Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #521
CSI
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-c View Post
Yea, I agree on that. I'm leaning towards primary for 3 weeks and secondary for 5 weeks; will there still be enough yeast to carb bottles after 8 weeks since production?
Better

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #522
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmysh View Post
Thanks for the heads up on that.

Anyone else brew via all grain? Any comments on my post regarding temp/time/volume would be greatly appreciated.
WLP500 (Chimay) will be a little fruity at 69F for 21 days, although with bottle conditioning over time it may tone down a little. We experimented with this strain for a number of years, (and arrived at near-identical temps to Denny's advice). In deference to the White Labs temp brackets we tried 65-69F and it was a little too fruity. At 63-64F it resulted in a nice balance between fruit and spice.

Primary duration with the right pitch should be somewhere in the range of 7-10 days, (14 days is ok). If the pitch is nutrient-healthy and well oxygenated it will also flocculate beautifully in secondary. If not then the flocc could take a while

Old 11-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #523
iluvmysh
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
WLP500 (Chimay) will be a little fruity at 69F for 21 days, although with bottle conditioning over time it may tone down a little. We experimented with this strain for a number of years, (and arrived at near-identical temps to Denny's advice). In deference to the White Labs temp brackets we tried 65-69F and it was a little too fruity. At 63-64F it resulted in a nice balance between fruit and spice.

Primary duration with the right pitch should be somewhere in the range of 7-10 days, (14 days is ok). If the pitch is nutrient-healthy and well oxygenated it will also flocculate beautifully in secondary. If not then it could cause an extended wait
thanks again for your advice - all is welcome. however, what i'm after is my procedure with the all grain brew:

Strike water (155 degrees?): 4.5Gallons
Sparge (170 degrees?): (1.5x's strike?) ~6.75Gallons
Hopefully will yield in 7gallons preboil?

Does 155 degrees/4.5 gallons, 170 degrees/6.75 gallons sound correct for this grain bill?

12.8lbs Pilsner
1.6lbs Munich Malt (2row)
1.6lbsCandy sugar

1.8oz hallertauer mittelfruh
.4oz styrian goldings
.8 chzech saaz

Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #524
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
what i'm after is my procedure with the all grain brew:

Strike water (155 degrees?): 4.5Gallons
Sparge (170 degrees?): (1.5x's strike?) ~6.75Gallons
Hopefully will yield in 7gallons preboil?

Does 155 degrees/4.5 gallons, 170 degrees/6.75 gallons sound correct for this grain bill?
My pleasure.

4.5 + 6.75 gallons will yield 8.3-8.4 gallons of pre-boil wort based on the absorption factor. Mash out a gallon less.

If 155F is the strike temp (probably too low unless the grist is almost hot).
If 155F is the mash temp then it is too high for a Tripel style. It should be closer to 148F.

"Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys." - John Palmer

iluvmysh Likes This 
Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #525
iluvmysh
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
My pleasure.

4.5 + 6.75 gallons will yield 8.3-8.4 gallons of pre-boil wort based on the absorbtion factor. Mash out a gallon less.

If 155F is the strike temp (probably too low unless the grist is almost hot).
If 155F is the mash temp then it is too high for a Tripel style. It should be closer to 148F.

Thank you! just the answer I was looking for. I will scale down my water.
I plan to mash in at 148-149 for 90 minutes (after doing some research yesterday). Grain temp is probably 65 degrees. After playing with some online calculators, I will temper my mash tun (10gallon rubbermaid) to about 157 and add hot/cold water to reach my mash temp of 148.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #526
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Thank you! just the answer I was looking for. I will scale down my water.
I plan to mash in at 148-149 for 90 minutes (after doing some research yesterday). Grain temp is probably 65 degrees. After playing with some online calculators, I will temper my mash tun (10gallon rubbermaid) to about 157 and add hot/cold water to reach my mash temp of 148.
Sounds right on to me.

"Ales are supposed to be slightly fruity, and Belgian and German wheat beers are expected to have banana flavor components, but sometimes a beer comes along that could flag down a troop of monkeys." - John Palmer

iluvmysh Likes This 
Old 11-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #527
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Sounds right on to me.
Sounds like a tasty recipe, Cant get the beer where I am, but I'll work something out I'm sure.

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 11-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #528
RobanyBigjobz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Made up an extract batch of this as my first adventure in doing something more complicated than a kit. Thanks to HuRRiC4Ne for the recipe I love Belgian tripels but living in the UK I'm never likely to see any real Final Absolution.

Made up a starter with a single smack pack of Wyeast 1214 (LHBS doesn't stock White Labs) then followed the recipe as well as I could. Boil done and cooled it had was 1.090 OG but kinda darker than I was expecting from the description. May have mucked something up but not sure what.

Fermentation started fine and I'm very pleased I chose to follow the advice of folks here to use a blow-off tube not an airlock. Smells amazing. Now on day 16 in primary and the gravity has been stuck at 1.020 for 4 days. Ferm temps between 64 and 69F. I was hoping for lower after reading the thread and am not sure exactly what, if anything, to do.

Leave it longer and hope something happens? Move it to somewhere warmer? Lob in some champagne yeast? Rack it to bright tank for clearing and bulk aging as it's done? Sorry if these are daft questions, I'm new at this.

Cheers

Rob

Old 11-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #529
CSI

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobanyBigjobz View Post
Made up an extract batch of this as my first adventure in doing something more complicated than a kit. Thanks to HuRRiC4Ne for the recipe I love Belgian tripels but living in the UK I'm never likely to see any real Final Absolution.

Made up a starter with a single smack pack of Wyeast 1214 (LHBS doesn't stock White Labs) then followed the recipe as well as I could. Boil done and cooled it had was 1.090 OG but kinda darker than I was expecting from the description. May have mucked something up but not sure what.

Fermentation started fine and I'm very pleased I chose to follow the advice of folks here to use a blow-off tube not an airlock. Smells amazing. Now on day 16 in primary and the gravity has been stuck at 1.020 for 4 days. Ferm temps between 64 and 69F. I was hoping for lower after reading the thread and am not sure exactly what, if anything, to do.

Leave it longer and hope something happens? Move it to somewhere warmer? Lob in some champagne yeast? Rack it to bright tank for clearing and bulk aging as it's done? Sorry if these are daft questions, I'm new at this.

Cheers

Rob
Do you have the estimate on pitch cell count used? For a big ale like this to attenuate down dry for the Tripel style one would need something to the tune of about 260-270 billion cells. Just a guess on why the gravity stalled.

One smack pack, (100 billion cells), inoculating a 2.6 - 2.7 Liter starter at 10P would be about right.

Handy doc on pitch rates per gravity below:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/...-_rev_1.10.pdf

RobanyBigjobz Likes This 
Old 11-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #530
RobanyBigjobz
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks CSI, that link's very helpful. If I've done the maths right on my swirl-as-I-walk-by starter I pitched only about 200 billion. Starters are more complicated and important than I thought. Still, learning new stuff is good

Is there anything I can/should do to get the gravity to where most folks seem to get it or should I chalk this up as a learning experience?

Quick Reply