two weeks in the fermenter and I thought I'd check the gravity (flavor and aroma too).
1.004 FG (~9.4% ABV)!! I totally did not expect to get this low - I figured I'd peter out around 1.008-1.010 (~8.5% ABV) but the fermentables combined with pranqster yeast did the job.

The comment I actually wrote in my beersmith notes was:
"Holy F*cking WOW!!!!!" (but I spelled it all out correctly ).

At less than 2 weeks old, I'm as impressed with this beer as I have been with most/many/all golden strongs I've bought that were aged much longer. The belgian yeast characteristics come through very much like they do in pranqster; same fruitiness with some spice and a strong belgian yeast character. I sense a little graininess/wheatiness which works very well, and I imagine this will mellow down a hair as the beer clarifies and settles.

I guess what I'm trying to say is:

Thanks for sharing your recipe Pappers. It inspired me to try my first big belgian beer and I'm totally impressed!
Sounds great, congratulations on your batch!

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

Quick Reply