Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Extract - Belgian Trippel (2006 World Beer Cup Gold Medal: Dragonmead Final Absolution clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #491
HuRRiC4Ne
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMXELITE View Post
HuRRiC4Ne,

I'm about to try the all extract version of this and I had a question for you. This is my only second time brewing so I'm still learning. You mentioned making this into a Quad so is that only adding another 3.3 lbs of LME? Also what is the total boil time for this recipe 60 or 90 min?

Thanks
Quads are usually around 11 to 12%, so use this tool to calculate what you will get. Remember that yeast will have a very high attenuation. http://www.brewersfriend.com/extract-ogfg/

And a boil time of 60 minutes, no reason to boil any longer. Note, if your going with a quad, then i would counter balance it with higher IBU's... So maybe a 90 minute boil? and/or more hops... use brewerfriend.com to figure out the IBU's also. It's all personal preference, so experiment... I would guess a 35 to 40 IBU would be nice for a Belgian quad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #492
kagythings
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed this on Sept 28 and it's bubbling away at 72 degrees. Let's say fermentation is done and I transfer to a secondary at 14 days. Main reason for the secondary is to split the batch. 3 gallons regular and 2.5 gallons on oak chips. I've done a lot of reading on the quantity of oak as well as the time in the secondary with oak but I'm all ears if you have brewed an oak beer before. My question is: Will the beer be ready to bottle at 4 weeks since I will be leaving town for 6 weeks and would like it to be ready when I get back mid December?
I can bottle Oct 28 or 29 and let the beer condition and carb for 6 weeks or should I give it the extra 6 weeks in a carboy?

Old 10-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #493
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

You could get some ideas from the Allagash Curieux clone thread, http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/alla...-clone-250654/. I currently have that one in a primary and will be adding the oak cubes and racking to secondary this weekend.

2 weeks of oak chips for 2.5 gal might end up giving it a very strong oak character. Oak chips seem to give more oakiness due to the higher contact area than cubes. If you go with oak chips you may want to think about only keeping it on the oak for 4 -7 days, try a sample every couple days, when it's got the oak that you're looking for rack and bottle.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #494
songe
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What sparge temp is preferable with this brew? got the ingridients today and want to try this when im back from a business trip in a few days.. And has anyone tried adding a spoon of servomycsis to the brew?

Old 10-22-2013, 02:08 AM   #495
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by songe View Post
What sparge temp is preferable with this brew? got the ingridients today and want to try this when im back from a business trip in a few days.. And has anyone tried adding a spoon of servomycsis to the brew?
I sparged today with 190-200F water. I really don't think it matters. You'll find that sparge temperature is by no means a crucial part of brewing up a recipe. As long as it's enough to achieve a mash-out temperature and wash away the majority of the residual sugars you want in order to achieve your desired efficiency, it'll be fine.

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 10-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #496
FredTheNuke
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv
I sparged today with 190-200F water. I really don't think it matters. You'll find that sparge temperature is by no means a crucial part of brewing up a recipe. As long as it's enough to achieve a mash-out temperature and wash away the majority of the residual sugars you want in order to achieve your desired efficiency, it'll be fine.
Minor correction - high sparge temp causes tannins to leach from the grain husks which is of particular interest when making Lambics - it gives the bugs more to feed on.

Sour Fermentations In Progress:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps05852f14.jpg

songe Likes This 
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #497
songe
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Sooo doing the AG in BIAB. My first try at BIAB... hope i did goood :P
Another thing.. it too late now.. but i did not get styrian goldings.. MY Brew shop didnt have them. so got some East kent goldings... Will this alter the taste allot?

Uuuhm what the hell went wrong xD got a OG at 1.090 :P guessing this will be a blackout beer....

i used what was in the AG description. tho i used liquid belgian brown candy instead.

uhm.. so it took 26h before fermentation started... Which is a good thing in a way... but its not a vigorous fermentation. kinda like brown ale.. is this normal? smells like banana tho :P

Old 10-31-2013, 04:09 PM   #498
songe
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

This beer tastet weird... well its done in primary... and kinda taste like Tou (Norwegian beer) with 9.20% xD

Old 10-31-2013, 05:52 PM   #499
CSI
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by songe View Post
Sparge at 165 -168F...preferably no more than 170F.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #500
songe
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
Sparge at 165 -168F...preferably no more than 170F.
Was not able to sparge... Not enough room under the exh fan and did not have a strainer that could hold all the grains.

Im kinda freaked out now that i messed this up. My home brew store did not have styrgian goldings.. so i used EKG instead, and they did not have belgian pilsner but gave me pilsner malt heidelberg and munich malt.... will this alter the taste allot? when i took an FG reading yesterday its pretty done fermenting.. but did taste like beer thats been out for a day or two...

Quick Reply