Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #541
Reindeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 45
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default


I'm brewing the extract version this weekend, using Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity.
Really excited to try this, I love a good tripel.

__________________
Reindeer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #542
antiteam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 69
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by neovox View Post
Found it cached on Google

Dragonmead Final Absolution Triple Clone

AHA Style 02-C Belgian and French Ale, Tripel
Min OG: 1.060 Max OG: 1.096
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 25
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 6 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.00
Anticipated OG: 1.094 Plato: 22.49
Anticipated SRM: 5.4
Anticipated IBU: 35.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
80.0 12.80 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.071 2
10.0 1.60 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.008 6
10.0 1.60 lbs. Candy Sugar 1.015 0

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.80 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Whole 4.50 29.7 60 min
0.40 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole 5.25 3.9 30 min
0.80 oz. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 1.7 3 min

Yeast: White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain Lbs: 14.40
Water Qts: 36.00 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 9.00 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 2.50 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Acid Rest: 0 0 Min
Protein Rest: 140 15 Min
Intermediate Rest: 0 0 Min
Saccharification Rest: 150 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 168 15 Min
Sparge: 168 60 Min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 10.20 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
Brewed this a little bit ago. Good recipe. I have a few thoughts.

Pause for full disclosure: I have not read pages 7 through 55. Forgive me for anything that has been changed/optimized since.

My background: I started going to Dragonmead shortly after they opened. I've always loved Final Absolution and remember when they came home with the WBC medal. I also remember when they decided to change the formula to make it "closer to style". (Unrelated to this - I also remember when "Crown Jewels" was called "Big Larry's IPA" and you only ordered "Broken Paddle" when it was out.) That's how long ago I was there. I lived 1/4mi from the brewery for 3 years and came by as often as I could. A lot of my MBA homework was done at their bar. I moved away to Chicago in 2008 and have always tried to visit when I'm back home.


I brewed the recipe above but upped the candy sugar to 2lbs. Don't have fermentation temperature control at the moment, so I let it free ferment in my basement in a KCMO summer, which definitely let it get warmer than it should have.

I had a lot of trouble clearing this one out, even after kegged and cooled. I built a new keezer and held it at 35, which helped a good deal. I also happened to get a filter system at the same time so I filtered through a 5mu then a 1mu.

Experience: This is a really good tripel recipe. Definitely get the fruity sweetness that you want and it's a great color with a nice head. Like I mentioned, it fermented warm, and the hot alcohol is somewhat distracting, but that's my fault, not the recipe.

Cloning: My brother-in-law came to visit us in Kansas City and brought a bunch of Michigan beer, including a 4 pack of Final Absolution. I just did a side-by-side and I have to say I was surprised. The DM FA had a lot more carmel malt flavor and aroma than I remembered. That contrasted sharply to the homebrew recipe that was very traditional to the tripel style. Color was close and the difference in clarity was something I wrote off to a long bottle conditioning vs. a short term kegging. I'm sure mine would clear over time.

Verdict: I have to say I prefer the clone to the bottles that my bro-in-law brought me. Much more traditional to the style, which I like. I love FA, but I prefer the homebrew flavor.

Photo is attached. DM is on the left. Homebrew is in the jar on the right.
__________________
antiteam is offline  
bford Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #543
iluvmysh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: la
Posts: 98
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by antiteam View Post
Brewed this a little bit ago. Good recipe. I have a few thoughts.

Pause for full disclosure: I have not read pages 7 through 55. Forgive me for anything that has been changed/optimized since.

My background: I started going to Dragonmead shortly after they opened. I've always loved Final Absolution and remember when they came home with the WBC medal. I also remember when they decided to change the formula to make it "closer to style". (Unrelated to this - I also remember when "Crown Jewels" was called "Big Larry's IPA" and you only ordered "Broken Paddle" when it was out.) That's how long ago I was there. I lived 1/4mi from the brewery for 3 years and came by as often as I could. A lot of my MBA homework was done at their bar. I moved away to Chicago in 2008 and have always tried to visit when I'm back home.


I brewed the recipe above but upped the candy sugar to 2lbs. Don't have fermentation temperature control at the moment, so I let it free ferment in my basement in a KCMO summer, which definitely let it get warmer than it should have.

I had a lot of trouble clearing this one out, even after kegged and cooled. I built a new keezer and held it at 35, which helped a good deal. I also happened to get a filter system at the same time so I filtered through a 5mu then a 1mu.

Experience: This is a really good tripel recipe. Definitely get the fruity sweetness that you want and it's a great color with a nice head. Like I mentioned, it fermented warm, and the hot alcohol is somewhat distracting, but that's my fault, not the recipe.

Cloning: My brother-in-law came to visit us in Kansas City and brought a bunch of Michigan beer, including a 4 pack of Final Absolution. I just did a side-by-side and I have to say I was surprised. The DM FA had a lot more carmel malt flavor and aroma than I remembered. That contrasted sharply to the homebrew recipe that was very traditional to the tripel style. Color was close and the difference in clarity was something I wrote off to a long bottle conditioning vs. a short term kegging. I'm sure mine would clear over time.

Verdict: I have to say I prefer the clone to the bottles that my bro-in-law brought me. Much more traditional to the style, which I like. I love FA, but I prefer the homebrew flavor.

Photo is attached. DM is on the left. Homebrew is in the jar on the right.
photo not showing?
__________________
iluvmysh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #544
antiteam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 69
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmysh View Post
photo not showing?
Oops! Here it is.
photo-2-.jpg  
__________________
antiteam is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #545
iluvmysh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: la
Posts: 98
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by antiteam View Post
Oops! Here it is.
diggin the jar
__________________
iluvmysh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #546
CSI
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CSI's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 625
Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by antiteam View Post
Oops! Here it is.
Second that. Very cool jar...
__________________

"Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys." - John Palmer

CSI is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #547
chupalt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Default


For those that did 5 gallon batches, did you scale the original recipe? I'm planning to do the extract version in the next couple of weeks. I'll probably shoot for 5.25 gallons in the primary. Any help would be appreciated.

__________________
chupalt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #548
CSI
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CSI's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 625
Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by chupalt View Post
For those that did 5 gallon batches, did you scale the original recipe? I'm planning to do the extract version in the next couple of weeks. I'll probably shoot for 5.25 gallons in the primary. Any help would be appreciated.
antiteam posted a 5.0 gal scaled version of the recipe on this page just above.

Cheers
__________________

"Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys." - John Palmer

CSI is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #549
chupalt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Default


Thanks for your help. The recipe that antiteam posted appears to be all-grain. I'm planning to do the extract version. I've put the recipe as-is into beersmith and brewtarget and it appears to be very close to the original posters OG with a 5 gallon batch. If I scale it down, the OG appears to be lower than expected.

__________________
chupalt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #550
CSI
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CSI's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 625
Liked 76 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by chupalt View Post
Thanks for your help. The recipe that antiteam posted appears to be all-grain. I'm planning to do the extract version. I've put the recipe as-is into beersmith and brewtarget and it appears to be very close to the original posters OG with a 5 gallon batch. If I scale it down, the OG appears to be lower than expected.
DME will vary with manufacturer and malt. 1.040 - 1.043 (ppg). Sometimes the entries in BeerSmith need tweeking or manual entry. With a Light/Pils DME of 1.042, Munich DME at 1.042, Candi Syrup at 1.032, and an OG target of 1.082 you would use the following for 5 gallons:

8 lbs Pils/Light DME
1 lb Munich DME
1 lb Candi Syrup (we use the candi syrup not the rock)

Cheers
__________________

"Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys." - John Palmer

CSI is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AHS Belgian Trippel ackgod Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 07-08-2009 03:56 PM
My First Gold Medal!!!! BarleyWater General Chit Chat 10 10-04-2008 03:17 AM
WANTED: Gold Medal Pale Ale Recipe digdan Recipes/Ingredients 1 04-25-2006 03:23 AM
2006 World Beer Cup RichBrewer General Beer Discussion 4 04-17-2006 05:56 PM
World of Beer 2006, MILWAUKEE, Wi Pumbaa Wisconsin HomeBrew Forum 0 02-27-2006 04:51 AM



Newest Threads